Grand Rapids Griffins 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We need to trade sproul. And then maybe split 38-38 with hronek and saarijarvi?

Agreed. He did not impress me at the 2 Griffins games so far. Sure he scored a PP goal on a one-timer on opening night. That is what he is good at, but as a D-man, he was the one that was outskated by a Moose winger shorthanded and that player made a pass in the middle to his teammate all alone to beat Coreau. Later in that game, he was out of position in the netural zone and his man that he was suppose to cover, went in on a breakaway from center ice in, but Coreau bailed him out and made the save.

Saturday night, the team as a whole did not look good at all. Currently a -4 after 2 games, is not a good start for him if he wants to get back to Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well sitting out 2 games means nothing in the long run. They could play 70+ games and playoffs still. I think playing just 40-50 AHL games is way more physically demanding and challenging than 60+ games in junior so it's not just about the number of games played. I want them playing but I wouldn't think it's bad for their development to play in the NCAA, I wouldn't think it destroys their development if they get hurt and miss some games, and it's not hurting them much to sit out a few games in a long season. If they've got what it takes to make it, missing a handful of games ain't gonna make or break them.

Agree with this. And if you are not playing, you can do more training and learn systemic things in theory. Time to complete them on practise (in games) will come later.

Very simple.

Playing every possible game no matter what how tired you are etc. is very short-sighted view of process in player development.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looks like RD Saarijärvi, RD McCarron and C/RW Nastasiuk were sent to Toledo, when Griffins head to West coast.

So that leaves...

Lashoff-Russo
Hicketts-McIlrath
Renouf-Sproul/Hronek

...for the defensive corps.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like RD Saarijärvi, RD McCarron and C/RW Nastasiuk were sent to Toledo, when Griffins head to West coast.

So that leaves...

Lashoff-Russo
Hicketts-McIlrath
Renouf-Sproul/Hronek

...for the defensive corps.

I'm guessing when Ericsson or Kronwall inevitably go on LTIR, Russo or Sproul will become the 7th D in Detroit, which would open a spot for Hronek.

But I think they should be rotating him in before that happens. Really frustrating how we constantly bury players until injuries happen. I get that depth is good, but we go way overboard with it, especially for a re-building team.

I also think Saarijarvi is probably too good for the ECHL, but at least he will be playing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm guessing when Ericsson or Kronwall inevitably go on LTIR, Russo or Sproul will become the 7th D in Detroit, which would open a spot for Hronek.

But I think they should be rotating him in before that happens. Really frustrating how we constantly bury players until injuries happen. I get that depth is good, but we go way overboard with it, especially for a re-building team.

I also think Saarijarvi is probably too good for the ECHL, but at least he will be playing.

You seem always worry about the best possible scenario, in theory, when everybody is healthy. :) It's not realism. Just look last 20 years behind on any team...

There's so many players in this total picture, that you need those 8-9 guys. AHL-traffic is a 2-way street, guys go both up in NHL and down in ECHL. It doubles the movement vs. NHL. There's ~16 guys in the NHL+AHL group and you just can't deal without injuries with that size of group.

They will get their games, one way or another. I find it pretty interesting to see Saarijärvi go to ECHL. I expect him to destroy that league. Can play 30min per game if needed. That would not happen at GR.

At some point he will be called back and maybe Hronek goes down to experiment the same stint with bigger ice-time. I see them competing against other puck-moving righties Russo and Sproul. Otherways the defence is pretty much locked up.

Lashoff - Russo <--Hronek/Saarijärvi?
Renouf - Sproul <--Hronek/Saarijärvi?
Hicketts - McIlrath (handnesses and roles compliment so well, with each other, but not so good with anybody else. lock them together)

At last season we had:

Russo, 58+19 = 77 games (AHL+NHL) + 19 playoff games = 96 games
Hicketts, 73 games (AHL) + 19 playoff games = 92 games
Paetsch, 73 games (AHL) + 19 playoff games = 92 games
Renouf, 67+1 = 68 games (AHL+NHL) + 19 AHL playoff games = 87 games
Lashoff, 62+5 = 67 games (AHL+NHL) + 17 playoff games = 84 games
Jensen, 27+49 = 76 games (AHL+NHL)
McIlrath, 43+6 = 49 games (AHL+NHL) +19 playoff games = 65 games
Allen, 56 games (AHL)

Then there was extra 25 games given for McCarron, Caito, Hronek and Cholowski.

For example, Hronek played 59 (OHL) + 15 (U20) + 12 (AHL) games at last season = 86 game total

They will get their games.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltdetroit

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins spoil San Jose Barracuda home opener with 7-3 victory.

Griffins dominated the Barracuda for the first 2 periods as they went on to beat the Barracuda in a rematch of the 2017 Western Conference Finals. Coreau stopped 26 of 29 shots for his 2nd win of the season. Tomorrow night in Stockton to complete the 2 game trip in CA.

1 2 3 F
GR 2 3 2 7
SJ 0 0 3 3

GR 12 10 5 27
SJ 10 8 11 29

PP: 2-4
PK: 4-4

Griffins goals: Turgeon (2), Lorito (PP), Elkins, Elson (2) [G, SH], Carey (PP)

Griffins assists: Holmstrom (2), Lorito, Sproul (2), Campbell (2), Street, Hicketts, Russo, Renouf

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe Elson will get a call up. Ppg in the nhl. 7 points right now or more (don’t know if it updated)

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Thought he looked good in pre-season. Won't be a star but I like his potential as a 4th line guy.
Him and Campbell won me over in last season's playoffs, those two were magic on the PK. It isn't often a penalty kill energizes a team like these guys had it doing.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey everyone - don't want to hijack the thread away from the actual hockey discussion, but I just moved home to GR and will be attending the Wednesday night game on the 25th. It'll be my first trip to Van Andel in about 5 years. Anything different or new to keep in mind? TIA!

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey everyone - don't want to hijack the thread away from the actual hockey discussion, but I just moved home to GR and will be attending the Wednesday night game on the 25th. It'll be my first trip to Van Andel in about 5 years. Anything different or new to keep in mind? TIA!

Have to enter through the front doors and go through metal detectors before entering inside. Missed 2 Championship banners raised up in the rafters since you were last here. If you are a smoker, they want all smokers to smoke outside at the SE end of the arena instead of the front doors. New glass and boards installed for this season. Those are the newest changes at VanAndel Arena recently.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Have to enter through the front doors and go through metal detectors before entering inside. Missed 2 Championship banners raised up in the rafters since you were last here. If you are a smoker, they want all smokers to smoke outside at the SE end of the arena instead of the front doors. New glass and boards installed for this season. Those are the newest changes at VanAndel Arena recently.

Thanks for the info! Don't worry, I saw both Calder Cup clinching games online. Excited to get back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Turgeon with 5 pts in 4 games. Also 11 shots in 4 games. Had kind of given up on him, but that's encouraging.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Turgeon with 5 pts in 4 games. Also 11 shots in 4 games. Had kind of given up on him, but that's encouraging.

Yeah I was thinking the other day that Gallant and Pearson have a lot of what they sold on Turgeon on draft day. Turns out to start the season Turgeon has a lot of what they talked about him having on draft day. Great start, I hope he can keep it up.

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hronek in tonight's lineup vs Hershey Bears, Sproul out. Lorito is out (same as last night) day to day injury. Bertuzzi still out until first week in November. Coreau in goal again tonight. First and only visit for the Bears (lost in Milwaukee last night 4-1) since 2006. Will be at the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->