Sportsnet: Greg Brady Tavares done with NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why is Greg Brady Tavares being done with the Isles news?
I'm more interested in what John Tavares is going to do.

If Greg Brady Tavares is a RH PP Dman, the Oilers should trade for his rights.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I still can't believe the Islanders didn't trade him at the deadline when he still not signed to an extension at that point. This isn't just hindsight, I said it at the time, it just seems really irresponsible.

I can't see his rights being worth a lot

Hence the firing of Snow, easily one of the worst GMs in NHL history.

To be honest, I think Tavares would have been leaving, regardless. It shouldn't take your biggest piece potentially leaving for the franchise to finally attempt to get their crap together. The Islanders honestly deserve this. Gotta feel for their fans, since they're the ones who ultimately will feel the most pain.

Islanders gotta do the rebuild right. Patience is key.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I don't believe the Weight story line at all. But I do hope he signs somewhere else, just for the drama. Sorry Islanders fans

Jan 21, 2018
So they fire the Coach that could have got Tavares to stay

And they fire the GM that got them their future #1C for the next decad

hmmmm

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Everyone get an early talk with him though. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point to give much of value. JT and his agent should know this as well. If it's not Islanders then spend that whole week before and even after July 1st interviewing with teams in their cities.

Don't think I'd give much more than a late round pick right now to talk to him.

True but if you get his rights now, you get about two weeks of uncontested talks and hopefully a signing. It is a risk.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hence the firing of Snow, easily one of the worst GMs in NHL history.

To be honest, I think Tavares would have been leaving, regardless. It shouldn't take your biggest piece potentially leaving for the franchise to finally attempt to get their crap together. The Islanders honestly deserve this. Gotta feel for their fans, since they're the ones who ultimately will feel the most pain.

Islanders gotta do the rebuild right. Patience is key.

I agree with most of what you said. I will say, the Islanders are not in a bad spot at all. They have two high picks in this draft, and Matthew Barzal.

They could have added significant pieces to that future core though by moving Tavares at the deadline. Maybe I don't know enough to fully understand the situation, but I don't get the logic in keeping him if he is not sold or motivated enough by the organization to be sign with them by the deadline.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
San Jose, Vegas, maybe Montreal

SJ I could see because they have Kane, Couture, Pavalski, Burns, Jones etc, they have pieces that make them attractive.

But why does Montreal come constantly? I get they have a need but he'd have NOTHING around him you, he may as well stay with the NYI at least there he'd have Lee, Barzal Eberele Montreal has nothing.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Are you sure about this? If you have his contract, then wouldn't resigning him allow you 8 years on the new contract, no matter how long you held the original contract before resigning him?

Only the team that has the player at the end of the season (or at the deadline) can offer eight years.

Trading his rights won't bring back anything meaningful. He's waited this long and half the league is arguably in the running. I don't see why he wouldn't want to hear out what other teams have to say. And even if he was set on signing somewhere specific, he's not going to hamstring that team by forcing them to give up meaningful assets.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He is correct at this point only the Islanders can give him 8 years.
Humor me here as I am a bit slow this morning....he is correct because the Islanders hold his contract currently, I agree. Are you saying that even if his contract is traded at this point, the new team could only give him seven years?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Humor me here as I am a bit slow this morning....he is correct because the Islanders hold his contract currently, I agree. Are you saying that even if his contract is traded at this point, the new team could only give him seven years?

Yes even when rights traded no other team can give him 8 years. I'll be honest don't know the rule exactly but I've heard Bobby Mack say this several times.

Reactions: MinJaBen

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
SJ I could see because they have Kane, Couture, Pavalski, Burns, Jones etc, they have pieces that make them attractive.

But why does Montreal come constantly? I get they have a need but he'd have NOTHING around him you, he may as well stay with the NYI at least there he'd have Lee, Barzal Eberele Montreal has nothing.
The only things Montreal will have going for them to have 0.01% chance to sign JT is a good amount of cap space + maybe he wants to play with Weber/Price (and some good wingers for him).

But the main reason he would go to Montreal would be to piss you off :thumbu:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yes even when rights traded no other team can give him 8 years. I'll be honest don't know the rule exactly but I've heard Bobby Mack say this several times.
I just looked it up in the CBA, you have to be on the team's list as of the most recent trading deadline for the 8 years to be an option. So, you and Bobby are correct.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Umm so the Habs have:
Price (top 3 goalie in the world)
Weber (despite the hate he gets top 10 Dman)
A crap ton of good wingers including Chucky, Drouin, Zadina, and Gallagher for the top 6. ( Two guys capable of scoring 30 + Zadina who people have being pegged as 35+ goal guy and then we get to drouin. But yeah Habs have nothing. And that's ignoring whatever we get for patches.

Edit: oh and cap space, a ton of it.

Reactions: Hardworker33

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They could have added significant pieces to that future core though by moving Tavares at the deadline. Maybe I don't know enough to fully understand the situation, but I don't get the logic in keeping him if he is not sold or motivated enough by the organization to be sign with them by the deadline.

Being inconsistently decisive is what brought NYI to this point. I mean, consider this - NYI came out of the playoffs in 2013 full of hope, but they needed to address goaltending and their defense. Garth Snow did *nothing*. Come the next offseason, after an epic fail, NYI add Leddy, Boychuk and Halak. They continue to improve a bit, but fail. They had the chances to add to their D and hire an experienced coach, but they declined. Things deteriorate. And then comes the debacle of the last year... I mean, it's just bad. A lot of Snow's best moves (Visnovsky, Leddy, Boychuk, Halak, Grabner, Hickey) were merely opportunistic. He didn't do anything to move the team forward according to a plan. Moving from one inexperienced coach to the next is evidence.

That's how we got here. I don't know how NYI moves forward. But I know that it will be according to some plan, and that will extend to coaching.

All that said, the idea that going from opportunism, lazy coaching hires, and no accountability to the opposite will make JT want to leave more than he did before? Nobody should believe that. It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce