Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Fun shots RGO..... McLeods pads look beyond well used.... and maybe its just me but Goldies skates up there also look rather ancient huh? New in about 1959.. & even then old stock.... they dont even look like they have the plastic protectors on the top end back of the tube. Maurice Richard "Rocket" model from Eatons, Macy's Department Store or whatever....

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
KenandDaveDryden.jpg

March 20, 1971 - Ken Dryden (Montreal) and Dave Dryden (Buffalo) would become the first brothers in NHL history to face each other in game action as goalies. Ken had recently been brought up from the minor leagues and had 2 games under his belt in the NHL when the next game was to be against the Sabres. As the visiting team, Buffalo designated its starting lineup first and listed Dave Dryden as starting goalie for the Sabres. Montreal coach Al MacNeil then designated Rogie Vachon to start in goal for the Canadiens. After the game's initial stoppage in play, when Imlach was first allowed to make a change, he replaced Dave with Joe Daley. Dave and Ken would watch the game from opposing benches. However, early in the second period Vachon went down with an injury and Canadiens coach Al MacNeil replaced him with Ken Dryden. When Sabres coach Punch Imlach saw what was taking place he sent Dave out to replace Joe Daley. Montreal would go on to win the game 5-2. Following the game, as Ken was skating toward his bench, Dave skated across center in Ken's direction to meet him and they shook hands.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
messierracer18.jpg

1978/79 - Mark Messier of the Indianapolis Racers in action against the Edmonton Oilers. Messier had signed a five-game tryout contract with the Racers at the age of 17. He failed to register a point and was released just before the Racers folded. Shortly after being released by Indianapolis, Messier was signed as a free agent by the Cincinnati Stingers and would play the remainder of the season with them. Following what would be the final season of the WHA, Messier would be drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in the third round (48th overall) in the 1979 NHL Entry Draft. When he retired, Messier was the last former WHA player still active on the ice as a player.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
cut.jpg

1958-60 ca - Dickie Moore trying to beat Johnny Bower

former-first-round-pick-heisman-winner-rashaan-salaam-found-dead-at-42__715823_.jpg

April 14, 1966 – Veteran Bill Gadsby with his game face on as he's giving Stan Mikita a hard time

cut.jpg

1967-68 ca – A young Derek Sanderson

cut.jpg

1967-69 ca - Terry Sawchuk making a sprawling save

local-input-philadelphia-flyers-dave-schultz-hits-kansas-ci.jpeg

1974/75 - Dave Schultz cross-checking Brent Hughes. This was the season that Schultz collected 472 penalty minutes. An NHL-record that still stands

cut.jpg

May 21, 1979 – Standup save by John Davidson

tspa_0050328f.jpg

1981 - Ex-NHL'er Brian Glennie with his new career serving customers. He was a part owner of Wheels, a restaurant-bar in an old Toronto filling station

tspa_0038848f.jpg

January 6, 1988 – Wendel Clark pummeling Bob Brooke after having scored two goals in the game

tspa_0048654f.jpg

October 9, 1991 – Grant Fuhr all alone as fans are pelting the ice with drinks and food after referee Richard Trottier handed out seven straight penalties to the Leafs (including a few coincidental)

r28624_1296x729_16-9.jpg

February 13, 1991 - Ken Daneyko beating Tie Domi in a fight

cut.jpg

October 27, 1999 – Pavel Bure victimizing a corkscrewed Felix Potvin for one of his two goals in the game

gal-hip-injury-9-jpg.jpg

June 9, 2003 – Conn Smythe Trophy winner Jean-Sebastien Giguere after falling short of a Stanley Cup

tumblr_m593xs34VP1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

June 6, 2012 - Martin Brodeur making a "Hasek move" against Trevor Lewis

tumblr_mjx2x7JWJU1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

March 14, 2013 - Tyler Bozak on his knees beating Marc-Andre Fleury from a minimal angle

cut.jpg

2015-16 ca - Sergei Bobrovsky in the spotlight

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So Dryden went from that mask (which looks the same as his brothers) to the pretzel mask he wore for the playoffs?

I found that part of it odd myself as I was familiar with Ken Dryden's pretzel mask but not the one in the picture. I have located another picture of the handshake that actually shows Dave Dryden with a different mask and Ken Dryden with no mask on the top of his head. I believe Ken used to place his mask behind the top of his leg pad prior to the start of the game as well as when the game ended. Maybe the picture was a reenactment of the occasion as I noticed that Dave is wearing number 28 but in the other picture that I recently located he is wearing number 30. I will upload the other picture on Monday as I am unable to copy and paste from my iPhone.

Reactions: SealsFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I have located another picture of the handshake that actually shows Dave Dryden with a different mask and Ken Dryden with no mask on the top of his head. I believe Ken used to place his mask behind the top of his leg pad prior to the start of the game as well as when the game ended. Maybe the picture was a reenactment of the occasion as I noticed that Dave is wearing number 28 but in the other picture that I recently located he is wearing number 30. I will upload the other picture on Monday as I am unable to copy and paste from my iPhone.

22E7SQFK2FBTXCVKPQS2NXXMBM

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

This, as far as I've always known, is the famous picture of the brother's shaking hands. Dryden definitely wore the pretzel mask throughout his rookie season because it's the mask he wore while he played for Cornell. I'm not sure what that other picture is, but it's definitely not the brothers shaking hands in 1971 after facing each other in the NHL for the first time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This, as far as I've always known, is the famous picture of the brother's shaking hands. Dryden definitely wore the pretzel mask throughout his rookie season because it's the mask he wore while he played for Cornell. I'm not sure what that other picture is, but it's definitely not the brothers shaking hands in 1971 after facing each other in the NHL for the first time.

Right. And I think the date was March 19/71..... That other picture is clearly from (they faced each other 4 or 5 more times over their careers) a later date, possibly a Pre-Season Exhibition Game as Ken there is sporting what appears to be a Jacques Plante Fibro-Sport Mask (as is Dave) which to the best of my knowledge he never used in RS games. I do know as well that mask maker Greg Harrison did make a pair of identical masks at the same time for Dave & Ken, and what we might be looking at is Gregs' "take-off" on the Plante Fibro-Sport model, copied it.... I'm sure if we dig deeper, find the answer, but for now thats my story & Im stickin to it.....

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Thanks for posting that picture FerrisRox. That was the one that I came upon earlier this evening when you initially inquired about the masks. The story behind the Dryden brothers playing against each other in the NHL for the first time is what originally grabbed my attention. I remember watching the game on TV as I was a Montreal fan back then and thought it was neat to see both of them playing against each other. I also liked the fact that they shook hands prior to leaving the ice after the game. As Killion mentioned, they faced each other on a few occasions after that. There is a feature by Ken Dryden in the Globe and Mail dated February 1, 2013 that describes the event under the title - Ken Dryden: Sibling Rivalries in sport are 'never fun'. I did go back to check the NHL schedule to verify the game was played on March 20, 1971. Thanks again for catching the feux pas picture as it was not my intent to include one that did not match the story.

Reactions: Killion

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
tspa_0095492f.jpg

September 1972 – Inspired by the 1971 movie A Clockwork Orange? Team Canada stretching like ballerinas. The guy second from right. I don't know if his outfit is on backwards or if it´s just ripped, ouch.

tspa_0051340f.jpg

1975 – Gilles “Grattoony the Loony” Gratton showing off his goalie underwear

patrick-roy-js-giguere.jpg

1989-91 ca - Jean-Sébastien Giguère and Patrick Roy

SCPhotoGallery2.JPG

January 19, 2013 – LA Stanley Cup banner

edgars-masalskis-082614-ftr-apjpg_ft48e1axnwl81ptify9ss51uc.jpg

May 19, 2014 – No it's not a scene from the Invisible Man, it's Latvian goalie Edgars Masalskis losing his helmet during the World Championships

nhl-preseason-boston-bruins-montreal-canadiens.jpg

September 23, 2014 - Kevan Miller (# 86) kicked in the nuts by teammate Niklas Svedberg (# 72)

a0825e274423cabef27cbb6db874eee9.jpg

November 18, 2014 – 47-year old emergency backup Arturs Irbe having his 1990s Hasek style gear ready

cut.jpg

April 4, 2016 – Jonathan Quick making an acrobatic save on Bo Horvat (# 53). Drew Doughty (# 8) in the background

November 28, 2017 - Jake Muzzin crunching Dylan Larkin

cut.jpg

December 5, 2017 - Peaceful moment on the Winnipeg Jets bench – Patrik Laine (# 29) – Bryan Little (# 18) – Nikolaj Ehlers (# 27)

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
ching-j.jpg

January 14, 1934 – The ever so tough Ching Johnson (# 3) stretched out on the ice. Ott Heller (center) and what looks like Murray Murdoch or Butch Keeling

salm-12-forstorad.jpg

1956-57 ca – Rare photo of Swedish Hall of Famer Borje Salming as a kid, standing by on the left (the small blond one) while his older brother Stig is holding a pike. Borje's father died when he was six and the Salming brothers quickly learned how to take care of themselves. Northern Sweden there looks like it could be somewhere in the Canadian wilderness, or Russian for that matter. Other people in the picture are his relatives (brother, mother (with the pike), and grandmother)

backcheck.jpeg

November 25, 1962 - Al MacNeil lifts off over Bruce MacGregor

Fergie.jpg

1960s – An intense John Ferguson can’t be stopped while duking it out with a Bruin

f1wmf6.jpg

March 2, 1966 – Orland Kurtenbach and a bloodied Terry Harper (# 19)

konovalenkoViktor.jpg

1960s – Before Vladislav Tretiak it was Viktor Konovalenko that ruled the goalie position on the Soviet national team

scan0018.jpg

1970/71 - Old school hit on Gerry Meehan (# 15) by Terry Crisp

cut.jpg

1975/76 – Peter Scamurra (# 6) and Yvon Lambert (# 11) in a battle along the boards

ap_9004050226.jpg

April 5, 1990 - Steve Larmer knocks Stewart Gavin (# 12) to the ice in front of Jon Casey

45251f610808e15fe0fc861f771db43c.jpg

January 28, 1991 – Heavyweight tilt between two legendary fighters, Bob Probert and Troy Crowder

gal-leetch11-jpg.jpg

December 1, 1998 - Brian Leetch scoring the game-tying goal with one second left of regulation

maxresdefault.jpg

October 2014 – What do you do when your car breaks down on the way to a Quad City Mallards game? You take a bus of course

29WIDEMANweb-master768.jpg

January 27, 2016 - Linesman Don Henderson after having been crosschecked by Dennis Wideman who initially was slapped with a 20 game suspension. It was later reduced to 10 but by that time he had already served 19 games. Henderson also filed a lawsuit for more than $ 10 million (CAD)

GettyImages-875143554.jpg

November 16, 2017 - Christian Folin (#5) welcoming rookie Danton Heinen (# 43) to the NHL

cut.jpg

November 28, 2017 - Hockey Fights Cancer

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Another great series RGO!.... Love the shot of Salming & family and ya, that could just as easily be northern Ontario, PQ, Manitoba.... very similar memories myself from my childhood on Georgian Bay, my Grandmother cleaning a pike on an old washstand... hungry gulls making a racket, circling overhead.... that Shot of Ferguson up there as well, really captures the moment, what typified him as a player. Intense. He was never a "show fighter". Meant business.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Baun.jpg

1957-59 ca – Don Marshall and Bob Baun taking positions like a pair of gladiators

chicago-black-hawk-player-ed-litzenberger-talking-to-coach-rudy-picture-id50707628

April 2, 1959 - Coach Rudy Pilous giving sound advice to his captain Ed Litzenberger

NHL-Great-Expansion-Hockey.jpeg

March 2, 1972 - Dennis Hextall (# 22) flips over the back of Bill Brossart while Brent Hughes (# 5) is in the thick of things as well

tspa_0095566f.jpg

October 1, 1972 – You're the best daddy ! - Canadian hero Paul Henderson being greeted by his daughter at the airport

boston-bruins-lunch-pail-ac-1300.jpg

1977-79 ca – Four future Hall of Famers - Jean Ratelle – Ken Dryden – Brad Park – Serge Savard

CtDt_2CXYAA1dJy.jpg

March 20, 1980 - Future referee Paul Stewart having words with Lanny McDonald, and wielding his stick is “Dr.Hook” himself, Bobby Schmautz who could carve you up like a surgeon. Both Schmautz and Stewart picked up 22 penalty minutes in the game

tspa_0050061f.jpg

1993 – No it's not Marion "Cobra" Cobretti, it's just Doug Gilmour, the biker

kartinki24_hockey_0017.jpg

May 18, 2008 – Painful night for the Canadians during the 2008 World Championship final in Québec

tumblr_lugnmfnfwt1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

November 5, 2011 – Yii-haa, let's all join in. Mayhem as Kyle Brodziak gets pulled down by Roman Polak (# 46) who is in the grips of Marek Zidlicky (# 3). Nick Johnson is also there fighting with Jamie Langenbrunner (only helmet visible - # 15)

tie-domi-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-alumni-gets-his-hat-stol.jpeg

December 31, 2017 – Centennial Classic Alumni Game – Chris Chelios having fun with Tie Domi

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Love the Henderson-Daughter, Pilous-Litzenberger... both of which Ive never
seen before along with the overhead shot of Dryden and those "Mayhem" photo's...

... nicely done, thanks 4 sharing. :)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
AM3H5NYNWZCHFE2H7H6VDRTOAQ

Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau drops the puck for Canada's Phil Esposito and Vladimir Vikulov of the Soviet Union to open the 1972 Summit Series.

Reactions: Millsie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad