Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Edvinsson is getting called out here for a lot of boneheaded plays. I haven’t watched the griffs much this year but I have to admit that worries me.
Haven't watched tonight, says he is a -4. No idea if that's a unfortunate or he stunk -4.

Edit: -5 empty net, the point streak is dead.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Is Ed gonna be this generations, Willie Huber, for those old enough to remember that name?
I don't think so, I remember Willie well enough (we were born the same year), similar size but I think Ed has way more defensive tools at his disposal.

Coaching and analysis is different these days and items worked on.

Everyone can have an off night, let's not get over excited, unless it leads to off weeks or seasons.

Better to have them now versus the playoffs for sure.

Reactions: David D

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Is Ed gonna be this generations, Willie Huber, for those old enough to remember that name?

I am, fortunately or not, old enough to have watched Willie in the OHA and attended a few WJC games the year he played on Canada's first sorta all-star team, with Gretzky, Bobby Smith, Gartner, McCrimmon, Ramage, etc. The only similarities he has with Edvinsson are that he was tall and born in Europe. He could get up to a decent skating speed and had a big shot, but otherwise an immobile defenseman with poor puck-handling ability and, by appearances anyway, not the brightest player. Edvinsson is a totally different athlete and player.

To be fair to Huber, the entire 70s and even through early SY era was a terrible time for a young D to develop in Detroit. Reed Larson never really got the hang of how to play defense either.

Comparisons for Edvinsson from that long ago are difficult, just because there were so few physically similar players and play was so different, much looser and crazier in terms of physical intimidation/fighting. Big defenseman Jerry "King Kong" Korab, who had very little skill, had 50 points three times. I knew he'd done it once, but a check of his numbers would suggest a completely different player than what he actually was. People just got out of his way. Any defenseman nudging over 6-2 in the 70s/early 80s was considered unusually tall and many of them were mostly tough guys. Edvinsson's not really similar to Robinson either, but definitely more like Big Bird than Huber.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Closer to Big Bird.
Could be, I got to see Larry quite a bit in his early years when he played for the AHL Vees, he was pretty special (and big for the day), I have only watched Ed on TV so hard to watch the entire on-ice 200 foot game, but the tools are quite similar from what I have seen at the same level and stage. Half way through season 2 Larry got called up, and never looked back. We don't have an AHL team any more, but we do have the Mooseheads in the Q.

Reactions: BSHH

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Even though he’s barely played I thought Edvinsson looked better in the nhl compared to the Griffins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad