Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Zadina was put on the top line as the Griffins leading scorer, Chris Terry has not played on Wed nor in tonight's game due to an injury. Most likely will not play tomorrow night here in GR vs Milwaukee. Hoping for a break out game back here tomorrow night. Will see.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
His numbers in GR better than Tatars or Manthas

Yeah, and? That's not really saying much, he was drafted higher than those 2, and projects to have a far higher ceiling than those 2, so I sure hope his AHL production is higher than theirs as rookies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, and? That's not really saying much, he was drafted higher than those 2, and projects to have a far higher ceiling than those 2, so I sure hope his AHL production is higher than theirs as rookies.
He was supposed to go #3 or 4, but before draft his physical condition was below average and that's why we got him at #6. Bob McKenzie said if he is so good at hockey with his current condition, wait until he gets stronger.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Milwaukee Admirals 0 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 - Status: Final
Saturday, January 19, 2019 - Van Andel Arena

Milwaukee 0 0 0 - 0
Grand Rapids 1 0 2 - 3

1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Puempel 17 (Megan, Ford), 19:53.

Penalties-Richard Mil (unsportsmanlike conduct), 0:27; Hicketts Gr (unsportsmanlike conduct), 0:27; Megan Gr (roughing), 6:03; Elson Gr (double minor - high-sticking), 9:21.

2nd Period- No Scoring.

Penalties-Gregoire Mil (hooking), 8:21; Kirkland Mil (slashing), 8:34; Tinordi Mil (interference), 14:44; Campbell Gr (tripping), 18:06.

3rd Period-2, Grand Rapids, Megan 8 (Puempel, Camper), 6:17 (PP). 3, Grand Rapids, Smith 3 (Lashoff, Turgeon), 18:18 (EN).

Penalties-Tolvanen Mil (hooking), 5:17.

Shots on Goal-Milwaukee 13-4-7-24. Grand Rapids 2-15-11-28.

Power Play Opportunities-Milwaukee 0 / 4; Grand Rapids 1 / 4.

Goalies-Milwaukee, McCollum 8-8-5 (27 shots-25 saves). Grand Rapids, Rybar 10-6-5 (24 shots-24 saves).

A-10,834

Referees-Shaun Davis (31), Furman South (44).
Linesmen-Jake Davis (23), Bob Marcis (65).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yea I know, I was just frustrated at that moment lol... Basically using him on the goal line as like a passer instead of out in the slot as a shooter, it was weird... oh well ha

A lot of times on 5 on 3 you place a great shooter on the goal-line, Kucherov and Tarasenko do this in Five on Threes for instance often. It is because to score from there is a steep angle and you actually need a player that can pull off that tight of an angle and one-time the puck. He also needs to be able to quickly one-touch the puck to the point and back. Really placing a guy on the goal-line like that assuming (I haven't watched the game on replay yet) he placed Zadina on the side that allowed him one-timer access to the net is actually more of a statement of his talent. On a lot of teams with an umbrella look once you go five on three drop their player on the goal-line like that. I have seen it with Kucherov, Marner and the like. It is about creating options and angles and in that sense having a multi-purpose threat on the goal-line is important but requires enormous hockey IQ and really good hands to have that role be impactful. To me it is more a compliment though I will have to see the tape and see how it all went.

But there is the long-winded coaching version I am guessing Simon might rebuttal your criticism with. Of course that might not be his thought process at all. But your most accurate shooter being the guy with his feet on the goal-line isn't stunning, heck Datsyuk and Zetterberg would wind up there from time to time, it is a danger area that a high caliber player can take advantage of 5 on 3. Glad to see Zadina getting time there, it might be useful down the road which is what this season is all about for me.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Yea I know, I was just frustrated at that moment lol... Basically using him on the goal line as like a passer instead of out in the slot as a shooter, it was weird... oh well ha

Does not help if the Griffins leading scorer Chris Terry did not play at all this week due to a "nagging injury". Terry would have been the one on a 5 on 3 PP by the goal line, but Simon had to make a decision as to who would take over that spot when Terry is out and he chose Zadina.

Plus that the Griffins PP has been towards the bottom of the AHL in that department for most of the season. He found the PP unit of Puempel, Megan, Camper, Ford, & Saarijarvi last week combining for 4 PP goals. Team has talent and it puzzles everyone as to why the Griffins are not more scoring consistent on the PP this season. Players are going up and down here lately and with Megan back, one vet has to sit out for each game some your lineup is constantly changing from game to game. Tough to watch here at times. You never know who is in the lineup and who is sitting out.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Team is second overall in the entire league.

Officially the Griffins are 7th overall in the AHL. In the AHL you go by points percentage, not points, especially in the Western Conference with the difference in games played by the Pacific Division. The AHL website must of had glitches last season by live standings by points percentage to where it created a problem keeping it up to date, so this season, they just have it sorted by points.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Doubtful. Doing OK, but not enough for him to get a call up. Too many forwards ahead of him in the pecking order (not in any order):

Puempel
Terry
Elson
Turgeon
Megan
Zadina
Camper

What's the deal with Turgeon this season? I figured he'd get call ups when the wings needed a spare 4th liner this year and eventually get penciled in as a spare forward when his waiver exemption runs out next year, but his numbers look pretty pedestrian...

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What's the deal with Turgeon this season? I figured he'd get call ups when the wings needed a spare 4th liner this year and eventually get penciled in as a spare forward when his waiver exemption runs out next year, but his numbers look pretty pedestrian...

I think he had an outlier type of season last year. He's only 22 so I could see him getting the odd call up or two down the road but I think he settled back down to what he can consistently produce this year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think he had an outlier type of season last year. He's only 22 so I could see him getting the odd call up or two down the road but I think he settled back down to what he can consistently produce this year.

That blood problem set him back in development. I think Ehn already does what Turgeon was supposed to be and we could let him walk/trade.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Took Turgeon awhile since his blood disorder was discovered last season to get back into shape. Although he reported to Wings training camp on time, his timing was still off and it took about a month into the Griffins season for him to get back into shape. His role this season is more of a two-way center, shutdown the top opponent's line role paired with Campbell as the #1 PK unit for the team. Offence output comes in spurts and he has been called upon to be one of the shootout players for the Griffins. Improving on face-offs this season, which is a plus. Not exactly sure what the Wings will do with him after this season if he will be around or not or even if he gets a look after the TDL.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Took Turgeon awhile since his blood disorder was discovered last season to get back into shape. Although he reported to Wings training camp on time, his timing was still off and it took about a month into the Griffins season for him to get back into shape. His role this season is more of a two-way center, shutdown the top opponent's line role paired with Campbell as the #1 PK unit for the team. Offence output comes in spurts and he has been called upon to be one of the shootout players for the Griffins. Improving on face-offs this season, which is a plus. Not exactly sure what the Wings will do with him after this season if he will be around or not or even if he gets a look after the TDL.

Honestly, drag his ass into scouting.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Thanks for the update.

I'd have to imagine if he's that useful in GR, he'll probably get qualified ($715k offer) and extended on another two-way contract. Then he gets a shot in camp to make the team as a Cory Emmerton type spare part. If he doesn't, he gets waived and goes back to GR to give them some depth that doesn't count as a veteran.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Sateri in goal for the Griffins tonight. Chris Terry still out with a day/day injury. Hronek will arrive in GR tomorrow so he will not play tonight, but he will play in the 2 games here this weekend vs the SJ Barracuda. Griffins will be Moose hunting tonight as they take on the Manitoba Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese