Confirmed with Link: Granlund re-signs [4 yrs/$5 mil AAV]

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fair deal. I wouldn't call it "good".

The term and $ are acceptable, if just a wee bit more than ideal, but I guess the main thing that worries me is just how much ice Granlund absorbs under Hynes, and what kind of blockage that might represent to getting any of our other players going or giving opportunity to youngsters. That SHOULD be a manageable concern. But they sure overplayed Granlund last year, and I would not like to see that continue.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
not a fan. this takes up a slot in our top 6 for the next 4 years. he was decent last year but he performed at poor clip considering ice time. expectations we had for him taking into account considering we traded fiala for him.

that said.. i don’t hate it. it shouldn’t be an awful contract at any point with that salary. Duchene, johansen, kunin, Forsberg (if we can resign), granlund now seem to be the bread and butter of our top 6 for the foreseeable future.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
So much for not being close lol.

about 1 million too high for that term but not horrible.
Poile got a player Preds wanted. Good player. Did his play on his one year show me deal warrant this contract? Maybe but it’s a little high and lengthy but fairly normal these days. Expectations by Preds is probably high.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
not a fan. this takes up a slot in our top 6 for the next 4 years. he was decent last year but he performed at poor clip considering ice time. expectations we had for him taking into account considering we traded fiala for him.

that said.. i don’t hate it. it shouldn’t be an awful contract at any point with that salary. Duchene, johansen, kunin, Forsberg (if we can resign), granlund now seem to be the bread and butter of our top 6 for the foreseeable future.
Unless they fall for the sunk cost fallacy, there's no reason he should be a lock for top6 if say Glass outperforms him at center and Tomasino at wing any time in the next 4 years.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unless they fall for the sunk cost fallacy, there's no reason he should be a lock for top6 if say Glass outperforms him at center and Tomasino at wing any time in the next 4 years.
Yeah, and he'd be overpaid, but would be effective playing in a 3rd line role. Part of the reason I like both Granlund and Haula is they are both pretty versatile players (plus PK, plus PP).

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I have no issues with this deal. I had preference for it to be a shorter term, but his versatility will make it difficult for this to turn into any type of a problem. I think the only possible problem would be if he takes a center spot away from Glass or Tomasino, but I could also see a real beneficial scenario where he lines with those guys to show them how it's done.

Reactions: Gh24 and PredsV82

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The $$ don't bother me, but the term makes me a little nervous. I wouldn't be shocked at a buyout down the road.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Hynes loves granlund. I think he’s more likely to be in top 6 than not if Hynes is at the helm.

Reactions: Gh24

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Thinking on this again.. maybe my dislike for this deal is misguided. If we weren’t using 2 spots on johansen and Duchene, I may be more positive. I think my dislike is for what our top 6 seems like it will be for the next 1-2 years.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My biggest issues are contract length and how much ice time Hynes gives him and how little he produces for the amount of icetime he's given. The term is 1-2 years longer than I'd like.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Thinking on this again.. maybe my dislike for this deal is misguided. If we weren’t using 2 spots on johansen and Duchene, I may be more positive. I think my dislike is for what our top 6 seems like it will be for the next 1-2 years.
A silver lining, maybe, is that Hynes deployed units last season by their effectiveness, not by the status of the player or line (reference the complaining about our "best" players with reduced icetime). Whether Granlund is the second line center or 4th line winger, I don't think it's going to block younger players from getting the time if their play is effective.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we bring Haula back, one of Duchene/Joey needs to be gone.
I doubt they can be "gone"d. But maybe it means we bump Duchene back down to the Cousins-Haula line, and Grimaldi is gone'd. He's a lot easier to make disappear. (Heck you can just put him in your pocket and then lose him in the washing machine... :oops:)

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad