Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Chicago Wolves 3 at Grand Rapids Griffins 5 - Status: Final
Saturday, October 20, 2018 - Van Andel Arena

Chicago 0 3 0 - 3
Grand Rapids 2 2 1 - 5

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Elson 1 (Camper), 6:48. 2, Grand Rapids, Saarijarvi 1 (Holmstrom, Sateri), 19:52 (PP).

Penalties-Elson Gr (hooking), 7:11; Matteau Chi (boarding, fighting), 13:24; Carlisle Gr (cross-checking, fighting), 13:24; Smith Gr (roughing), 13:24; Lashoff Gr (cross-checking), 16:00; Hague Chi (hooking), 18:15; Macek Chi (hooking), 18:15.

2nd Period-3, Grand Rapids, Puempel 2 (Camper), 0:48. 4, Chicago, Tynan 3 (Pirri, Duke), 4:39. 5, Chicago, Pirri 2 (Brannstrom, Tynan), 5:44. 6, Chicago, Macek 4 (Whitecloud, Carr), 7:40. 7, Grand Rapids, Terry 2 (Zadina, Chelios), 11:40.

Penalties-Elson Gr (elbowing), 1:20; Yates Gr (kneeing), 15:56; Hague Chi (interference), 19:04.

3rd Period-8, Grand Rapids, Puempel 3 (Elson, Chelios), 19:28 (EN).

Penalties-Tynan Chi (tripping), 1:46; Camper Gr (hooking), 12:19.

Shots on Goal-Chicago 9-12-7-28. Grand Rapids 15-7-10-32.

Power Play Opportunities-Chicago 0 / 6; Grand Rapids 1 / 4.

Goalies-Chicago, Lagace 2-1-0 (31 shots-27 saves). Grand Rapids, Sateri 2-3-0 (28 shots-25 saves).

A-7,462

Referees-Tim Mayer (19), Stephen Reneau (34).
Linesmen-Jake Davis (23), Pat Richardson (67).

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I've got him over Hicketts and Sulak as a better prospect. His skating is so good, and not just his straight line speed. His lateral movement with the puck is great, and so is his escapability. He'll be a solid bottom 4 offensive defenseman for us. He's just got to work on his strength in his own zone.

Need to improve on getting his shot off faster. Waits a bit too long and most of his point shots gets blocked in front and does not get towards goal. Also needs to clear the puck out of his own zoned with more consistency. Good skater and can move the puck up ice.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Zadina has no points and is -3 through 2 periods tonight.

Time to panic? I haven't watched any GR this year, but his stats are underwhelming. Maybe he's just not as good as we all thought? I am by no means writing him off, but I think I have to lower my expectations of a Kucherov 2.0, 40+ goal potential sniper. I am praying he's not just another "undersized 2nd line scorer". We have had too many of these recently.

EDIT: He is now -4 tonight, and an AHL WORST -9 on the season. This is not good at all. Can they send him back to junior? It's kinda sad that he is struggling this much in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule93
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Patience, Patience. Let the 18 yr old get use to the AHL. No hurry to rush the kid to the NHL. He will come around.

His plus minus rating makes me think he should have chosen to be a golfer. Zadina has been extremely underwhelming. This is not good at all.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

Time to panic? I haven't watched any GR this year, but his stats are underwhelming. Maybe he's just not as good as we all thought? I am by no means writing him off, but I think I have to lower my expectations of a Kucherov 2.0, 40+ goal potential sniper. I am praying he's not just another "undersized 2nd line scorer". We have had too many of these recently.

EDIT: He is now -4 tonight, and an AHL WORST -9 on the season. This is not good at all. Can they send him back to junior? It's kinda sad that he is struggling this much in the AHL.
Not sure about the rest of your post, but Zadina definitely isn't undersized.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Its been a handful of games, maybe pump the breaks a bit

Reactions: NickH8
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Its been a handful of games, maybe pump the breaks a bit

As I said, I'm not writing him off. I still have high hopes. It is definitely alarming, and at least worth discussing though. He was "supposed" to make our NHL team, and now he is terrible in the AHL. I know he's young, and let's hope this is just an experience thing, and that he is realizing the jump from junior to pro hockey is difficult.

In hindsight though, he should be playing in Halifax.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Griffins 3 at Belleville Senators 5 - Status: Final
Friday, October 26, 2018 - CAA Arena

Grand Rapids 1 2 0 - 3
Belleville 2 2 1 - 5

1st Period-1, Belleville, Paul 2 (Rodewald, Batherson), 5:56 (PP). 2, Belleville, Tambellini 2 (Beauchemin, Percy), 6:56. 3, Grand Rapids, Elson 2 (Lashoff, Hronek), 10:29.

Penalties-Shine Gr (slashing), 5:50; Lashoff Gr (interference), 13:09; Percy Bel (interference), 16:43; Burgdoerfer Bel (tripping), 19:31.

2nd Period-4, Belleville, Percy 1 (Tambellini, Rodewald), 8:12. 5, Grand Rapids, Ford 2 (Chelios, Saarijarvi), 10:16. 6, Belleville, Sieloff 1 (Balisy, Sexton), 15:11 (SH). 7, Grand Rapids, Holmstrom 2 (Sulak, Megan), 16:03 (PP).

Penalties-Ford Gr (slashing), 0:42; Tambellini Bel (tripping), 1:11; Burgdoerfer Bel (holding), 4:31; Burgdoerfer Bel (slashing), 14:38; Puempel Gr (roughing), 20:00; Rodewald Bel (roughing), 20:00.

3rd Period-8, Belleville, Balisy 3 (Sexton, Sieloff), 3:51.

Penalties-No Penalties

Shots on Goal-Grand Rapids 11-17-6-34. Belleville 11-7-9-27.

Power Play Opportunities-Grand Rapids 1 / 5; Belleville 1 / 3.

Goalies-Grand Rapids, Sateri 2-4-0 (27 shots-22 saves). Belleville, McKenna 3-3-0 (34 shots-31 saves).

A-2,457

Referees-Mike Dietrich (15), Guillaume Labonte (35).
Linesmen-Nick Borg (67), Cory Piche (22).

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
+/- is a useless stat.

Agreed. Well, not entirely. +/- is a useless individual stat, and usually is indicative of team play.

Regardless, -9 is ugly. Based on it being a team stat, Zadina is dead last out of all Griffins in +/-. That's not good. I'm expecting a ton from Zadina, so I am not happy with a statline of 7GP 2G 2A 4PTS -9. I want him to become a star, and this is underwhelming. I'm not saying "Zadina is a bust", I'm saying "Zadina was been underwhelming, and maybe we need to lower our expectations a bit."

While I admit my criticism may be premature, I do feel like we need to at least question his play a bit.

Oct 18, 2006

It certainly hasn't been an ideal start, but we need to acknowledge that GR are off to a dreadful start and IMO the new coach is a dud, and won't last long.

We all would've liked to see more production out of the gate, but lets just be patient. I love tracking these kids and boy do we need Zadina to pan out, but we won't know anything really until at the very least the halfway point of the season. Just give him more time to figure it out. If he's still really struggling later in the season, then lets re-asses.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
As I said, I'm not writing him off. I still have high hopes. It is definitely alarming, and at least worth discussing though. He was "supposed" to make our NHL team, and now he is terrible in the AHL. I know he's young, and let's hope this is just an experience thing, and that he is realizing the jump from junior to pro hockey is difficult.

In hindsight though, he should be playing in Halifax.
He wasn't supposed to make the team at all, very few players are ever "supposed" to make the NHL right out of the draft. Look at what a highly hyped, d+2 player like Tolvanen is doing in the AHL. Martin Necas has 0 points in 4 AHL games so far and is also in his d+2. Domination should not be the expectation for 18-19 year olds.
Zadina in his d+1, transitioning into a pretty difficult pro league on a team that hasn't been doing well. His production is decent, his +/- is bad but you make too much of a stat like that for a scoring winger. It's hard to know if AHL is better for him than staying in juniors another year, but it's way too early to make a conclusion.

Reactions: RedWingzz

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Definitely NOT time to panic. Let’s have a little patience here.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He's playing in the AHL in his D+1 and is over .5 ppg while looking a little shaky. Of course I'm not panicking.

**** man, information may be too available to people at this point.

I don't care what his stats are im actually watching him and am completely unimpressed

Reactions: RedWingzz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad