Boston Bruins Grading Sweeney and the Bruins on their deadline moves

How do you grade Sweeney on his 2018 trade deadline?

• Total voters

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Gave a wee bit too much for my liking. Not a disaster by any means though and the team is probably a bit better. Better equipped to deal with injuries if nothing else. Being able to cut Beleskey's contract in half was also a good move. If Nash meshes well and takes a reasonable extension Sweeney will look a lot better. Rangers buying out Beleskey would also help the Bruins a ton, so if there was some gentleman's agreement there he'll come out looking pretty sharp.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I like our deadline stuff, very good. I give a B+ because I felt like we gave up a tad too much for Nash (I know, it was the market) and I didn't love the O'Gara trade. Glad to see Beleskey gone and Vatrano to get a chance elsewhere along with Spooner. Nothing to really complain about. Love the pickups of Nash and Wingels, Holden should be a nice depth player for us on D (or maybe more than that, who knows), and Gionta is a safe depth signing. Great job all around Donnie.

EDIT: see a couple have selected D and D-... seriously, fellas, WTF? Looking at who it is, I guess I am not surprised, but wow . . .

I second that motion, verbatim.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
B+. McDonagh would be A but we couldnt afford to give up the assets TB did. I like Wingels pickup. I think hes better then Acciari

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
A

I wanted Nash, I wanted Wingels and I wanted a proven LHD. Donny got it done while (sort of) getting rid of Beleskey as well. Don’t think I’ll miss any of the outgoing players and while it hurts a bit to lose so many picks the cupboards are still very well stocked.

I’m happy and I must say a little bit surprised at how well we did as I expected less action.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
If you like Nash and only grade the trade in terms of alue, it's a C-. He didn't overpay, but he didn't fleece Gorton either. It would have been better for us had the Rangers swallowed all of Beleskeys-contract.

The other deals were perfectly fine, cannot complain.

I also like that he didn't feel the need to top Tampas package for McD. Don't think he was the missing piece.

But on the other hand, Nash feels like a "win now" move" when there are clearly teams who are stronger on paper and easily more favored (Pitts, Tampa with Toronto and Caps being at least on par). If I'm honest, I wouldn't have made that Nash trade. He didn't give up the world, but he could have used that 1st for some other value on draft day.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Stop renting players on first round picks, especially when it's obvious to everybody in the room the Bruins are not the favorites to win. There's a lot of rookies who will experience their first playoff run this year. Losing Lindgren is a huge risk, in my opinion. Effectively, we got Iginla v2.

My only solace is knowing that Sweeney reaches wildly with the first round pick anyways, so more than likely we probably lost out on 60th overall with that part of the deal.
Yeah I’m kinda thinking like you about rental player and the first round pick,I never had a problem when the Bruins tried to get Iginla and ended up with Jagr.Bruins were a dam good hockey team we knew they could go along way and maybe all the way again.We really don’t know what this team is capable of ,yeah they had 3months where they looked vantastic.Just Not sure If a few months is enough to judge how good they are.Now saying this I kinda get Sweeney making the moves.Chara probably only has a couple of seasons left,Bergy and Krejci ain’t getting any younger.Its a gutsy move,hope it works.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Stop renting players on first round picks, especially when it's obvious to everybody in the room the Bruins are not the favorites to win. There's a lot of rookies who will experience their first playoff run this year. Losing Lindgren is a huge risk, in my opinion. Effectively, we got Iginla v2.

My only solace is knowing that Sweeney reaches wildly with the first round pick anyways, so more than likely we probably lost out on 60th overall with that part of the deal.

Chara and Bergeron do strike me as guys that feel they can't win when they step on to the ice. I agree

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Would like to see him shop some of the kids who are roadblocked and get us back into the first round of the draft

Depending what goes on with donato i just see alot of smaller wings all roughly the same age pastrnak, donato, heinen, debrusk, senyshyn, and bjork at the top of the list... and i fear we will end up only having jobs for around 3 of them

Theres a similar problem at center with federic, jfk, and studnicka

And one at lhs dman

I would have liked to move one of these kids instead of the first if possible

Bjorks injury and donato not turning pro prob got in the way of that though

At least for now

If sweeney can trade us back into first round this summer he deserves a+

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Gets a B from me....

LOVE the Nash move....
Added dHOLDEN for depth......This is my problem. We needed a PHYSICAL stay at home guy. Unless we have an injury the depth wont mean much.....Especially with Carlo experiencing growing pains and inconsistency.
Added Toughness....I like the Wingels move a lot....
Dumped some salary and upgraded the 3rd rounder he traded for Holden. Good move.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A

I wanted Nash, I wanted Wingels and I wanted a proven LHD. Donny got it done while (sort of) getting rid of Beleskey as well. Don’t think I’ll miss any of the outgoing players and while it hurts a bit to lose so many picks the cupboards are still very well stocked.

I’m happy and I must say a little bit surprised at how well we did as I expected less action.

Honestly, Im surprised too. Pleasantly surprised.
I was preparing myself for ‘trades are hard, prices are high’.
Seems thats out in Alberta

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Easy A for me.

Imagine not trading for Nash and watching the Lightning improve?

Nash gives the Bruins their first legit second line since 2013z. Matchup nightmare

Wingels, great pick up. Will provide some moxie.

Holden can be a good bottom pair guy it called upon.

Vatrano for third is grand larceny considering we lose him on waivers easily.

Gionta will be a good locker room guy and really help "coach" in practice. Loved by anyone who has played with him.

We are significantly better and made it out of the deadline with JDB, Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik, Frederic, Senyshyn JFK, Zboril, Vaak and Lauzon intact.

I'll take it.

Last edited:

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Probably like a B

I like the Nash deal, maybe a slight overpayment but Nash is a better player than Spooner and a much better fit on the Krejci line IMO. Holden and Vatrano deals are a wash, but overall a slight positive as we improved our D depth and moved a player who seemed to be on the outs anyways. Wingels for a 5th is an obvious win.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He picked up:

a top 6 winger

Depth on D and balanced out both sides

Depth and character on bottom 6 forwards

Saved a year and the rest of Beleskey contract for this year

Did not move any of the top 8 prospects in the system

Creates depth and competition and reacted quickly to a disturbing complacent trend the past week

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I said B+

My first thought was to hate the Nash deal mainly blinded by my love of Lindgren. But I think looking at it now it was the right and best move. I would of loved Hoffman or Stone but they didn’t move so maybe Ottawa truly wanted to keep them. Nash is a better fit than Spooner in that role and to dump half of Beleskey’s deal is better than a buyout. If Nash plays well I could see him back at the right price. Losing a first sucks but I think they finally pick McQuaid or Miller and trade the other for a 3rd. A second and 2 3rds Sweeney can do some damage drafting. Solid getting a 3rd for Vatrano.

Holden I like as a depth piece. Gave up maybe a tad more than I like for a guy who might not play much but after last years playoffs better safe than sorry.

Wingels I like. Solid bottom 6 guy. People will love him. But his acquisition makes me question the Gionta signing more.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

I agree that I'm sick of renting guys. We have thrown so many picks and players away. Solve the issue. No more band-aids.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
A from me. Nash was the number one player I wanted them to get. Wanted them to part ways with Spooner whom I don't trust going into the playoffs. Like the Wingels pick-up. And Holden. As depth is really valuable. I actually even liked the Gionta signing as it just shows a bit of respect.

Playoffs are tough but even if they're out in the first round... I for one won't hold these moves against Sweeney. He did near everything I wanted him to.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
feb 1st:.....Sweeney doesn't have the balls to make a hockey trade and trade one of his "kids"

Feb 25th:...... omfg Sweeney what are you doing trading a 1st and kid for a rental? I don't care if that rental makes us legit Stanley Cup contenders!!!!
Ha - last February the Sweeney thread was blow it up

The best though was sitting on Marchand had already signed information for a week but getting to read the hysteria here he wouldn't or if he did he'd Break the bank after his starring role on Team Canada

Then of course when he took a below market deal it wasn't Sweeney it was Marchand wanted to stay so bad

This place is so entertaining

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's well above average. I was generous with an A-.

Really think Wingels will be what we want Acciari to be.

Nash SHOULD be very good in a secondary role. Just need to sign him and not lose that asset unless he turns into Jagr.

Vatrano deal as pointed out was good for both parties.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Went B+.

Think he learned from mistakes last year and added solid depth for a deep run.

He gets an A+ if instead of Nash he went all in on a McDonagh/JT Miller trade for similar value to what TB gave up. I think that gives us a better shot at winning the cup then what we did but who knows how the conversation went.

Gonna be a tough couple of months coming up. Should be interesting to see how the team handles it and how the board reacts lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad