Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can we at least give him a shot before writing him off? I think he will do just fine as a 4th liner for a couple years, working his way up to a 3rd liner capable of `~15 goals, while grinding and annoying the opposition. He's currently better than Drew Miller ever was, and Miller had a solid 7 or 8 years as a Wing.

1. I am not writing him off as an NHL player, but Detroit really does have a log jam at bottom 6 wingers. He should definitely be used as trade bait.

2. Miller's situation more of an indictment of Holland than it is a proof of Bertuzzi's worthiness for the NHL.

3. He's really not a grinder, he's more of a Shaw lite agitator. On a team that is still pretty soft and with no real fighters (the only two big ones are either broken or a net loss no matter the outcome of the fight)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
McIlrath has done a great job since being brought along, I really hope we keep him around.

I do too. He is an UFA. If LV really wants to win now, his talents are pretty good for a 6th D. There are D with more potential but that may take some time. (I know small chance they take him). Can't wait until next weekend

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I do too. He is an UFA. If LV really wants to win now, his talents are pretty good for a 6th D. There are D with more potential but that may take some time. (I know small chance they take him). Can't wait until next weekend

Interesting. I've seen him listed as both UFA and RFA. Most list him as RFA.

Either way, I doubt we even qualify him.
If Ericsson were bought out, the brass might consider qualifying him. But there will be no room for him GR next year. So they would only qualify him with the intention of keeping him up as a 6th/7th man in Detroit.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
1. I am not writing him off as an NHL player, but Detroit really does have a log jam at bottom 6 wingers. He should definitely be used as trade bait.

I mean, not really. Lots of room for Bertuzzi in a checking role.

Which established NHL bottom 6 players will we have left?
1)Helm
2) Sheahan (could get taken by Vegas)
3)Glendening (likely to start year on IR after shoulder surgery)
4) Athanasiou (tweener, better suited for scoring line)
5) Abdelkader (used as a tweener)

So there is only 3-5 bottom 6 forwards for next year, depending on how things shake down maybe less.

Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Zetterberg, Mantha, Larkin are the top 6 as it stands. And if one of them are dealt for defense help... It's likely Abs or Athanasiou would be moved to scoring line.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Interesting. I've seen him listed as both UFA and RFA. Most list him as RFA.

Either way, I doubt we even qualify him.
If Ericsson were bought out, the brass might consider qualifying him. But there will be no room for him GR next year. So they would only qualify him with the intention of keeping him up as a 6th/7th man in Detroit.

From an article by Larry Brooks on July 15, 2016

"It is now or never for the Rangers and Dylan McIlrath.

If the 24-year-old under-used defenseman, who Friday signed a one-year deal worth $800,000 in advance of a scheduled July 21 arbitration hearing, does not play in at least 42 games this season, he will become a Group 6 unrestricted free agent next July 1."

So I guess he's Restricted until 07/01/2017

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
From an article by Larry Brooks on July 15, 2016

"It is now or never for the Rangers and Dylan McIlrath.

If the 24-year-old under-used defenseman, who Friday signed a one-year deal worth $800,000 in advance of a scheduled July 21 arbitration hearing, does not play in at least 42 games this season, he will become a Group 6 unrestricted free agent next July 1."

So I guess he's Restricted until 07/01/2017
Alright. He should know best. Capfriendly says the same.

I saw him listed as RFA in TSN 'build your expansion team' game.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The Griffins usually keep 8 D men, sometimes with 1 of them rotating to Toledo & back.

On the playoff roster they have:

Joe Hicketts
Nathan Paetsch
Robbie Russo
Filip Hronek
Brian Lashoff
Dan Renouf
Conor Allen
Dylan McIlrath

Also Vili Saarijärvi, Libor Sulak, & Dennis Cholowski

Chow to the WHL & Allen is a GRG signee.

Considering how Big Rig & Kronners get hurt, 2-3 of these guys will get call ups. I think we have room for the "Undertaker" but will we sign him?

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
5-0 Crunch after 1. :help:
Well at least they'll have two chances to win it at home.
I hate Jared Coreau, I'm positive that regular season game against the Wild was the last game of his NHL career.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I hate Jared Coreau, I'm positive that regular season game against the Wild was the last game of his NHL career.

I don't like Coreau that much either but which one of those goals is on him? There are other more importnant portions of the game that need to be addressed before that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yeah here's hoping they win it in GR. Didn't they do that back in 13 or whatever year that was. And no way. He's getting a handful more games but it's clear he will never be a starter at this point

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Coreau has played all 17 PO games including starting 5 in the past 9 days. #1 star in a few, & kept GRG in all of the OT wins. He'll be in the NHL again

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
I don't like Coreau that much either but which one of those goals is on him? There are other more importnant portions of the game that need to be addressed before that.

Well I missed the first goal but the Brodeur goal for sure. At 6'6 he should stop more high shots, he's got lightning quick pads along the ice but gets beat high too often. Not going to lie, that 2 OT game he was great in both overtimes and won that game for the Griffs.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I mean, not really. Lots of room for Bertuzzi in a checking role.

Which established NHL bottom 6 players will we have left?
1)Helm
2) Sheahan (could get taken by Vegas)
3)Glendening (likely to start year on IR after shoulder surgery)
4) Athanasiou (tweener, better suited for scoring line)
5) Abdelkader (used as a tweener)

So there is only 3-5 bottom 6 forwards for next year, depending on how things shake down maybe less.

Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Zetterberg, Mantha, Larkin are the top 6 as it stands. And if one of them are dealt for defense help... It's likely Abs or Athanasiou would be moved to scoring line.

It's a fair point about the expansion draft, but you've forgotten Nosek who I believe is out of options and will probably be given a chance. Frk as well.

Even though I think Lil Bert is a better choice than them both longer term, he's almost certain to start in GR

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Coreau has played all 17 PO games including starting 5 in the past 9 days. #1 star in a few, & kept GRG in all of the OT wins. He'll be in the NHL again

I believe he will be an NHLer as well. The right goalie coach will get hold of him and he will play to his size.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
It's a fair point about the expansion draft, but you've forgotten Nosek who I believe is out of options and will probably be given a chance. Frk as well.

Even though I think Lil Bert is a better choice than them both longer term, he's almost certain to start in GR

Nope I remember, but I was referring to established NHL players.
Nosek isn't that and Bert could beat him out.
I've moved on from Frk, guy isn't a checking line player at any level and obviously not NHL top 6.

Either way, there could be 3 or 4 bottom 6 spots open for newcomers to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad