Grant McCagg's Draft Review

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Isn't this the guy who went all out when someone had Buchnevich ranked relatively high and who had Mike McLeod like 4th overall?

Seems like his aim is to hype a large fan base's draft up so that their fans would buy his stuff.

Last edited:

Madic

May 21, 2008
Whats the issue? The habs had a great draft.
How, conceptually, do you have a "great draft" already? It's a crapshoot by nature, hard to predict even by actual paid scouts, and impossible to examine this laughably early. If this seems like a giant sneer, it really is. Some of you people here need to give your head a shake, too funny.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Two things.

Firstly, I guess you can't burn a source. Not like he's going to shit on one of his few sources in the league in Trevor Timmins. But, what can you expect for a guy who thinks Mark Bergevin is a better GM than Dave Poile.

Secondly, is there a dumber business model for a prospect service to constantly insult one of the biggest potential client basis you have (The Leafs fanbase). I mean, I get being a Habs fan and disliking the Leafs, but its pretty stupid to continually bash Leafs fans when they might be the most deep pocketed fan-base who might buy your product.

On a related note. Grading a draft as Craig Button said, is one of the most self-serving endeavors you can do. You can pretty much grade anyones draft against a published scouting service just by looking at who they drafted and at what spots (relative to the draft guides rankings).

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably the biggest Timmins/Habs apologist out there, and that's saying something.

I have no problem with his open hatred of the Leafs, perhaps its a bit unprofessional but that doesn't irk me. The issue (if we're discussing his service) is the circle jerk he has with the Habs and their scouting department, it's ridiculous to read.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Ack, this font. It burns.

DhnZMXvU8AUrmXs.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Probably the biggest Timmins/Habs apologist out there, and that's saying something.

I have no problem with his open hatred of the Leafs, perhaps its a bit unprofessional but that doesn't irk me. The issue (if we're discussing his service) is the circle jerk he has with the Habs and their scouting department, it's ridiculous to read.
It doesn't really irk me, it is just insanely stupid. I wouldn't tell a potential customer that I hate them.

Reactions: firstemperor

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Isn't this the guy who went all out when someone had Buchnevich ranked relatively high and who had Mike McLeod like 4th overall?

Seems like his aim is to hype a large fan base's draft up so that their fans would buy his stuff.

He actually was on our boards and insulted us all. Then he rage quit the entire forum when we didn't pick Kotkaniemi in our mock draft.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a definite Habs shill. But he is worth following for Habs fans around draft time because he knows Timmins. He can sometimes call the picks before they happen or at least say who it won't be. Except the year he fell in love with Michael McLeod.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How, conceptually, do you have a "great draft" already? It's a crapshoot by nature, hard to predict even by actual paid scouts, and impossible to examine this laughably early. If this seems like a giant sneer, it really is. Some of you people here need to give your head a shake, too funny.

It looks like a great draft by the habs because of the players they took and where they were rank in scouts list (such as Bob Mckenzie's one).

Obviously the opinion could change in 1 year, but as of now it looks great.

The concept is not hard to grasp...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It looks like a great draft by the habs because of the players they took and where they were rank in scouts list (such as Bob Mckenzie's one).

Obviously the opinion could change in 1 year, but as of now it looks great.

Not a hard concept to grasp...
I'd say this is a bit debatable.

Kotkaniemi (-2 to where McKenzie had him, with Zadina and Tkachuk still on the board ahead of him)
Jesse Ylonen (-2 from the spot McKenzie had him, still had McBain, McIsaac, Wilde, McLeod left)
Alexander Romanov (-45 spots, too many to list)
Jacob Olofsson (+16, top guy left on McKenzie's board was McBain)
Cam Hillis (+5, top guy left was Lauko)
Jordan Harris (-5 spots, top guy was still Lauko)
Allan McShane (+28, top guy left was Demin)

That doesn't look like they really did that great if you are comparing it to Bob's board. Now, I don't think Bob's board should be the primary source of judging a draft, but, you guys had the first small reach of the draft (with 1 and 2 being projected), and would never have made any of the picks you did, if Bob's board was the primary source of picking.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He is already a bit of a joke to start with but the real sign that he is a hack is the fact he always pins a tweet for Bobby Mac about his draft guide thing.

It's like he knows that his credibility is already questioned so he needs someone trusted to 'vouch' for him.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Not sure what the point of this thread is. Pretty much everyone knows McCagg is a hack-- what's the point of "dunking" on him?

Reactions: David Suzuki

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I'd say this is a bit debatable.

Kotkaniemi (-2 to where McKenzie had him, with Zadina and Tkachuk still on the board ahead of him)
Jesse Ylonen (-2 from the spot McKenzie had him, still had McBain, McIsaac, Wilde, McLeod left)
Alexander Romanov (-45 spots, too many to list)
Jacob Olofsson (+16, top guy left on McKenzie's board was McBain)
Cam Hillis (+5, top guy left was Lauko)
Jordan Harris (-5 spots, top guy was still Lauko)
Allan McShane (+28, top guy left was Demin)

That doesn't look like they really did that great if you are comparing it to Bob's board. Now, I don't think Bob's board should be the primary source of judging a draft, but, you guys had the first small reach of the draft (with 1 and 2 being projected), and would never have made any of the picks you did, if Bob's board was the primary source of picking.

Fonstad was a very good pick

Reactions: Lays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad