Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Went to the game last night in Milwaukee. Grifs win 3-0, 2 goals for Svech.
Svech has a great shot. Also liked Russo's game

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
The pp without Sproul looks better than it ever has.

"Maybe demote blash and promote Todd?"

That will not change a thing.

Oct 18, 2006
Marty Frk with the PP bomb last night to win it in OT.

He has 3 multi point games from his last 5. Recorded a massive 31 SOG in that time too.

Oct 18, 2006
Goal and assist again for Frk tonight. He's on a tear. 8 points last 5 games.

Svech with G+A too, consecutive multi point games.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
31 points in 30 games for Tomas Nosek, highest PPG on the team. I haven't been able to watch the Griffins this season, but in the past his game always reminded me of Joakim Andersson. I suppose that's a bit of a slight, but Andersson did play over 200 NHL games.

Nosek is 24 (and will turn 25 before the start of next season), so what you see is what you get with him at this point; there probably isn't much development left.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I've said it before, I am a big Todd Nelson fan. What he's been able to do in Grand Rapids with every guy who is at least capable of being a warm body in the NHL being up in Detroit is amazing. Really interesting that he goes with 5 forwards on the power play, it's obviously highly successful. I hope he gets a shot at coaching in the NHL real soon, odds are good it will be sooner than later with his AHL track record.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
31 points in 30 games for Tomas Nosek, highest PPG on the team. I haven't been able to watch the Griffins this season, but in the past his game always reminded me of Joakim Andersson. I suppose that's a bit of a slight, but Andersson did play over 200 NHL games.

Nosek is 24 (and will turn 25 before the start of next season), so what you see is what you get with him at this point; there probably isn't much development left.

Been following him, and actually liked his stint last season. Wish he were a better skater, but his hands are better than Andy's. I think he makes the team in a Miller/Ott role next year. He's worth taking a look at.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
With Miller on the team do they send anyone to Toledo.

Miller won't be going down yet. Sounds like Miller will stick with the Wings until Larkin or Vanek are back.

That will probably give them at least a week to decide how to make room for Miller, if they even have to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
miller won't be going down yet. Sounds like miller will stick with the wings until larkin or vanek are back.

That will probably give them at least a week to decide how to make room for miller, if they even have to.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

He didn't even last the day.

Already called back up. It will be interesting to see what happens when one of Larkin or Vanek come back. Will he be forced to report? or will they let him sit in the pressbox as a Griffin on paper but still available should they need him?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Drew Miller will officially report to the Griffins on Monday. Griffins beat the Wolves in Chicago last night 5-2. Lorito scored 2 goals, Bertuzzi got the game winner. Frk & Nosek 2 assists each. PP was 1-2.

Howard will start for the Griffins tonight vs Milwaukee. He and the Wings will decided if Howard will need a 2nd game in Grand Rapids (next Wed here vs Manitoba) by Sunday (if not after tonight's game).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Doesn't look like a great comeback for Howard, Griffs down 3-1 in the 2nd.

Svech with an assist, 7 game point streak going.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Milwaukee 5 - Griffins 4.

Brutal start for Jimmy Howard as the first 2 shots went in (1st up in the air and landed behind him, 2nd on PP as Captain Turnover (Paetsch) skate blocked the cross pass but went in behind Howard. Killer 3rd goal with 1.8 left in period off the face off and Admiral guy beat Howard in front of him.

Howard settled in the 2nd and stopped a 2 on 1 just before the Griffins went down the ice and scored.

Third period Admirals struck at 1:09 mark, then Griffins scored shortly after that, then Admirals scored about 2 minutes later. Tangradi's PP goal with under 9 minutes to go cut it to 5-4 but the Griffins could not tie the game. Had PP in last minute, but lost the draw and never could get set up at the end. Strange game. Griffins goals by Criscuolo, Lashoff, Campbell, & Tangradi (PP). Bertuzzi had 2 assists. PP was 1/5 tonight.

Howard said that the knee is fine and he felt great. Focus on puck was main issue due to lack of playing and he is not in game shape. Wings brass will officially announce their plans with him, but it is a 95% chance that Howard will start again in Grand Rapids on Wednesday vs Manitoba. Coach Nelson also stated that Howard was hinting to him that he will be playing in Grand Rapids and practicing with the team this week. Sold out crowd.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I see that Svechnikov has 40 PIMs, which is close to the team lead. I don't watch the Griffins much but I do keep track of stats and scores. Does he take dumb penalties, or simply plays a gritty game which results in time in the box?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I see that Svechnikov has 40 PIMs, which is close to the team lead. I don't watch the Griffins much but I do keep track of stats and scores. Does he take dumb penalties, or simply plays a gritty game which results in time in the box?

Svech at the beginning of the season took a lot of what you call lazy & dumb penalties and he was our leader in PIM for the first month of the season. I would say the last 15 games, he has cut those penalties to just about none. He is slowly improving his overall play and he is starting to become a strong 2nd line player on our team. His point totals are also slowly climbing up as well. He is gaining a lot more confidence in these past 15 games. Hope he keeps it up for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Svech at the beginning of the season took a lot of what you call lazy & dumb penalties and he was our leader in PIM for the first month of the season. I would say the last 15 games, he has cut those penalties to just about none. He is slowly improving his overall play and he is starting to become a strong 2nd line player on our team. His point totals are also slowly climbing up as well. He is gaining a lot more confidence in these past 15 games. Hope he keeps it up for us.

I agree that a lot of them were not great penalties. However, to whether or not he does have a greasy element, he absolutely does. Svech has a mean streak and high compete level in my opinion. That it isn't talked about more for me is a Russian factor. The guy and his game is made for NA ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad