Grade the Trade Deadline

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
IMO, it was a solid B+. Getting Monahan and Toffoli for only draft picks and not giving up any prospects is solid work (and Colin Miller is good insurance, and maybe helps in being able to see a different look with Pionk as the weakest link on the blueline right now). But should they have given up those pricier assets (draft picks and/or prospects) to get the likes of Chris Tanev or Sean Walker, or try to pull off a move for an RFA like Durzi (because lol, Arizona) or Liljegren (because Leafs apparently value "big, heavy" players now) or Mittelstadt (who I'm honestly bearish on as he's only had one good year versus past few years of looking like a bust)?

Maybe they tried, for all we know. But this year's resulting lineup is a lot better than the 2019-21 years of just shuffling chairs. Now it all depends on if Bowness and the coaching staff have a more open-minded approach to finding natural chemistry and fits in the lineup, instead of forcing 81-55-X and never changing 62-17-22.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
A+

Kevin Cheveldayoff did the damn thing.

I don't think I've ever been this pumped up after a trade deadline. Enjoying the moment.

NHL GM's post trade deadline after dealing with The Dancing Man

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I dunno. From a process standpoint he did the right things here. He's taken a pretty good swing.
Yeah, I meant that sort of tongue in cheek.

Any controversy or difference in opinion is mostly between whether a draft and develop team should ever take a pretty good swing, or hoard their futures regardless of the situation. But I would agree with you, when the time is right, step up to the plate. I think the time is right, and the additions, and cost of those additions, look pretty good to me.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not sure what Chevy could have done better. Filled every gap with solid pieces while still holding on to the MTL 2nd, which is our defacto 1st this year

Once Lindholm was dealt, Monahan was the best C option available - Chevy got him

We needed a scoring RW - Toffoli was arguably the best option there as well - Chevy nabbed him

Needed help on the right dmsode on the blueline. Missed on Tanev (potentially due to NTC) but Chevy deserves credit for NOT getting Dumba and then securing Miller

On top of the on ice fits, it sounds like these guys are all quality humans and good teammates

Overall....

1000025990.gif

A.

Up to Bowness to get over his prejudices now if things aren't going right.
Now who's trolling lol

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I expected the Jets to get more players on LTIR until Game 1 of the playoffs followed by adding more players.

That's the way the game is played now, right?

Seriously though, did pretty well overall.

Oh, almost forgot: F*** those f****** cheating Vegas org.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
That's an A from me.

Picked up Monahan early to get acclimated with the team... a move I was not a fan of at the time. I've come around a bit, though. The guy knows how to score.

Shored up some middle 6 RW scoring and 3rd pair RHD with a Toffoli/Miller and didn't even have to give up the MTL 2nd.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
A+
I'm not sure he could have done much better considering what we gave up -
Two guys for the right side where we were shallow -
Solidified the second line and added some depth on D (that could be more than depth).
Well done IMO

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'll give it a B. Both guys seems good, and the Jets didn't give much up. But I was kinda hoping to see Heinola given a look, and Perfetti given some more top 6 time again. That's ok, and if the team is struggling or has injuries that is still an option. Having the depth is good.

Nice seeing the positivity on HF Jets today

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, I meant that sort of tongue in cheek.

Any controversy or difference in opinion is mostly between whether a draft and develop team should ever take a pretty good swing, or hoard their futures regardless of the situation. But I would agree with you, when the time is right, step up to the plate. I think the time is right, and the additions, and cost of those additions, look pretty good to me.
We've seen how fleeting these opportunities to contend can be. Strike while the iron is hot! Fortune favors the bold! Carpe diem!

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
You also have to throw in all the NTC'S & MNC'S and the fact that Winnipeg is a really tough sell for many players and Chevy on paper at least did an awesome job. His last 12 months have been magical.

Really happy we got Monahan instead of Lindholm. Chevy wasted no time getting Monohan once Lindholm was moved.

And today with Toffifee who I believe was linked to many teams but Chevy won out.

Miller no the best D man available by a long shot but as mentioned we paid so little to get him.

A+ and really for me it's not dependant on how far we go in the playoffs. Chevy did his part, now Bowness and the players have to do theirs.

Very good TDL, not sure what else he could have realistically done. Jets might of had the best TDL in the NHL or close to it
All done without cheating as well. If the Jets win the Cup their will be no asterisk by the team name.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
A.

Scheifele, Helle, Lowry, Nino, Names, Dillon all over 30. Connor has 2 years left, Ehlers has 1 more. Top 5 team in the league in early March. If we weren't going to take a swing now, when??

Picked up the best C available and the best RW available (or maybe 2nd best) to fill actual holes. Miller could force Pionk and Schmidt to fight it out on our 3rd pair and provides insurance against Stanley seeing a playoff game.

We could go on a huge run or lose out early. Still need a lot of things to go right. But we put ourselves in the best position without giving up premium assets and thats all you can ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad