Grade the Trade Deadline

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Pretty close to an A, wish we got Tanev with the Montreal pick but cognizant of the fact we could have been on his no trade list. Pionk is going to annoy me playing in crucial situations in the playoffs.

Reactions: Finster8 and hn777

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Both those team and Dallas will be absolute daggers to draw in round one. Gotta finish first in the division.

Vegas is currently a wild card team. First in the division could mean playing them in round 1. Complete with their $100M roster, and all the players that magically heal come playoff time. Not sure which of the possible first round opponents is worse. All of them will be tough.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
IF Bones can resist his own habits, this team can run 3 pretty lethal scoring lines and one heavy shut down line that shows they can score too.

I'm fine with Appleton on that third because he does seem to have some positive vibes with them, and I think other than that line with the talent we have I can't even see him fitting in anywhere else.

The fact that we upgraded all our needs and didn't mortgage our future is really great.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Honest question what sports do they load up at a deadline to switch up your team and “go for it”?

NFL (nope)
Baseball (?)
NBA (?)
Football (?)
Basketball (?)

I am not a big fan of the concept especially in junior hockey where it can be so extreme I think it taints the sport.

However I am on an island on this one. As for what Chevy did this deadline

A+ if they win the Cup F if we don’t. If he can secure any of the rental assets after this season then I would modify my grade but as it stands they are rentals with only one purpose in my view. We have given up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hopefully another 3rd so for the most part one draft class for this shot at the cup. For a city that can never afford a rebuild it’s expensive.

I get why Chevy is playing the game. If you’re going to invest to hopefully increase your odds to win, this is the year. IMO this is one of only three seasons we have had a chance.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honest question what sports do they load up at a deadline to switch up your team and “go for it”?

NFL (nope)
Baseball (?)
NBA (?)
Football (?)
Basketball (?)

I am not a big fan of the concept especially in junior hockey where it can be so extreme I think it taints the sport.

A+ if the win the Cup F if we don’t. If he can secure any of the rental assets after this season then I would modify my grade but as it stands they are rentals with only one purpose in my view. We have given up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hopefully another 3rd so for the most part one draft class for this shot at the cup. For a city can can never afford a rebuild it’s expensive.

I get why Chevy is playing the game. If you’re going to invest to hopefully increase your odds to win, this is the year. IMO this is one of only three seasons we have had a chance.
I think baseball is another sport where it is common for teams ro load up for a run

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I take it you don't buy into the argument of of balancing out the top 2 lines to have possession drivers on both?
The problem is that there's only one possession driver on the Jets and it's Ehlers and he's on the 2nd line which reduces his overall possession driving impact.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IF Bones can resist his own habits, this team can run 3 pretty lethal scoring lines and one heavy shut down line that shows they can score too.

I'm fine with Appleton on that third because he does seem to have some positive vibes with them, and I think other than that line with the talent we have I can't even see him fitting in anywhere else.

The fact that we upgraded all our needs and didn't mortgage our future is really great.
So are we sure the collective wisdom of HF Jets fans would set a better lineup? My experience around here is the more you try to balance out the lines the more people become upset because of player usage.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So are we sure the collective wisdom of HF Jets fans would set a better lineup? My experience around here is the more you try to balance out the lines the more people become upset because of player usage.
I dint think you'd make everyone happy - all have their faves.

What I can agree on is that id love to see some true experimentation in these last 20. That's how we might really maximize our riches

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pretty close to an A, wish we got Tanev with the Montreal pick but cognizant of the fact we could have been on his no trade list. Pionk is going to annoy me playing in crucial situations in the playoffs.

Pionk has performed pretty well in past PO, notably last year.
Doesn't mean he will next time but he has shown that he can.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I dint think you'd make everyone happy - all have their faves.

What I can agree on is that id love to see some true experimentation in these last 20. That's how we might really maximize our riches
I have a feeling the only true experimentation being on the 4th line, as there are a lot of possible pieces. I think you might see some switching of Vilardi and Tofolli on the 1st and 2nd RW spots. Bones will almost certainly keep Scheifele and Ehlers separated to drive the top 2 lines. I'd try an alternative to Apples on the 3rd, but I think Bones likes his routes and positioning too much to take him off the 3rd. I do like the abundance of forwards to drive internal competition.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

NFL (nope)
Baseball (?)
NBA (?)
Football (?)
Basketball (?)

A+ if the win the Cup F if we don’t. If he can secure any of the rental assets after this season then I would modify my grade but as it stands they are rentals with only one purpose in my view. We have given up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hopefully another 3rd so for the most part one draft class for this shot at the cup. For a city can can never afford a rebuild it’s expensive.

I make it 2 chances. There might have been a 3rd that looked like it from some POV, but it was mirage, a fraud even.

I'm not interested in retaining any of the rentals until I see results.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

NFL (nope)
Baseball (?)
NBA (?)
Football (?)
Basketball (?)

A+ if they win the Cup F if we don’t. If he can secure any of the rental assets after this season then I would modify my grade but as it stands they are rentals with only one purpose in my view. We have given up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hopefully another 3rd so for the most part one draft class for this shot at the cup. For a city that can never afford a rebuild it’s expensive.

Baseball does a fair amount.
I don’t watch anything else aside from the occasional NFL and I know they don’t.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I give Chevy an A. It’s now up to Bones for the deployment.

An interesting part of trade deadline day was Wayne Simmons saying a few seasons ago he waived his NTC with his wife 7 months pregnant to come to Winnipeg. Waived at 2:55 and was traded to the Preds at 2:59. Nice work by Chevy getting the Preds to overpay. Lots of moving parts on these days.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I give Chevy an A. It’s now up to Bones for the deployment.

An interesting part of trade deadline day was Wayne Simmons saying a few seasons ago he waived his NTC with his wife 7 months pregnant to come to Winnipeg. Waived at 2:55 and was traded to the Preds at 2:59. Nice work by Chevy getting the Preds to overpay. Lots of moving parts on these days.
Funny to hear stuff like that... there are plenty of posters on here saying "I wish chevy would do somehing" like he's sitting around twiddling his thumbs

That story plus the one he told about offering 2 1sts for a dman shows that he's always active but sometimes things just don't come together

Reactions: wraithsonwings

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Funny to hear stuff like that... there are plenty of posters on here saying "I wish chevy would do somehing" like he's sitting around twiddling his thumbs

That story plus the one he told about offering 2 1sts for a dman shows that he's always active but sometimes things just don't come together
The overwhelming evidence is the narrative that Chevy twiddles his thumbs has been proven wrong time after time. It is quite the opposite actually. He grinds and grinds until the last minute in pretty much everything he does as a GM.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Regular season id say around a B (Monahan B+, Tofolli C/C-, Miller D/F)
Playoffs through 4gp Miller is an NA, our entire 2nd line decided to celebrate Halloween early as ghosts, so id say Monahan and Tofolli both D or Fs.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad