Confirmed with Link: Granlund re-signs [4 yrs/$5 mil AAV]

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Perhaps a bit too much in regards of caphit (0,5-1,). Like that we got him back. Like the term. Like that he bet on himself with a cheap 1 year deal and won.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Screen-Shot-2021-07-28-at-12.13.41-PM.png

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Haha, yesterday I didn't even notice that it has a market value at the bottom, which is hilariously low. In the NHL the standard has been $1M per 10 points (a very basic measure with no other factors considered) and rising, it's probably over $1.2M per 10 points in 2021. Granlund is versatile in that he can play all three forward positions and he can be play on both special teams units. How this guy comes up with his market value being $3.4M for 2021 I just don't know. I can't believe so many people put so much stock into this stuff.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Haha, yesterday I didn't even notice that it has a market value at the bottom, which is hilariously low. In the NHL the standard has been $1M per 10 points (a very basic measure with no other factors considered) and rising, it's probably over $1.2M per 10 points in 2021. Granlund is versatile in that he can play all three forward positions and he can be play on both special teams units. How this guy comes up with his market value being $3.4M for 2021 I just don't know. I can't believe so many people put so much stock into this stuff.
There are people on the trade forum insisting he shouldn't be making more than $2.5M per. :huh:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
That’s one of the most horrendous charts i have seen. They keep getting worse. This is coming from someone who didn’t want to see granlund back.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That’s one of the most horrendous charts i have seen. They keep getting worse. This is coming from someone who didn’t want to see granlund back.
And the scary thing is... there are "hockey fans" out there who live and die by these charts, and feel like once they've seen the chart, they know everything there is to know about the player. Don't even have to watch them play. :eek:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
And the scary thing is... there are "hockey fans" out there who live and die by these charts, and feel like once they've seen the chart, they know everything there is to know about the player. Don't even have to watch them play. :eek:

Then they'll tell you that it's better than watching because fans don't know enough to evaluate players, and because the numbers are hard data while the eye-test is too biased.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The irony is that even the stats guys are conflicting on Granlund. EvolveHockey had his contract projection basically dead on based on points and market.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well the killer on a lot of these fancy stats is really error bars... or lack thereof. Sure, it's nice to try to quantify some metrics to evaluate player performance. Great. Have at it. It's not an unworthy thing to attempt.

Just.. you have to know where your data is coming from, what the dependencies are, and then what uncertainty that places on the relative merit of your metric. And because hockey is a team sport with such complex dependencies, it's really difficult to make metrics compare meaningfully across all the variables. Maybe your measurement error isn't actually all that large, but all the dependencies are probably so complex that your overall uncertainty is still so enormous as to render your metric meaningless. This isn't explicitly acknowledged anywhere on these charts and plots. Instead they give you the number, no context, no estimate of uncertainty. And people take that number as gospel.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So it's some dudes made up number essentially where he tries to make some broad deduction about something that has way too many factors in it to actually mean anything.

Pretty much although to be fair to Dom he is the best at making these highly flawed models at least at the team level and of those that are publicly available. The problem to me is that even if it is a pretty decent model at the team level because the error in any individual player averages out its basically useless on the individual player level because that error is so large. I do like his playoff prediction stuff because it is far better than MoneyPuck at least, but other than that I've never been all that swayed by anything he does.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Darrin and Willy's back & forth about how Granlund isn't worth it for us to be a bubble team convinced me ...only Poile knows Poile. Granlund is the most productive player in Hynes system because he embraces it.
He is now also replacing Jarny, with more offense and grit. Preliminary plans are Glass on his line with transition as the season goes and he shows he can C better than Granlund.
Granny back on the wing scoring like the old Granny.
Locker room and on ice he shows the kids how to be pros. If they work as hard as he does with their superior talent we'll have a winner.
Hynes is a hybrid of Laviolette and Trotz. He's correcting the team mentality of stars and supporting cast into a team again while giving stars what they earn same as everyone else.
Granlund is Poiles proof of commitment to Hynes

Reactions: PredsV82

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don’t really get the granlund signing. Signing him makes us better but not Stanley cup contender so what’s the point. Play our younger guys get a high draft pick 1-5 hopefully somehow win the draft lottery for the first time ever. Get a generational talent in wright. Our young guys got some valuable playing time and the retool begins. Sign forsberg and ekholm if they want to stay or dump them if they haven’t signed by the deadline which both of them will bring back a pretty good prospect and a 1st which goes along with the rebuild. I wanna win a cup one day and this team we have right now doesn’t get it done unless somehow saros goes on an unbelievable tear like rinne did in 2017

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don’t really get the granlund signing. Signing him makes us better but not Stanley cup contender so what’s the point. Play our younger guys get a high draft pick 1-5 hopefully somehow win the draft lottery for the first time ever. Get a generational talent in wright. Our young guys got some valuable playing time and the retool begins. Sign forsberg and ekholm if they want to stay or dump them if they haven’t signed by the deadline which both of them will bring back a pretty good prospect and a 1st which goes along with the rebuild. I wanna win a cup one day and this team we have right now doesn’t get it done unless somehow saros goes on an unbelievable tear like rinne did in 2017
The ole "let's tank for one year and win the cup the next because player X is sooooooo great" concept. Doesn't really work like that but thanks for playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad