Grant McCagg's Draft Review

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Recrutes is done after this year so nobody will have to complain about it any longer, honestly Brian Wilde annoys me more than McCagg. Not because he's a worse person, he's clearly nicer and more friendly, but he is the true Habs apologist. He acts like he's critical but always caves to McCagg in the end. Grant is more of a troll trying to get clicks, Wilde seems like he's always trying to find a smart way to make the Habs look better so that LeBrun or one of his friends can get him a job with The Athletic.

FWIW, McCagg does have insider sources with the Habs (sometimes), so he is usually worth a follow around draft time. He was the first guy to call Kotkaniemi for the Habs (months in advance), so it makes sense why he's gloating about their draft class.

I'll find the link, but in 2017 he guessed all but one of our picks correctly I believe, even hitting on more obscure prospects like Walford and Primeau in the later rounds. It was quite impressive, almost like Timmins gave him his list...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Anyway, I admire these guys who have a hobby that they are passionate about and then actually make the effort to take that to the next level as a business enterprise. There are others around here who did that too of course, getting into "the business", making their passion into a product that they can offer to the prospects community. Kudos to them all, and thanks for the efforts!

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Anyway, I admire these guys who have a hobby that they are passionate about and then actually make the effort to take that to the next level as a business enterprise. There are others around here who did that too of course, getting into "the business", making their passion into a product that they can offer to the prospects community. Kudos to them all, and thanks for the efforts!

He kind of shoots himself in the foot with his blatantly-biased takes, though. He's a laughing stock. Zero objectivity.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Maybe but drafting a defenseman that plays 400 games before 30 y/o in a third round is pretty good IMO

Of course it is - but that is not related at all related to the initial claim I was responding to.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I have zero respect for Grant because of the hissy fits he's thrown on HFHabs, some out to lunch rankings and obsessions, and (more recently) Twitter, but the Habs did have a really good draft.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I have zero respect for Grant because of the hissy fits he's thrown on HFHabs, some out to lunch rankings and obsessions, and (more recently) Twitter, but the Habs did have a really good draft.

He threw a hissy fit at me after I stopped posting video to his site and left, saying I stabbed him in the back and stuff. Dude is weird. I was doing it for free.

Reactions: NobleSix

F127

Feb 10, 2007
I have no problem with Montreal’s draft being ranked high if its being done under fair assessment. Grant’s rankings are fed to him mainly by Montreal scouts so the majority of the guys they are high on get drafted earlier than most teams would take these guys. Check out Grant’s take on Montreal’s draft last year, they knocked it out of the park and probably the year before.
He also spent a year+ hyping Tavares to the Habs so he could increase hits to his website and sell product.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Habs had a great draft outside of Kotkaniemi at 3.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
When was the last time a team drafted 4-5 really good NHLers in a single draft? Ever?

Lots of teams have had drafts where they found three, but four is very rare. So far only found:

Habs in 84: Svoboda, Corson, Richer, Roy
Habs in 87: Cassels, Leclair, Desjardins, Schneider
Red Wings in 89: Sillinger, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Drake, Konstantinov

"Really Good" is debatable but I always thought the Leafs 2006 draft was good: Tlusty, Kulemin, Reimer, Stalberg, and Komarov. Five NHLers to have played 300 games in a single draft and none of them were inflated goons.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Every single team in the NHL thinks it made the best possible picks at their selections a month after the draft... People only say a given team had a great draft based on the consensus rankings and notable fallers according to those lists.

Last time we had a great draft was 2012. See how that turned out.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I remember when the Habs had an A+ draft in 2012

That turned out well.
It was a weak draft, but yah habs suck at drafting and developing (see galchenyuk). Apologists like McCagg think the habs are amazing at the draft. hah. joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad