Movies: Greatest Horror Trilogy(-ies) of All-Time?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Tis the season, so in your opinion, what is the greatest horror trilogy of all-time? Or your favorite trilogies? I'm willing to include 3 chronological films in larger franchises as well for the discussion if you'd like.

I was trying to brainstorm, but I can't think of anything that holds a candle to Romero's Dead Trilogy (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead). They seem to cover all the bases needed in the creation of excellent films while being revolutionary, entertaining on multiple levels, and having real meaningful commentary. Evil Dead may be closest and Alien has a couple peaks but a notable drop into 3. Post any and everything that belongs in the conversation or from your personal viewpoint. :hhal:

Reactions: shadow1

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Fear Street on Netflix was very underrated since they did a piss poor job advertising it. Not the best by any means, but an underrated Horror Trilogy.

edit - didn't realize till now that it was based off R.L. Stine books.

Reactions: Neil Racki

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Fear Street on Netflix was very underrated since they did a piss poor job advertising it. Not the best by any means, but an underrated Horror Trilogy.

edit - didn't realize till now that it was based off R.L. Stine books.

They've been on my to watch list for quite some time and I just never pull the trigger.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I was trying to brainstorm, but I can't think of anything that holds a candle to Romero's Dead Trilogy (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead).
Problem is that it's not a trilogy if you have to include Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and the atrocious Survival of the Dead. If you only consider the first three films, yeah, that's untouchable.

We had a similar discussion before (bingable horror series), and my answer had the Romero films at #7. The Fear Street trilogy would not make the cut and is actually pretty bad. I had Part 2 at 3/10, and it was by a fair margin the best one.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
As a trilogy (even within a larger series) I also have to go with Romero's 3 original Dead films.

First 3 Exorcists (though 2 is a slog). Evil Dead (though 3 is a bit of a different animal).

The major horror series are tough because they're so inconsistent. Friday the 13th 2-4 is probably it's best, most representative run. No shame there.

Halloween has two clear trilogies in it with 4-6 (woof) and the David Gordon Green movies (which I liked but am in a minority on). But 1-2 is when it's at its best.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3-5 work as a trilogy but like Halloween, it dodges the best movies.

Gonna repeat myself a bit too ...

If you allow some cheating and accept Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy" as a thing -- The Thing, Prince of Darkness, In The Mouth of Madness -- then that's way up there for me.

Or Stuart Gordon's four Lovecraft adaptations, but pedantic me says that is four movies, not three. Two real bangers though.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Problem is that it's not a trilogy if you have to include Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and the atrocious Survival of the Dead. If you only consider the first three films, yeah, that's untouchable.

We had a similar discussion before (bingable horror series), and my answer had the Romero films at #7. The Fear Street trilogy would not make the cut and is actually pretty bad. I had Part 2 at 3/10, and it was by a fair margin the best one.

Thanks. Ha, linking me to another thread I made myself. :) . Yeah, I felt this was more of a one off. Entire franchises is trickier, especially with the longer ones. Best 3 consecutive films could get interesting if we were to make a top 5 in that horror category.

Alien 1-3 is an interesting case too. Works as a trilogy. But is Aliens too much of a muscular, action departure from the creepier haunted house vibes of 1 and 3?

Oh and Scream 1-3 is pretty solid.

Yeah, it works enough within the realm. Similar to a "Predator" horror film if you will.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Best 3 consecutive films could get interesting if we were to make a top 5 in that horror category.
Ok, so that would be, in terms of quality films, three consecutive films part of a series or with a concrete thematic link...

1) Romero's Night-Dawn-Day
2) Scott's Alien films (Prometheus, Covenant, Alien - in timeline order, that's a very good sequence of films)
3) The Body Snatchers films (Siegel's in 56, Kaufman's in 78, Ferrara's in 93)
4) Argento's Three Mothers
5) Gordon's Lovecraft cycle (I think you have to go Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, even though Dagon is my favorite adaptation of the lot)
6) Fulci's Gates of Hell

If we're to include the Alien films (not sure I would), they have to be pretty near the top. There's a thematic trilogy somewhere in Cronenberg's work too. Some say Crimes of the Future (70), Shivers, Rabid, others would go Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, but the best one would be Videodrome, eXistenZ, Crimes of the Future (22). All pretty interesting groupings, but that last one would make my top 5 easily.

And with the more popular film franchises, it would be close for me between the first three Amityville films, and Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy. F13 2-3-4 is indeed a very good sequence, probably the best slashers have to offer (too bad Zombie didn't do his third film, he would have been in the listed top tier). Now Halloween has to be 1-2-3, very tight to the F13 one, maybe a little better, but strays away from the slasher genre. Elm Street, I'd go 1-2-3 for the best sequence, leaving the second best film out (7). Phantasm you could go 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 and have a pretty fun three films, even though quality is questionable. And you just can't have a Hellraiser or Exorcist sequence without having an intolerable turd in it. I don't mind the japanese franchises, they're ok, and I kind of like the Cloverfield one, but like Alien, it feels not-so-much horror. I'm sure I'm forgetting something important.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
House of 1000 Corpses
The Devils Rejects
3 from Hell

Always a fun time with The Firefly Family :devdance:

IMG_3962.gif

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Certainly the strength of Hellraiser 1 & 2 would qualify the series for consideration
If it was a pairing of films and not a trio, it would certainly be in the higher grounds. Hickox crapped the bed so bad with the third film that it's unreceivable (to me) here!

• Haha
Reactions: shadow1

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
House of 1000 Corpses
The Devils Rejects
3 from Hell

Always a fun time with The Firefly Family :devdance:

View attachment 748708

Yup, great movies that dont try to be anything more than what they are. It's too bad there was such a time gap between Rejects and 3 From Hell, would've loved to see more Sid Haig in #3. Side note, House of 1000 Corpses is doing a few day theater run the next week or so nationally. Going to be a fun time and expecting a Rocky Horror atmosphere.

I'll add Return of the Living Dead to the thread. Yeah it's cheesy and certainly not going to be showed at Cannes but damn if it isn't just a fun gory time. To make it a trilogy lets fudge a meta humor horror trilogy with Return of the Living Dead - Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Last edited:
Reactions: 93gilmour93

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Yup, great movies that dont try to be anything more than what they are. It's too bad there was such a time gap between Rejects and 3 From Hell, would've loved to see more Sid Haig in #3. Side note, House of 1000 Corpses is doing a few day theater run the next week or so nationally. Going to be a fun time and expecting a Rocky Horror atmosphere.

I'll add Return of the Living Dead to the thread. Yeah it's cheesy and certainly not going to be showed at Cannes but damn if it isn't just a fun gory time. To make it a trilogy lets fudge a meta humor horror trilogy with Return of the Living Dead - Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Again a franchise that took a real bad drop with #3. I love Yuzna, but that was a big fail.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Well if we're not big on continuity i'd vote for Carpenter (The Thing, Prince of Darkness & In the Mouth of Madness). If we're talking about with a story (kinda) i'll die on the Evil Dead hill (1,2 & Army of Darkness).

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Well if we're not big on continuity i'd vote for Carpenter (The Thing, Prince of Darkness & In the Mouth of Madness). If we're talking about with a story (kinda) i'll die on the Evil Dead hill (1,2 & Army of Darkness).
My wife and I just rewatched the three Evil Dead movies in order a few weeks ago. So much fun and definitely have that trilogy right up there on the list in my top 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad