Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Olaf Kolzig doing, I wanna say, goal stick air guitar?

2e33feca0b0f4feeb3076047ef79e915--air-guitar-olaf.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have to admit that I was a little surprised to see how small the amount of tape was used by Orr on his sticks during his career. The amount of tape in the early years did indeed look like a lot by comparison.

Interestingly Orr didnt even know or care about "stick lies" when he entered Junior giving you some idea as to just how "backwoods" he & a lot of others were back in the day when it came to sticks. Story goes that he did fool around with un-taped sticks and loved the feel of them with the puck and began using less & less & less tape when he entered the NHL, believing there was a Rule that all sticks had to be taped so he eventually got it down to a single strip "hope I dont get busted" type dealeo before being informed that "no, no such rule exists".... and so later in his career, no tape at all.

Some other funny stories about guys going tapeless or as is well known many beyond particular about every aspect of their stick, lie of course, weight, flex, curve, thickness of the knob & blade, on & on & on and of course, taping the blade "just so"..... Guy Lafluer in particular... arriving hours before game time & everyone else & spending much of it getting his sticks "just right". Well, some players being the Jokesters, most notably Lafleurs teammate Guy Lapointe would sometimes "mess" with Lafleurs tape job when he wasnt lookin, otherwise occupied, The Flower pretty much losing his **** as a result. Not laughin..... Lapointe knowing there would be retribution going tapeless altogether in order to avoid being targeted with same from Lafleur. :D

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
contacts1.jpeg

When I laid eyes on this picture for the first time, I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Is this one very strange hockey brawl? Nope. Here is the Chicago Tribune explanation from March, 1962:

"Dollard St. Laurent, Hawk defenseman, first caught Mr. Nevin in the corner, lined him up, and then gave him a body slam. As Nevin started to collapse, Dolly landed a short left hook that Referee Eddie Powers didn’t see, and then collapsed on the prone Nevin — knees first. Play continued after Nevin arose, but the swift Toronto right winger just stood in one spot motionless, yelling for help. Time was called and players from both teams dropped to hands and knees searching for the lenses. They never were found, and Nevin groped thru the remainder of the game."

Nevin, BTW, is #11 in the photo. And contact lenses were worn by several players in the 50s and 60s
"

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
When you got to light up. Anything goes at the Boston Garden in 1974. Notice the NO SMOKING sign above.

View attachment 82519

That place just reeked of cigarette and cigar smoke and a few other unpleasant odors. You needed a gas mask when walking up and down those ramps, then you got to North Station on your way out which was even worse!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
^^^ The first picture is as great as a rectal exam. Yuk. (Edit, man, edit.)

The second pic is why I like your post.

Here is the building in 1866 in all its majesty (one wishes for good interior shots):

Crystal_Palace_in_Montreal_1866.jpg

Is there any earlier photo of the actual ice than this 1881:

220px-Hockey_match%2C_Crystal_Palace_skating_rink%2C_Montreal%2C_QC%2C_1881.jpg

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Very nice, thanks C58 & VanIsle for digging those up & posting.... What are all of those buildings & what look like bleacher seats etc in the foreground of the first photo? Looks like additional sports facilities perhaps?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
^^^ Very nice, thanks C58 & VanIsle for digging those up & posting.... What are all of those buildings & what look like bleacher seats etc in the foreground of the first photo? Looks like additional sports facilities perhaps?

Actually you caught the value of the first picture. The venue was moved, not a new one built to the suburbs - Village de St.Louis, from downtown Montreal. The field to the south featured various buildings and structures that were part of the original Fletcher's Field, a multi-purpose venue for various athletic events, fairs, exhibitions, military training etc. North-south about a mile long.

First known move by a team and arena to the suburbs.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Obviously top row, 2nd from the right. good looking healthy full head of hair all with a lot pf "pomade" in it Sir.... Damn kids..... why doesnt he just get a haircut?! :madfire: .... and above that, yes indeedy, a young Doug Harvey in the letter jacket, letter 'A' to be specific, representing who/what precisely I know not (his compatriots in that photo a real mixed bag of uniforms & logoized sweaters etc) but Harvey like a lot of hockey players of his generation & earlier, fewer later on but enough to mention also quite excellent baseball players. More than a few offered MLB & or Minor League, be it AAA or AA Contracts.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
^^^ Obviously top row, 2nd from the right. good looking healthy full head of hair all with a lot pf "pomade" in it Sir.... Damn kids..... why doesnt he just get a haircut?! :madfire: .... and above that, yes indeedy, a young Doug Harvey in the letter jacket, letter 'A' to be specific, representing who/what precisely I know not (his compatriots in that photo a real mixed bag of uniforms & logoized sweaters etc) but Harvey like a lot of hockey players of his generation & earlier, fewer later on but enough to mention also quite excellent baseball players. More than a few offered MLB & or Minor League, be it AAA or AA Contracts.

Atwater or Snowdon softball league. Perhaps an All-Star Game. Back to the Crystal Palace, you also had horse racing, lacrosse and other sports on the fields.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Back to the Crystal Palace, you also had horse racing, lacrosse and other sports on the fields.

Yes... "Back to Crystal Palace".... which sounds like a possible song or even album title from Procol Harem or Uriah Heap that was never released... maybe a "Live" Who Album, all the masters badly damaged, couldnt be salvaged or whatever huh?.... I digress..... and... am I to understand that that entire building was actually deconstructed & moved to that location from another site?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
^^^ The first picture is as great as a rectal exam. Yuk. (Edit, man, edit.)

The second pic is why I like your post.

Here is the building in 1866 in all its majesty (one wishes for good interior shots):

Is there any earlier photo of the actual ice than this 1881:

220px-Hockey_match%2C_Crystal_Palace_skating_rink%2C_Montreal%2C_QC%2C_1881.jpg

The Crystal Palace in Montreal was based on the London version as was the 1898 Aberdeen Pavilion still in use in Ottawa.

Not sure if readers are familiar with the Aberdeen Pavilion in Ottawa. Built in 1898 on a similar type field at Lansdowne Park:

Aberdeen Pavilion | City of Ottawa

Aberdeen Pavilion - Wikipedia

Inspired by the Crystal Palace in London. Basically external ornate shell, empty, adaptable for various needs inside. Common form of Victorian architecture. Ornate on the outside, functional on the inside. Inside would just be a picture of space with basic amenities needed in such a facility.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Aberdeen Pavilion, is, by far, the oldest still-standing building to have hosted a Stanley Cup Final. The 1904 Stanley Cup Final games were played there.

Yeah, and checkout the rates for rental on it. $7800 for a full day which seems pretty damn steep. Its essentially just an aircraft hangar. No seats. No amenities. I dont even know if its got washrooms... and wonder when the last time it was that they had ice in there as the floor looks pretty rough in places..... Seating (bleachers) is 2800.... would make for an interesting venue if the NHL were to stage a total retro throwback game between say the Sens & Habs. And I do mean "throwback". All original circa 1904 equipment including skates, no forward passing, 6 aside (use your top 6 skaters only plus a spare) + the Goalies... dasher boards, whole 9 yards & deck the place out with Union Jacks, bunting & all the rest of the ephemera & heavy draping they were so fond of during that period of the late Victorian / Edwardian age.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
foster_hewitt.jpg

1920s - Norman Albert, the voice of hockey before Foster Hewitt. How about the play-by-play colour commentators of today sitting outside in a snowstorm commenting, wouldn't that be something?

babe.jpg

1932-34 ca - Babe Didrikson Zaharias [1911-56] was a multi-sport star during the golden age of sports, and regarded as one of the all-time greatest female athletes. Here seen at a photoshoot with Rangers goalie Andy Aitkenhead

milt_schmidt4.jpeg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

1942 ca - Milt Schmidt in action. Fern Flaman on the right

b2df3d3dc10cb821a581c232fab790cd--hockey-season-gordon.jpg

1945 - Gordie Howe (Omaha Knights)

ADAMS2c-JACK-AT-MARQUETTE-PRISON-920607.23.jpg

February 2, 1954 - Detroit General Manager Jack Adams (Ted Lindsay with the C) with a makeshift trophy given to the winner of a game between Detroit Red Wings and Marquette Prison Pirates (18:0 after the first period). Imagine the NHLPA of today accepting having their guys playing against a bunch of inmates

jAWyW5T.jpg

1954 - Gordie Howe and Red Kelly

52439527-jacques-plante.jpg.jpg

1954/55 - Jacques Plante and Butch Bouchard (C)

e452d1692541a91d9c0cd29fbf5da4c7.jpg

1960s - Bob Champoux goalie for the San Diego Gulls in a game against Seattle Totems

1972-walt-tkaczuk-bobby-orr-gerry-cheevers-079114223.jpg

1972 - Walt Tkaczuk (# 18) - Bobby Orr (# 4) - Bill Fairbairn (# 10) - Gerry Cheevers (# 30)

65700779aa82907cf8d2fe2f7c5aebce.jpg

1972/73 - Inaugural WHA season. Game between Winnipeg Jets and Minnesota Fighting Saints. Cal Swenson (# 18) celebrating as Jack McCartan (# 30) is down for the count. Bob MacMillan (# 14) looks on

1466155_10151867193328661_237939775_n%2B2.jpg

1974/75 - Terry Ball (# 21) of the Minnesota Fighting Saints stopping Vaclav Nedomansky (# 14) of the Toronto Toros

yvan-cournoyer-079092162.jpg

1974-76 ca - Yvan Cournoyer (# 12) and Jocelyn Guevremont (# 22)

photo+3+(2).JPG

1974-76 ca - Frank Mahovlich (# 27) in a Toronto Toros uniform jumping over the boards. Richard Farda (# 8) on the left.

cut.jpg

1975/76 - California Golden Seals. Gilles Meloche (# 27) and Len Frig (# 6)

GettyImages-78935455.0.0.jpg

1975/76 - Mike Marson (# 16) and Brad Park (# 22). Mike Marson was the second African-American to ever play in the NHL and later became a 5th degree shotokan black belt.

1lafleur.jpg

1970s - A classic Denis Potvin hipcheck on Guy Lafleur. A lost art in todays hockey

3425da7f3fa3af83d7dccd157b176717.jpg

1970s - The flying Frenchman, the great Gilbert Perreault

cut.jpg

1970s - Brad Park chasing the puck. Six time runner up in Norris Trophy voting

cropped_81054433.jpg

1977-79 ca - Phil Esposito (# 77) and John "Wire" Wensink (# 18). Esposito when being told that he had been traded from the Bruins: "Please don't say it's New York, please, because if you do I am going to jump out the window!"

cropped_145018527.jpg

1983 - Who remember the Cooperalls?. Ron Francis (# 10) and Richard Sevigny (# 33)

Clint%20Malarchuk.jpg

March 22, 1989 - Clint Malarchuk in one of the scariest on-ice incidents in NHL-history. The injury required 300 stitches. I've seen numerous photos of it before, but I can not recall having seen this one

72502742-58b89adb5f9b58af5c318487.jpg

December 8, 1991 - 185 penalty minutes handed out. This brawl started as a retaliation for Jamie Macoun breaking Pat Lafontaine's jaw with a slash in a previous incident

cut.jpg

1992/93 – Corey Hirsch and Mario Lemieux

Featured-Image-1-pic-4.jpg

February 17, 1999 - Rob Ray and Tie Domi duking it out. I believe it was in 1996/97 that the so called “Rob Ray Rule” came into effect (Rule #56: Fisticuffs), penalizing a player that loses his jersey and/or shoulder pads during a fight

Anaheim+Ducks+v+San+Jose+Sharks+53hDGwirWcDx.jpg

November 9, 2010 - Joe Pavelski giving Jonas Hiller a snow shower

file1.jpg

May 13, 2011 - Mikael Granlund lacrosse goal (I've seen it before, but from different angles)

02455132.jpeg

May 13, 2011 - Mikael Granlund lacrosse goal a moment later

howe_obit_bench.jpg

2012 – Gordie Howe, the man, the myth, the legend

Pula-Arena-hockey-rink.jpg

September 13, 2012 – Awesome hockey venue. Pula hockey arena in Croatia before an outdoor game. The Arena is the only remaining Roman amphitheatre to have four side towers and with all three Roman architectural orders entirely preserved. It was constructed in 27 BC – 68 AD

J0a3zgV.jpg

September 14, 2012 - Game day at the Pula Arena

31.jpg

December 29, 2013 – Brendan Gallagher (# 11), Andrei Markov (# 79) airborn, Brandon Prust (# 8) and Shawn Matthias (# 18)

u4UcAwA.jpg

2010s - Alexander Ovechkin, another airborn Russian

lumbus-sl-tri.jpg

April 8, 2014 - Ryan Johansen having just scored in OT. From left, Ryan Johansen , James Wisniewski and Boone Jenner celebrate

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^^ Woo! Awesome. Outdone yourself RGO. Brilliant (and rare) collection of shots. :clap:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Captain Ted Kennedy and other old time hockey players didn't go on IR.

teeder.jpg

Teeder sucked it up and went back onto the ice. For millions? No, for personal ethic and maybe a bit of public glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad