Boston Bruins Grading Sweeney and the Bruins on their deadline moves

How do you grade Sweeney on his 2018 trade deadline?

• Total voters

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
B- for me. Wingels is a good depth add. Holden is a good depth add. Gionta, come on, give me a break -- was looking for something better as a depth add than him.

As for Nash, I feel like he is overrated and a playoff under-performer. The idea that he is some kind of sniper hasn't proven true for the past several years. He has had finish-itis something awful. He has also missed quite a few games since that 2014-15 season (22, 15, 21). It scares me, rationally or not, that he has missed none this year so far, so it almost seems as if he is due. Here's to good health, Rick! My biggest question mark is that he truly has been a subpar playoff player. His shooting percentage in his career in the playoffs is a pitiful 5.7%, half of his normal pct. I like his size and his willingness to get dirty and work for goals around the net with that reach. His game has changed in that regard as he has aged. I don't have a problem with what the Bs gave up, rather I have a problem that they gave that up for a Nash rental. I very much hope he proves me wrong and meshes well with Krejci without making that line too slow and has a huge playoffs. I'll be rooting hard for him, but I guess I am somewhat skeptical at the moment. It seems like Sweeney is rolling the dice and hoping some kind of chemistry thing will jump start Nash and bring him back to a bit of former glory. Will it work out that way? Sure hope so.

On the plus side, DS did what I was hoping he would do in terms of not trading away key youth. He is primarily sticking with what got the Bs to this point, and will be giving these kids valuable playoff experience. Good on him. In summary, DS added a couple decent depth pieces, kept the main youth in the system, but is taking a pretty big gamble on Nash for the reasons I previously mentioned. This team is still in a position to make a deep run if they can avoid key injuries and the team D can get back to where it was.

Counterpoint.

Nash’s supposed reputation for postseason indifference was forged primarily in his first three trips to the playoffs.

41 gp: 5g/13a (.44 ppg)

In his last three trips, he has been much better.

36 gp: 10g/13a (.64 ppg)

In his first trip to the PO’s (w/CBJ) there was no doubt that he was THE man. His only real help was Brassard and Umberger. Voracek was only 19. The majority of his time with the Rangers, he’s been the primary scorer and teams obviously concentrated on shutting him down.

On this Bruin’s team, he’s a 2nd line player and the 4th scoring option behind 63, 37, and 88. He won’t be the primary focus defensively and he (and Krejci) should both benefit from that.

By all accounts, Nash has changed his diet and work outs and is in very good shape. He’s a big, powerful guy and I don’t anticipate any health issues this year (knock on wood).

It appears to me that you are looking mostly at Nash’s negatives?

Reactions: JP Nolan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Counterpoint.

Nash’s supposed reputation for postseason indifference was forged primarily in his first three trips to the playoffs.

41 gp: 5g/13a (.44 ppg)

In his last three trips, he has been much better.

36 gp: 10g/13a (.64 ppg)

In his first trip to the PO’s (w/CBJ) there was no doubt that he was THE man. His only real help was Brassard and Umberger. Voracek was only 19. The majority of his time with the Rangers, he’s been the primary scorer and teams obviously concentrated on shutting him down.

On this Bruin’s team, he’s a 2nd line player and the 4th scoring option behind 63, 37, and 88. He won’t be the primary focus defensively and he (and Krejci) should both benefit from that.

By all accounts, Nash has changed his diet and work outs and is in very good shape. He’s a big, powerful guy and I don’t anticipate any health issues this year (knock on wood).

It appears to me that you are looking mostly at Nash’s negatives?
Nope. I know his positives and how he has changed his game. I just haven't been very impressed with what I've seen from him the past few years. I don't discount the opinions of those folks who are excited to have him here, as Nash has the potential to help the team. I'm just in the mode of I need to see it to believe it, prove me wrong. I guess everyone has players they believe in more than others. Nash isn't one of those players for me based on what I've observed. I am just voicing my skepticism and reservations. I'm definitely not going to be a negative Nancy over him coming here and will be rooting hard for Nash. Hopefully he is the missing piece on that line and he is very successful in the playoffs.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
B-

Love the Nash trade. It addressed a big weakness in the forward group. Having said that, I have some concerns about the 3rd line and power play with spooner gone and his speed missing.

The top 4 defensive group is just not ready/able to handle a deep playoff run imo. Sweeney should have done something to improve that area. I hope I’m proven wrong but there’s too much youth back there and not enough experience. I feel like the forwards are going to have to really show up to play in round 1 if the bruins hope to advance against Tampa/Leafs and Tuukka is going to have to keep playing as well as he has been because the defense isn’t going to hold up.

Reactions: JP Nolan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Nope. I know his positives and how he has changed his game. I just haven't been very impressed with what I've seen from him the past few years. I don't discount the opinions of those folks who are excited to have him here, as Nash has the potential to help the team. I'm just in the mode of I need to see it to believe it, prove me wrong. I guess everyone has players they believe in more than others. Nash isn't one of those players for me based on what I've observed. I am just voicing my skepticism and reservations. I'm definitely not going to be a negative Nancy over him coming here and will be rooting hard for Nash. Hopefully he is the missing piece on that line and he is very successful in the playoffs.

This is pretty much my position. I wish Nash well, but am skeptical.

He's 33, has a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for disappearing, and a concussion history that may have effected his physicality & willingness to battle.

I don't know. These are impressions. Fairly or unfairly, don't believe Nash has risen to the challenge.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
B. I think their biggest need was a top 4 D and they didn't address that and I believe it will ultimately be what kills them in the playoffs. I think Lindgren will be a good player but I'm happy with the Nash trade and the Vatrano trade. Wingels is good depth, Gionta is hopefully never going to see the ice, the Holden trade is fine I suppose.

Reactions: Bridges31

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
A+

This core has 2 years left, max. Everyone is healthy right now so this could be the best shot for awhile.

Nash is the guy I've been saying I wanted for weeks. He's a perfect fit on this team in every way and the best forward available at the deadline. He also came cheaper than I expected with none of the top prospects gone.

Add in a good depth defenseman and a bottom six forward and we're set.

Only thing I don't like is giving up on Vatrano but I understand it.

Ya, that's my take. He checked every box I wanted him to without gutting the roster nor prospects.
Vatrano... I like him, I cheer for him, but I'm happy with the trade simply because it's going to give him a better shot at carving out an NHL career. He could go on and become a perpetual 30 goal guy and I'll still be mostly happy for him than worried about them cutting ties.
It's not always about winning trades. Sometimes it's about doing the best thing for your team and for the players.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I did B-. Liked all the adds. Think giving up Spooner was a mistake as they'll need his scoring when an injury happens, but Dom brings up great points about bonuses and fitting Donato in, who I love and think will be an offensive Dynamo (but not as defensively responsible as Heinen, Debrusk or Bjork) so gonna need a little time.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like that the Bruins recognize that their window to go for the Cup has suddenly been propped open again. These are moves that a contending team makes to help them go deep into the playoffs and hopefully win it all.

I think out of all the players, the most pressure is on David Krejci. The team pushed hard to get him a winger that he prefers. As long as he keeps creating and feeding Nash the puck like he did in Buffalo, Nash is going to get about 10 goals as a Bruin by the time the season is over.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’ll add...

If the Rangers buy out Beleskey, the Bruins will have effectively removed ~$5M from next year’s cap obligations (between Spooner's at least 10% raise and the difference between a buried Beleskey and a shared buyout).

They've given themselves breathing room for next season. If Bjork, Donato and someone like JFK all make the team next year (for example) they'll have room to make a big addition if it's there.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Up front I wanted a strong 2-way LH center with some term (Brassard) a bit more more than a Right Wing UFA (Nash) but if this brings out one more performance of the playoff Krejci then it's going to be something special. I think the success of Nash (and the Bruins) is almost all on Krejci and his health. Nash knows the clock is ticking on being a winner in the NHL. It will be good to have that hunger. I do worry about speed and having any kind of reliable bottom six scoring.

One other positive is that Nash and Gionta gives the Bruins two more former NHL-captains in the fold.
I think the scoring tank is about empty, but I see Gionta having some use during the upcoming March grind. He looked sluggish at the Olympics but you can do worse for organizational depth. One thing is for sure; he will give everything he has.

The Wingels trade was a good one. Under the radar and great right side insurance. Wingels is an upgrade on Acciari at this time.

Holden is good depth as well and I'm glad they were able to move on from Beleskey.

A-/B+

Last edited:

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
B-. He did not do anything that solidifies this roster as a top contender IMO, a la TB and Pitt. But Im not certain we are at that point to do so anyhow. Nor did he give up our young roster players and I'm hopeful on Nash.

Reactions: Bridges31

Root

Feb 22, 2010
A-

I really like the Nash deal. We upgraded Spooner and got Krejci a big, highly skilled winger. I think Nash and Krejci are going to be excellent together. I like everything I've heard about Lindgren but Sweeney was smart and dealt from a position of strength, we have a lot of left handed shooting defenseman prospects. Spooner didn't have a spot anymore and I'm just happy Beleskey isn't our problem going forward. Hopefully the Rangers buy him out. Losing the first sucks, but it's to be expected in a deal like this and I'm happy we legitimately upgraded our roster.

I think the Holden deal is going to be better than people think, won't be surprised to see him slot in come playoff time. Gave up fair value.

Got good value on Vatrano.

I like Wingles, he might edge out Acciari and is a pain in the ass to play against.

Gionta is good veteran depth.

Sweeney did great, probably could've went with an "A".

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
B+ with the opportunity to go higher - I'll wait until the season is finished, but my initial reaction is pure joy.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
It's well above average. I was generous with an A-.

Really think Wingels will be what we want Acciari to be.

Nash SHOULD be very good in a secondary role. Just need to sign him and not lose that asset unless he turns into Jagr.

Vatrano deal as pointed out was good for both parties.

I think I know what you mean, as in Jagr with the B's that couldn't score in the playoffs, but just for reference: Nash turns 33 in the summer. The year Jagr turned 33, 2005, he returned to the NHL after the lockout and potted 54+69 for 123 points. I think I'd like it if Nash turns into Jagr.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
A- and best deadline in years

Let's not forget he didn't even trade a 20-30 range pick. He traded a 45-50 range pick because that's who he was going to draft in the first anyway!

Of all the things to knock Sweeney for, why on earth would you pick on his draft record which has been pretty fantastic?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think I know what you mean, as in Jagr with the B's that couldn't score in the playoffs, but just for reference: Nash turns 33 in the summer. The year Jagr turned 33, 2005, he returned to the NHL after the lockout and potted 54+69 for 123 points. I think I'd like it if Nash turns into Jagr.
I hope he doesn’t turn into Jagr because that would mean the chemistry has been disrupted.

Jagr was not liked by Bergeron, Marchand and a few others.

I want Nash to be anything but Jagr.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not sure I`m comfortable giving a grade quite yet however my concerns about this team as they head down the stretch and into the playoffs were many. How would the multitude of kids with limited or no playoff experience adjust to the ramped up games to finish out the season then the playoffs? Well, the addition of Gionta/Wingles may not be the kind of acquisitions that will have fans celebrating too hard but both are guys Butch can push into the lineup and provide a steady if unspectacular game. Gionta with, I believe 100+ playoff games and Wingles with almost 50. Then DS, who obviously has not allowed himself to forget the playoff issue on the back end last year with all those injuries acquires Holden. Now, I`m one of those fans who has either not seen him play or I have and he did little to jump out at me which isn`t necessarily a bad thing however, he too comes in with some playoff experience albeit not a ton (think I heard about 20 games?).

Add Nash to the mix, fans here, since the departure of Horty, Looch then Iggy screamed for the GM to put a big body who can do some heavy lifting, has skill and who can potentially play with DK which isn`t as easy as it seems so they snag Nash. I`ve been less than impressed with Nash over his career, it`s not like he hasn`t produced some big numbers but he`s had some rough playoff series over the years and his game isn`t what it once was but we`ll see. I did see some chemistry vs the Sabres and saw a line that looked immediately upgraded for one game.

What I liked most about this deadline is DS did not send away any of the kids on the NHL roster and didn`t send the Zboril`s/Donato`s or whomever you would consider to be the B`s top prospects to acquire anyone. So for me, that`s a win, all that said, until I get to see what affect these plays have on the team, not sure I can put a grade to it but one thing is clear, DS appears to be a GM who doesn`t make the same mistakes over and over again and I have little to complain about. The price for McD, IMO would likely have meant the Rags would have demanded a Heinen/DeBrusk and I`ve never been nearly as enamored with McD as some and I`ve long been a fan who doesn`t believe that the team making the biggest splash doesn`t always win................story to be continued, and how can I bash a GM who got rid of Beleskey?

Reactions: Alicat

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is pretty much my position. I wish Nash well, but am skeptical.

He's 33, has a reputation (deserved or otherwise) for disappearing, and a concussion history that may have effected his physicality & willingness to battle.

I don't know. These are impressions. Fairly or unfairly, don't believe Nash has risen to the challenge.

Really good article on Nash from about a month ago. Addresses some of the “impressions” you bring up:

Rick Nash Offers A Lot To An NHL Contender – Gotham Sports Network

Reactions: GordonHowe

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I’ll add...

If the Rangers buy out Beleskey, the Bruins will have effectively removed ~$5M from next year’s cap obligations (between Spooner's at least 10% raise and the difference between a buried Beleskey and a shared buyout).

They've given themselves breathing room for next season. If Bjork, Donato and someone like JFK all make the team next year (for example) they'll have room to make a big addition if it's there.

If they buyout Beleskey and Nash plays like he’s capable, I think this turns into a clear A+ deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad