Boston Bruins Grading Sweeney and the Bruins on their deadline moves

How do you grade Sweeney on his 2018 trade deadline?

• Total voters

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He picked up:

a top 6 winger

Depth on D and balanced out both sides

Depth and character on bottom 6 forwards

Saved a year and the rest of Beleskey contract for this year

Did not move any of the top 8 prospects in the system

Creates depth and competition and reacted quickly to a disturbing complacent trend the past week

Good call on the complacency. Maybe it was the end of the trip but the team may have been enjoying reading their press clippings.

Bruins have two guys third line who can fill in top 6 in case of injury in Heinen and Backes and we haven't had that since Peverley and rookie Seguin.

Our 4th pair of golden-McQuaid would be a lot of other teams 3rd pair.

Best back up goalie in the game

Two subs in Gionta and Wingels who will bust it every shift if called upon. Kuraly and Acciari both proved last playoffs if pressed they can hold down some 3rd line time. Cehlarik in Providence is a nice insurance ce policy as well.

This group was definitely worth getting a rental for...they deserve it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good call on the complacency. Maybe it was the end of the trip but the team may have been enjoying reading their press clippings.

Bruins have two guys third line who can fill in top 6 in case of injury in Heinen and Backes and we haven't had that since Peverley and rookie Seguin.

Our 4th pair of golden-McQuaid would be a lot of other teams 3rd pair.

Best back up goalie in the game

Two subs in Gionta and Wingels who will bust it every shift if called upon. Kuraly and Acciari both proved last playoffs if pressed they can hold down some 3rd line time. Cehlarik in Providence is a nice insurance ce policy as well.

This group was definitely worth getting a rental for...they deserve it.
Beating Toronto who picked up Krejci nemesis is going to be tough

Where the heck are the 2016-17 Sens When we need them

Reactions: trenton1

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
B- for me. Wingels is a good depth add. Holden is a good depth add. Gionta, come on, give me a break -- was looking for something better as a depth add than him.

As for Nash, I feel like he is overrated and a playoff under-performer. The idea that he is some kind of sniper hasn't proven true for the past several years. He has had finish-itis something awful. He has also missed quite a few games since that 2014-15 season (22, 15, 21). It scares me, rationally or not, that he has missed none this year so far, so it almost seems as if he is due. Here's to good health, Rick! My biggest question mark is that he truly has been a subpar playoff player. His shooting percentage in his career in the playoffs is a pitiful 5.7%, half of his normal pct. I like his size and his willingness to get dirty and work for goals around the net with that reach. His game has changed in that regard as he has aged. I don't have a problem with what the Bs gave up, rather I have a problem that they gave that up for a Nash rental. I very much hope he proves me wrong and meshes well with Krejci without making that line too slow and has a huge playoffs. I'll be rooting hard for him, but I guess I am somewhat skeptical at the moment. It seems like Sweeney is rolling the dice and hoping some kind of chemistry thing will jump start Nash and bring him back to a bit of former glory. Will it work out that way? Sure hope so.

On the plus side, DS did what I was hoping he would do in terms of not trading away key youth. He is primarily sticking with what got the Bs to this point, and will be giving these kids valuable playoff experience. Good on him. In summary, DS added a couple decent depth pieces, kept the main youth in the system, but is taking a pretty big gamble on Nash for the reasons I previously mentioned. This team is still in a position to make a deep run if they can avoid key injuries and the team D can get back to where it was.

Reactions: minpind

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
B+.

I’m warming up to Nash and if they can re-sign him to a decent deal then this is grade goes to an A.

I like Wingels a lot and think he’s an upgrade from Acciari especially for the playoffs.

Gionta is a depth guy and nothing more.

Holden is a bit of a wildcard but if our young D struggle he can step right in and right the ship.

Definitely his best deadline so far.

Reactions: Bergyesque

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I give him a B+
Love Nash addition and he provides scoring and help for Krecji

Wengels I like because he is non stop and drives other teams d men foolish and can play pk and puts pressure on others to play well or sit.

Gionta I just do not know.Need a look at him
Holden to me is wildcard and goes to reason I give Sweeney a B+ and not an A. I do not like Carlo in top 4 yet.But if Holden can nail down that 2nd pairing spot it's an A.Need to see him play as well before I can give an opinion on him.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
B-

I would have rather picked up Vanek for little, than giving up a lot more to acquire Nash. I wanted Spooner dealt, but would've rather seen another deal involving him and the first pick.

Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh are stacked high.

I hope Nash gels with DK46 and we go far, but...

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
I went with a solid B.

I don't have much of an opinion on Holden, but he sounds like he was in a similar situation as Kevan Miller 2 years ago when he was playing with Chara way too high up the roster. Once Carlo stepped in and Miller could mange the third line, he found his game and his confidence grew dramatically. I'm hoping we'll see something similar with Holden, but at the worst he's a step above Postma and pure defensive depth. I don't think O'Gara had a spot here, happy to swap him out with a veteran with more experience. I thought the 3rd was a little pricy, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Especially since we got a higher third on a player I thought we'd lose to waivers. I think Vatrano has plenty of upside but wasn't going to get many more chances here. Getting a third for him is pretty shrewd, I think both teams will be happy with this in the end. So maybe he won't be a goal per game in the NHL, but he should be a decent 3rd/4th line scoring winger.

I really like the Nash trade. Exactly the kind of winger Krejci loves, good leader, seems like the type of player Debrusk should model himself after hopefully he'll look to him as a mentor. He looked fantastic in the Buffalo game despite the score, drawing penalties, hardnosed defense, good scoring chances. All over the ice. The one thing that worries me is Rangers fans saying they've seen many similar performances but he has trouble finishing, but I am hopeful that playing with significantly better linemates will help him out.

I'm really happy they were able to move out Beleskey, even at 50%. I think retaining is the one part of the trade I don't love, but if that's the difference between Lindgren and Zboril/Vaakanainen/Frederic, I will eat that salary every day. Lindgren is a solid prospect, but he didn't impress much at WJCs and seemed to be moving down USAs depth chart, type of prospect I have no issue giving up. I liked Spooner more than most going into this season, and he impressed in his new role, but Nash is a significant upgrade for a host of reasons, and I don't think Spooner had much of a future here if the organization didn't think he could be a center. the late 1st and 7th is a fair addon for Nash and the cap space.

I don't know much of anything about Wingels, from what I've read, meh. I kinda would rather hold onto the pick, but I see the reasoning. If he fits on the fourth line, I love it. If he is the 13th forward, sure. If he stops Gionta from ever getting on the ice, the trade is worth it.

After writing all that, the moves were pretty good in general. I'd probably change my vote to a B+/A-. We're a better team than we were Friday and didn't have to give up much that didn't already have one foot out the door.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Targetted the best available rental depth LD - Holden - Got him

Targetted the best available rental scoring RW - Nash - Got him

Targetted a 4th line physical depth RW - Wingels - Got him

Got rid of half of Beleskey's contract, which will be even better for the Bruins if the Rangers buy him out, very likely.

And did it without mortgaging the future. The young players he traded likely didn't have much of a future in Boston (O'Gara, Vatrano) after being passed by other players at the same positions. Moved a young prospect in Lindgren, but considering he has the lowest upside and is likely the furthest away from NHL duty of his stockpile of young LD, I'm not broken up over moving Lindgren.

He traded their 1st rounder. But for a team that had multiple 1st and 2nd round picks the last 3 drafts, not to mention what appears to be quite a haul from the 2014 draft, they can afford to move that pick.

Overall grade for me is an A-

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A+

This core has 2 years left, max. Everyone is healthy right now so this could be the best shot for awhile.

Nash is the guy I've been saying I wanted for weeks. He's a perfect fit on this team in every way and the best forward available at the deadline. He also came cheaper than I expected with none of the top prospects gone.

Add in a good depth defenseman and a bottom six forward and we're set.

Only thing I don't like is giving up on Vatrano but I understand it.

Reactions: b in vancouver

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins lost a lot of puck battles on this road trip - that's a recipe to lose

The depth should address fatigue and injuries and send a message

Nash is a puck possession player the other two will hunt pucks and put pressure on the opponent and their own teammates

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Masterful performance handling the cap (credit Evan Gold)

Room to sign Donato to a max ELC

Enough room to cover Charlie McAvoy's expected $500,000 in bonuses

Enough room to cover Jake DeBrusk's $400,000 in bonuses should he attain them all.

Doubt Carlo gets his $107,500 in bonuses and Bjork won't get his $212,500.

Looking like no carry-over to next season.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Enough room to cover Jake DeBrusk's $400,000 in bonuses should he attain them all.

So not an F-? :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Thanks Dom.
I hope everybody reads this. So many throw out didnt we do this or that without ever giving pause to cap, bonuses, roster limits, etc...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you like Nash and only grade the trade in terms of alue, it's a C-. He didn't overpay, but he didn't fleece Gorton either. It would have been better for us had the Rangers swallowed all of Beleskeys-contract.

The other deals were perfectly fine, cannot complain.

I also like that he didn't feel the need to top Tampas package for McD. Don't think he was the missing piece.

But on the other hand, Nash feels like a "win now" move" when there are clearly teams who are stronger on paper and easily more favored (Pitts, Tampa with Toronto and Caps being at least on par). If I'm honest, I wouldn't have made that Nash trade. He didn't give up the world, but he could have used that 1st for some other value on draft day.

Only one problem with your reasoning. When Sweeney made the move for Nash, only PIT had already made their move. One could argue that PIT and BOS, by getting ahead of the curve, forced the hands of TOR, NJ, CBJ, and Tampa.

After the Bolts went all in on McD, was Sweeney supposed to ask the Rangers for a “do-over”? :laugh:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

We should send this to the idiots at 98.5 and 93.7

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
For some reason I can't "like" this post, but I want to.

First round picks for two months of an over-the-hill vet is beyond stupid. It will look 100 times worse when we get bounced in the first round. You're right that he would have reached on the pick anyways.

They’ve pick 6 times in the first round the last 3 drafts. They could afford to give one away for a legit upgrade at forward.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Ha - last February the Sweeney thread was blow it up

The best though was sitting on Marchand had already signed information for a week but getting to read the hysteria here he wouldn't or if he did he'd Break the bank after his starring role on Team Canada

Then of course when he took a below market deal it wasn't Sweeney it was Marchand wanted to stay so bad

This place is so entertaining

Ha! I had a feeling that was the case, I shoulda pm'ed you to confirm :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad