Confirmed with Link: Granlund re-signs [4 yrs/$5 mil AAV]

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The ole "let's tank for one year and win the cup the next because player X is sooooooo great" concept. Doesn't really work like that but thanks for playing.
Who said it was gonna take a year? See that’s the problem with some of you homer pred fans. You don’t like what some other opinions are and you flip their words. Are we a cup contender with granlund? If you answer yes then I get what kind of person you are. If you said no then that goes to my last post why sign him. Leadership? Maybe but what’s the point. Instead of commenting back on why you think it was a good idea you come back with some smart ass comment. If it wasn’t for rinne we would still be the team that couldn’t get out of the 2nd round. And if it wasn’t for saros putting a Vezina worthy 2nd half then we would of had a top 5 pick this year. Say that ain’t true. The tear down has already started and getting some of our young prospects the opportunity is good but there will be growing pains and it won’t happen over night. Or a year like you thought I meant apparently. If forsberg or ekholm don’t want to be part of this rebuild by not signing before the deadline then we can get some good picks and prospects for them helping the rebuild

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Who said it was gonna take a year? See that’s the problem with some of you homer pred fans. You don’t like what some other opinions are and you flip their words. Are we a cup contender with granlund? If you answer yes then I get what kind of person you are. If you said no then that goes to my last post why sign him. Leadership? Maybe but what’s the point. Instead of commenting back on why you think it was a good idea you come back with some smart ass comment. If it wasn’t for rinne we would still be the team that couldn’t get out of the 2nd round. And if it wasn’t for saros putting a Vezina worthy 2nd half then we would of had a top 5 pick this year. Say that ain’t true. The tear down has already started and getting some of our young prospects the opportunity is good but there will be growing pains and it won’t happen over night. Or a year like you thought I meant apparently. If forsberg or ekholm don’t want to be part of this rebuild by not signing before the deadline then we can get some good picks and prospects for them helping the rebuild
The point is that it is clear that the Preds organization, even when rebuilding, is determined to build a roster that can compete for a playoff spot. Whether that's due to revenue concerns, commitment to sportsmanship, whatever...as trigg points out, Poile didn't even tank following the firesale, nor following Suter's departure and Weber's offer sheet (which would have set-us up GREAT for a teardown). As much as some of you want to see it, we are not going to rip the roster down to the studs and collect top 5 picks for several years. So in that context, Granlund is a skilled, hard-working, high character player that can play in all situations. He can play a top 6 role if the youngsters struggle (and people should assume that not all of Tomasino, Tolvanen, Glass are going to perform well) or slide down into a 3rd line and PP/PK role should they all do well. Even when rebuilding/retooling you need reliable vets throughout the lineup to maintain a certain level of competitiveness (losing too badly too often is terrible for player development), and also to mentor/model for the developing players. Granlund checks off all those boxes.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
The point is that it is clear that the Preds organization, even when rebuilding, is determined to build a roster that can compete for a playoff spot. Whether that's due to revenue concerns, commitment to sportsmanship, whatever...as trigg points out, Poile didn't even tank following the firesale, nor following Suter's departure and Weber's offer sheet (which would have set-us up GREAT for a teardown). As much as some of you want to see it, we are not going to rip the roster down to the studs and collect top 5 picks for several years. So in that context, Granlund is a skilled, hard-working, high character player that can play in all situations. He can play a top 6 role if the youngsters struggle (and people should assume that not all of Tomasino, Tolvanen, Glass are going to perform well) or slide down into a 3rd line and PP/PK role should they all do well. Even when rebuilding/retooling you need reliable vets throughout the lineup to maintain a certain level of competitiveness (losing too badly too often is terrible for player development), and also to mentor/model for the developing players. Granlund checks off all those boxes.

Man, get out of here with a sound, logical, thought out post

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don’t really get the granlund signing. Signing him makes us better but not Stanley cup contender so what’s the point. Play our younger guys get a high draft pick 1-5 hopefully somehow win the draft lottery for the first time ever. Get a generational talent in wright. Our young guys got some valuable playing time and the retool begins. Sign forsberg and ekholm if they want to stay or dump them if they haven’t signed by the deadline which both of them will bring back a pretty good prospect and a 1st which goes along with the rebuild. I wanna win a cup one day and this team we have right now doesn’t get it done unless somehow saros goes on an unbelievable tear like rinne did in 2017
It's been talked about ad nauseum around here why "tanking for picks" isn't a viable option for this franchise much less an actually working option for most of the teams that have tried. But please enlighten us with your Twitter GM skills.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Granlund is a top 6 forward and insurance in case Glass and Tomasino aren't ready yet.
Not to mention it still requires bodies on the ice when you have injuries. We no longer have Jarnkrok to fall back on. Haula, Ellis, Arvy and a couple of others are gone from last season. There is more than enough room for youngsters to get a chance.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There are some teams who embrace the tank mode approach... Buffalo, Arizona are good ones to follow right about now if that's your thing. :dunno:

There's another angle of this too. Look at a team like Toronto*. Why would we want to go through all of those terrible years if all it does is get you to the playoffs and bounced in the first round? We can do that just fine without sucking for a decade+. If the cards fall a certain way and we end up with a good pick one year that's fine. But I don't want a roster that's intentionally designed for it.

*Edmonton is another good example.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Not to mention it still requires bodies on the ice when you have injuries. We no longer have Jarnkrok to fall back on. Haula, Ellis, Arvy and a couple of others are gone from last season. There is more than enough room for youngsters to get a chance.
If your youngsters don’t get a chance then all you got are oldsters. And that’s not been working all that well. Somebody had to go to get some space. I really liked Arvy, Ellis, Jarnkrok and Haula but they were chosen to go. We’ll see what happens now that there is space.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It's been talked about ad nauseum around here why "tanking for picks" isn't a viable option for this franchise much less an actually working option for most of the teams that have tried. But please enlighten us with your Twitter GM skills.
We were sitting in 4th-6th pick range before saros started playing out of his mind and a vezina type 2nd half so “tanking” was already happening. I wasn’t saying suck on purpose but the way we were playing we were a lottery team and if it wasn’t for saros we would of remained a lottery team last year. Speaking of goalies if it wasn’t for rinne and his amazing playoffs we would still be the team that couldnt get out of the second round. I know poile isn’t gonna tank per se because he’s old but if saros has an average season then we will end up with a top 5 pick. We don’t have the firepower like some teams to make it to playoffs without stellar goalie play. Twitter gm you’re funny I’m just using my 35 plus years I been watching hockey and realize that if we don’t get some better forward play we will be a bubble team unless of course we get some awesome goalie play. Maybe it’s Tomasino, tolvanen, and glass are those forwards that give that but we don’t know and I will gladly put my foot in mouth if they are

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We were sitting in 4th-6th pick range before saros started playing out of his mind and a vezina type 2nd half so “tanking” was already happening. I wasn’t saying suck on purpose but the way we were playing we were a lottery team and if it wasn’t for saros we would of remained a lottery team last year. Speaking of goalies if it wasn’t for rinne and his amazing playoffs we would still be the team that couldnt get out of the second round. I know poile isn’t gonna tank per se because he’s old but if saros has an average season then we will end up with a top 5 pick. We don’t have the firepower like some teams to make it to playoffs without stellar goalie play. Twitter gm you’re funny I’m just using my 35 plus years I been watching hockey and realize that if we don’t get some better forward play we will be a bubble team unless of course we get some awesome goalie play. Maybe it’s Tomasino, tolvanen, and glass are those forwards that give that but we don’t know and I will gladly put my foot in mouth if they are
It's very popular to point out that Saros had an unsustainable run of play last season and credit that for our turnaround. But this ignores that Saros was not just average, but quite poor during the first half of the season, and our defense was also a complete tire fire. His bump in play coincided with a greater "buy in" of the team system that saw a significant tightening up of our play on the defensive end. While it's probably true that an "average" season from him probably has us outside of the playoff picture this season, barring some unexpected seasons from some of our skaters, we also are not likely to be "bottom 5" bad.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nashville isnt a market that's gonna tolerate multiple really bad seasons in row and be able to maintain season ticket sales. And as others have pointed out, for every Pittsburgh or Chicago success story there are the Coyotes, Sabres, Blue Jackets(sorryViqsi) and the ultimate tank losers, the Leafs and the Oilers.

Reactions: hockey diva

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Nashville isnt a market that's gonna tolerate multiple really bad seasons in row and be able to maintain season ticket sales. And as others have pointed out, for every Pittsburgh or Chicago success story there are the Coyotes, Sabres, Blue Jackets(sorryViqsi) and the ultimate tank losers, the Leafs and the Oilers.
Redwings can be added to the list. They are hoping for for some magic with Yzerman but they've been bad for a while now.

Reactions: PredsV82

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Saros and most of the team were performing at the bottom of expectations at the start of the year. In the second half, new faces / new players and some of our rocks stepped up and played well with Saros exceeding expectations.

This team still has a lot of talent on it. It can compete.

Granlund is a great player and teammate to have. I'm glad he is here.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess the other thing I don't really understand... what's so bad about being a "bubble team"? :dunno:

We were a bubble team when we went to the Stanley Cup finals. That was fun. We were a bubble team last year. Well overall anyway --- they pushed hard to become one, and ended up giving us a fun season despite the doom and gloom of the start.

I would rather be a "bubble team" than a "rebuilding team that is consciously choosing to miss the playoffs for X years" (even if you don't call the latter "tanking"). You get a fun regular season where every game matters. It's like an 82-game playoffs. I think in the President's Trophy year it was almost boring at times... granted the team was finding ways to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and giving us a fair bit of ammunition to nitpick some uneven play even while coasting at the top of the standings. But in a lot of ways that's not as fun as fighting tooth and nail for 82 games to try to get the last spot. :dunno:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
All bubble teams aren’t created equally. I’d definitely take that Preds SCF bubble team over the one we just saw out of Montreal. The following season for the Preds basically proved what a lot of us suspected: they really underachieved during the regular season of that SCF season.

Reactions: PredsV82

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
Granlund was one of our best and most versatile forwards we had this past season. It was his contract year and time will tell if the $20 million anchors him down again.

I can never root for my team to tank for 1-4 years just to get a chance of MAYBE landing a McDavid or Mackinnon. It would be painful to watch (as the first half of last season was) and take the fun out of hockey for me. And there is no guarantee tanking equals cups.

for every Chicago, there is a Buffalo or Edmonton. No thank you.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Granlund was one of our best and most versatile forwards we had this past season. It was his contract year and time will tell if the $20 million anchors him down again.

I can never root for my team to tank for 1-4 years just to get a chance of MAYBE landing a McDavid or Mackinnon. It would be painful to watch (as the first half of last season was) and take the fun out of hockey for me. And there is no guarantee tanking equals cups.

for every Chicago, there is a Buffalo or Edmonton. No thank you.
Chicago was bad for decades before they finally turned it around with Kane and Towes.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
He's a top 6 forward for us. I don't think he's a top 6 forward on a contending team.
That's kind of the beauty of it. The Preds made the playoffs last year with him getting the most forward minutes on the team. If the kids preform well enough to take his place he can slide down the depth chart and still be effective. If they don't then he does what he did last year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

This makes sense to me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It would be ironic if we ended getting more out of Granlund than Minnesota gets from Fiala. If he picks 2-years on his club-elected arbitration, he is UFA at the end of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad