Management Grade the deadline & Sweeney's moves/non moves

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I gave Don an F at the deadline and if I could go lower, I would. He deserves a Z or something. Horrible asset management when it's clear to everyone even on this board that they had no shot, play-offs or not. I'm really worried we're going to fall into that area where we're just good enough to not be bad. We keep trying to put band aids over our holes instead of permanent fixes.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
B. Stempniak is a terrific addition. Liles is just depth, but we gave up nothing of importance. I also expect guys like KoKo/Griffith/etc will be traded at the draft... Tack on a couple of future 2nds and 3rds, maybe. If he can re-sign Loui to a reasonable deal I'll give him an A.

That being said... If we don't make the playoffs this falls to an F. But I love the look of our forward group right now. The best move Sweeney made was not overpaying on Russel

What I said after the deadline.. So.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
In the last 2 years we have traded at TD ,

3 2nd's
1 3rd
1 4th
1 5th

What do we have to show for it,

2nd consecutive season we don't make the PO's
Brett Connolly

Add in:

3 2nd's
2 3rds- Rinaldo trade
1 4th
1 5th
1 6th for Talbot

Hayes from the Smith trade

Yuk.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hamilton trade - as of now D

Lucic trade - A

Draft - C - (other than Shenyshyn not excited about the 2 other 1st picks. Good picks in the 2nd and Gabrielle). Really sad Barzal and Connor were skipped on. Right in front of our face

Trade deadline - C+ . Just couldn't get what he was looking for , for Eriksson. Can't really blame to keep for an attempt to make the playoffs. I doubt he will be back next season. Stempniak and Liles were pretty good pickups. They made an impact from day 1. But in the end meant little as the team didn't make the playoffs and gave up valuable picks

Keeping Julien - D - It was time to rebuild by hiring a new coach. Failed.

Overall grade - C - . He will get one more chance, but along with Neely this might be it

He needs to do some drastic changes

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Add in:

3 2nd's
2 3rds- Rinaldo trade
1 4th
1 5th
1 6th for Talbot

Hayes from the Smith trade

Yuk.

Has any team in the league thrown away precious draft capital in exchange for absolutely nothing over the past 2 years as this team has done?

Feckin disgraceful. And whoever suggested Rinaldo for a 3rd (!?!) should be fired.

Last edited:

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
don;t forget one thing folks. Don Sweeney drafted his nephew mitch dempsey who couldn't play hockey in a beer league let alone junior hockey, and don sweeney drafted him or influenced the team to draft him and you are counting on this man to be a general manager of an nhl hockey team. Good luck bruins fans, you are in for a long frustrating ride.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
don;t forget one thing folks. Don Sweeney drafted his nephew mitch dempsey who couldn't play hockey in a beer league let alone junior hockey, and don sweeney drafted him or influenced the team to draft him and you are counting on this man to be a general manager of an nhl hockey team. Good luck bruins fans, you are in for a long frustrating ride.

Thanks for that depressing factoid.

Taking care of your own ahead of taking care of the team…it's called Ruins.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
Maybe Dempsey will become our version of Mike Piazza. :dunno:

Hah.

Today in fact the Yankees released Jaron Long, their now ex hitting coach's kid. Though I don't remember if he way a draft pick or just a FA. There was a write up somewhere on the Yankees waste of picks on legacy kids last year.

As far as as the Bruins doing it, is there a puking emoticon?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Love to know who you thought Chia missed out on with that 7th round pick.

****ing Sweeney! :rant:

:laugh:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What I wrote on the original "grading" thread after the deadline. I wasn't a fan of our deadline moves at all, but even the bad grade I gave, and my criticisms, assumed we'd make the playoffs. To say it is "hugely woeful" or a "small disaster", in light of the fact we've missed, does not really capture the sentiment.

Loui should have been signed or traded. He wasn't. This was a short sighted and bad asset management.

Given that this team is obviously not a Cup contender, I'm not even a fan of the pickups of Stempniak and Liles.

Why? Because one the of few meager bonuses of retaining Loui (and losing him eventually to UFA), I suppose, is that we'd make the playoffs and give our young players some essential playoff experience.

Now that isn't even a benefit, because Liles will likely now displace C. Miller and/or Morrow at D. And Stempniak will displace Connolly and/or Pasta.

Yes, Stempniak is better than Connolly and Liles marginally improves our D group. I get that.

But I'd honestly prefer to give our young players much needed playoff experience than employing two journeymen living out of their suitcases, especially as neither change the reality that we are not a Cup threat/contender.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
AOF, I'm confused. You're "wowed" by the deadline moves in what way? "Wowed" by how poor they were? Or wowed by how grand/great they were?

sorry i dont proofread enough before i hit send. for the record i was not wowed. i was expecting to not be wowed so i cant cruxify sweeny for meeting my expectations. all these ' f' grades are so unfair imo because it seems to suggest that it would have been easy to do better.

schools often grade on a curve because achieving excellence isnt easy. its much easier to be a 'c' or 'b' student. thats why i gave sweeny a b-

he met my expectations.

the team did not. i see a post today saying we were the worst team in nhl the last 12 games. i wouldnt be surprised if we were last year too.

when a team collapses it not on a first year gm trade deadline performance. a collapse speaks to leadership and buyin. its a comment on the players and the coaching.

i think we have a good coach and good players but clearly they no longer make for a good team. sweeny was NEVER going to trade eriksson for picks while we were in a playoff position. we missed playoffs in final game so we were in position. we have no reasonable right to be angry with sweeny about this. blame the system if you must but sweeny cant break cardinal rules. he does have owners to please.

the deadline was what i said it would be... a couple bandaids. the resulting performance of the team disapointed me. now sweeny has a much more important task facing him. the moves he makes or doesnt make this summer can effect us for the next 4-5 years.

i liked what he did last offseason even if i wished hamilton could have been salvaged. this year im needing to see a rebuild with some vets being moved. and next year im needing to see a top 10 pick. it wont be popular to trade fan favorites but sweeny already dealt 2 of them so i think hes up to the task

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sweeney moves/non-move were mind boggling on deadline day, looks even worse now.

I'll stick with my F-.

Team is in playoff contention (unexpectedly).

I would guess that JJ wanted to make the playoffs?

So, Sweeney tried to deal Loui for Shatt, but Armstrong vetoes it.

Instead he keeps Loui, adds Stemp and Liles at the cost of a few picks (some of which can be recouped at the Draft by trading Loui's rights.

And that's mind boggling?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Instead he keeps Loui, adds Stemp and Liles at the cost of a few picks (some of which can be recouped at the Draft by trading Loui's rights.

Poor utilization of the crystal ball by Sweeney.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Has any team in the league thrown away precious draft capital in exchange for absolutely nothing over the past 2 years as this team has done?

Feckin disgraceful. And whoever suggested Rinaldo for a 3rd (!?!) should be fired.

Agree on all points. It's indeed disgraceful how many picks they have totally thrown away. Looking incompetent at this point.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Is that confirmed, Glory?

As in, is this what Sweeney tried to do, at the behest of JJ?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Poor utilization of the crystal ball by Sweeney.

Problem is that he didn't need a crystal ball. Whenever you are making trades "just to get in" stop. This team wasn't built for a Cup so why throw good money after bad? Now the double whammy of not getting in. Sweeney better show his face soon and face the music because this team is in a bad way right now.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
At the deadline I gave him a C+. He didn't a top 4 D that would have set the Bruins apart for the rest of the Atlantic, but Stepmiak and Liles where upgrades at their respective positions. He didn't trade Ericksson, which I was happy with because I honestly thought this was a playoff team.

Of course now with the benefit of hindsight he fails. He got nothing for Ericksson who is going to walk for nothing. He trade assets for rentals. It blew up in his face

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad