Grand Rapids Griffins 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

They have way too many good D right now. Hronek, Saarijärvi??

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We need to trade sproul. And then maybe split 38-38 with hronek and saarijarvi?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Ok, 19 games. Didn't make the team, sent to the minors.

Why not try to move him? He isn't going to be a factor for the Wings.

Yeah he didn’t get any points and his main strength is offense. At best he’s a bottom line pp guy. Can easily get one of those

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Great game, a bit chippy, but I think that stuff will smooth out over the next month. Sproul looked good, mcilrath looked good, hickits was moving around up there, but none of the offensive guys shined all that bright to me. Kyle Conner looked dangerous for the moose, but that should be expected.

Side note I caught the shirt that coreau threw for 3rd star of the game. That was cool!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Should definitely get a minor trade done to alleviate that D backlog. One of our D for a forward.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hronek and Saarijarvi both riding the pine to start the season. Let's hope that changes quickly because that is the absolutely worst situation for their development.

Great game nonetheless. The Griffins have an awesome fan base.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Not a great game last night. Good old TommyMac showed off his puckhandling skills a few times.

Mods: could this thread be stickied like in the past?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So great for their development.... please hoard more Ken Holland...
Not that I want them riding the pine, but I don't understand why people are fine with prospects playing 30-40 games in the NCAA but panic if prospects are being healthy scratched at times during an 80 game season in the pros.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not that I want them riding the pine, but I don't understand why people are fine with prospects playing 30-40 games in the NCAA but panic if prospects are being healthy scratched at times during an 80 game season in the pros.

I can't make an NCAA season longer than it is. This is nonsense and you know it. These kids should be playing every game.

They have already been playing 60 game seasons in the OHL. They need to get the feel for the grind of a pro season.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I can't make an NCAA season longer than it is. This is nonsense and you know it. These kids should be playing every game.

They have already been playing 60 game seasons in the OHL. They need to get the feel for the grind of a pro season.
Well sitting out 2 games means nothing in the long run. They could play 70+ games and playoffs still. I think playing just 40-50 AHL games is way more physically demanding and challenging than 60+ games in junior so it's not just about the number of games played. I want them playing but I wouldn't think it's bad for their development to play in the NCAA, I wouldn't think it destroys their development if they get hurt and miss some games, and it's not hurting them much to sit out a few games in a long season. If they've got what it takes to make it, missing a handful of games ain't gonna make or break them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well sitting out 2 games means nothing in the long run. They could play 70+ games and playoffs still. I think playing just 40-50 AHL games is way more physically demanding and challenging than 60+ games in junior so it's not just about the number of games played. I want them playing but I wouldn't think it's bad for their development to play in the NCAA, I wouldn't think it destroys their development if they get hurt and miss some games, and it's not hurting them much to sit out a few games in a long season. If they've got what it takes to make it, missing a handful of games ain't gonna make or break them.

It's all completely avoidable (the fact that they aren't playing). But if that's how you wanna try to justify it, go for it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They haven't played at all at this point, so let's not estimate the number of games they're going to play quite yet. They have to play Game 1 before they play Game 30. But I just don't understand what Holland and Martin are trying to do here. They intentionally brought in too many veteran defensemen, knowing it would limit playing time for only the most important prospects in the entire system. Are they going to tell us the AHL is a man's league, and that these kids need to prove themselves in the ECHL first?

This is just a bonehead move. I can understand having one guy on the outside looking in, and you switch it between the two prospects so that each one gets playing time. But having 8 D and not playing the prospects at all? Why are they even in that league, then? Send them down or loan them back to their European leagues.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Was not aware of an injury

Svech and Bertuzzi will not make the CA trip this week. They both should be ready by the next home game (10/21). Svech neck is doing much better and he told me that he is chopping at the bit to be back on the ice and play games again. Got to sit with him and Dylan Sadowy at our Griffins Booster Club "Meet the Team" dinner earlier this evening. Nice time and great turnout. The Calder Cup was there as well.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Not a great game last night. Good old TommyMac showed off his puckhandling skills a few times.

Mods: could this thread be stickied like in the past?

Did not help that the center part of GR lost power 3 hours before game time and team and league officials decided at 7:00 (usual game time) that the ice was playable and then told the teams about 10 minutes later to take warm ups. Game started after 8 pm and the Moose was ready to play and the Griffins were not.

I was at the arena at 3:30 getting my photo taken on the ice with the Calder Cup and the 2 championship banners and about 5 minutes later, the power went out. Weird night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad