Greatest goal scorer ever? Ovy or?

Greatest goal scorer of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Bossy in a modern context is like a guy who scores 40+ every year and 50+ a few times. His GPG is inflated by his early retirement and the streak of 50 goals seasons is partially a function of the era in which he played. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Ovechkin all peaked higher.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Lots of love for Ovechkin but is he? Both Gretzky and Bossy had 5 seasons of 60 plus goals.
Both had nine 50+ goal seasons. Ovy has one 60 goal season and 6 50 goal seasons. Bossy scored 50+ goals nine straight seasons. Gretzky 8. I say GR8 is great but not the greatest nor will he be.
Who has your vote and why?
How can you have Bossy and Crosby as choices but not Hull or Richard?

Reactions: vicprestige

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
being the only elite scorer in your generation <> being the best of all time.

not exactly hard to rack up Ross wins when only a handful of players top 40 each year.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Bobby Hull. 600+ goals in the NHL and another 300+ in the WHA.

Best shooter, best skater, strongest, fastest, bestest. Bobby. Also a shitty husband.

Reactions: Intact

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Has anyone ever claimed Crosby to be the best goal scorer ever? Cause that's just a weird addition to this list.

Regardless, I have my number 1 for goal scoring as Gretzky right now. Ovi is sure trying to make that claim though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ovechkin has take the number one title. Hes better than Crosby (Why is he in this poll?), Bossy, Lemeiux (didnt play enough to have that number one title), and I think he has officially passed Gretzky as well. Gretzky has the 92 goal season but if youre looking at adjusted goals for the era (this isnt a perfect stat either), 92 goals adjusts to 68 while Ovehkins 65 goal year is 72.

Ovechkins 65 goal peak is arguably higher than Grettzkys 92 but even if you want to call it even, Gretzky only led the league in goals 5 times while Ovechkin is now looking at number 8 this year which would be the most all time

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
True, but had an excellent rate of production through a low-scoring era and for that reason has more adjusted goals than any other modern-day player. It depends on what one wants to emphasize, peak or longevity.

I guess I just don't see how longevity can matter so much to completely override peak and prime. I can understand putting someone who was great for say 10 years over someone greater for only 5, but Jagr's numbers are mainly the result of having a great but clearly lower prime than other goalscorers, but then playing forever. I find it really hard to put someone who was never considered the best goalscorer in the league at any point in time over someone who was for several years. Also, adjusted stats favour DPE players because of how large a percentage of goals were scored on the PP (where star players play more)

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Gretzky's got the record only because he played his peak during an exceptional high-scoring era, he doesn't belong to this discussion. Ovechkin, Hull, Jágr, Selänne.
What did Selanne and Jagr do to be considered better goal scorers than Gretzky?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Gretzky was only 23 the last time he lead the league in goals per game

It defies logic that the very best goal scorer ever couldn't lead the league in that category after the age of 23

Lemieux, on the other hand, came out of a 3 year retirement and lead the league in goals per game at the age of 35

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Greatest? I voted Gretzky.

He's great because he did all the big things. Broke the single season record. Most playoff goals. Career goals.

I think Ovechkin will get there, i just don't think he's there yet.

Lemieux is *not* the greatest, but if the question was "best" I'd probably vote him.

The top 3 names for greatest should be Gretzky, Ovechkin and Bobby Hull in some order.

Reactions: Forceofnature

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Bossy in a modern context is like a guy who scores 40+ every year and 50+ a few times. His GPG is inflated by his early retirement and the streak of 50 goals seasons is partially a function of the era in which he played. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Ovechkin all peaked higher.
Why try and minimize what Bossy did?

Over a thousand guys played in his era yet he was the only one to score 50+ goals 9 years in a row and score 17 goals in the playoffs 3 years in a row winning cups.

The 12 Best Clutch Goalscorers in NHL History

Reactions: RMimagery

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Greatest? I voted Gretzky.

He's great because he did all the big things. Broke the single season record. Most playoff goals. Career goals.

I think Ovechkin will get there, i just don't think he's there yet.

Lemieux is *not* the greatest, but if the question was "best" I'd probably vote him.

The top 3 names for greatest should be Gretzky, Ovechkin and Bobby Hull in some order.

What's the delineation between "greatest" and "best"?

Reactions: Hippasus

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Gretzsky easily...not too mention while putting up ridiculous goal totals was more focused on getting assists in his career.

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
did you not read what he wrote?
I'll take hockey writer's opinions over random Hfers. Here's another article in case you missed the other one above...

The NHL's 25 Best Pure Goal Scorers of All Time

Again, not saying best ever because of his back/shortened career, but it was enough to create enough damage reg season/playoffs to be top 3 in a lot of writer's lists.

In his 10 years...http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad