Management Grade the deadline & Sweeney's moves/non moves

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
So all of the good things were due to Sweeney, but none of the bad things. I love it.

This is a thread about deadlines move. If you want to tell me Stempniak and Liles are why the team imploded then go ahead.

The problem was the players already here mailing it in when they needed to win.

BostonBeatdown

May 3, 2007
Hartford
Don't like being the I told you so kind of guy, but I said the deadline was an F right away.

No conditions. The fact that Sweeney couldn't evaluate the team and realize they weren't making the playoffs with or without additions is the scariest thing about it.

It's a joke. F. F. F. Unbelievably bad. Hell I even tried to give him a Z.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=114710975&postcount=59

I was for trading Loui because I don't think he is worth the money he will get as a free agent. But the team came very close, so I don't know that it's "scary" that he thought Bruins might make playoffs.

I gave a C, at least we didn't give up a 1st on a rental D man or something. The additions seemed like they may have pushed us into the playoffs at the time.

I just hope the Bruins don't give Loui or Krug big money to resign. Both don't fit the Bruins identity and will be overpaid by someone. Hope it's not the Bruins.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
This is a thread about deadlines move. If you want to tell me Stempniak and Liles are why the team imploded then go ahead.

The problem was the players already here mailing it in when they needed to win.

The trades themselves weren't bad. The plan and direction was bad.

F

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Management has no direction, or was misdirected by the Bruins mid-season surge.

We trade Milan Lucic and Dougie Hamilton, we were heading towards a rebuild on the fly.

Deadline proved they we steered a different direction. Liles? Stempniak? Sure, they would have been GREAT additions to our team 3-5 years ago. But this team needs an influx of NHL ready youth (or by giving our guys the experience). We kept Loui, either overplayed our bluff or just didn't get the offers.

The fact that Kevan Miller, McQuaid, and Trotman all spent time on our top pair for extended periods of this year is frickin' infuriating. I'd rather see a young defenseman struggle there, instead of watching a bottom pair journeyman waste the spot.

So because they spent a few picks on Liles and Stempniak management has suddenly steered in a different direction? More like the team overachieved and was in a position to make the playoffs, something I don't think the FO expected going into the season, regardless of what they said publicly. So, they added a couple of veteran players to try to help the team. Both are UFA's and likely won't be back next season.

I would have liked to have seen the B's sell at the TDL, but it wasn't very realistic given where they were at the time. Going in a "different direction" would have been signing older veterans with term on their contracts to make a legit run at the Cup.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
sucked how things ended... still now wowed by the deadline moves themselves but i still support the plan and direction.

there are no guarantees but this team was in the hunt right up to game 82. trading off an ufa out of fear of losing them in return for futures would have been totally against acceptable protocol for any team in the playoff hunt

sweeny did enough last off season to give me hope this off season will be good too , but the deadline got a b- from me cause i just could never get on board with stempniak or liles being anything more than bandaids.

now our 2nd collapse in row during stretch time shows us the leadership core of this team is fractured. time to shop our valuable pieces and do a complete rebuild while our valuable pieces still have value.

my vote says bergeron is an untouchable to maintain a tie to the past... everyone else has to be in play. marchand is great but by the time we are contenders again his peak will be done. chara might refuse to waive but if hes willing to move we should move him. rask is young enough to stay but for the right offer id move him too cause things are bound to get ugly the next 3-4 seasons

i thank this team for the last decade of happy memories but today marks the end of the era

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Troll

They could try and bring back Knight to lead the B's back to the playoffs :laugh:

they could have made the playoffs last year but Lucic went the first half dozen or so games without points and then in an interview in Montreal by his locker admitted he wasnt into it, not engaged.

Maybe if the 6 M dollar man had been engaged those first two weeks or the entire year they would have gotten 1 more point and made the playoffs

your dead to me

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
You never buy with no legit chance at Cup. Complete Fail.
Yep, F for complete Fail is my grade too; but as was suggested, Jerry & Thanksdad Charlie probably saw visions of home PO dates dancing in their heads, so they might've told Cam to tell Sweeney that he can buy if he so chooses,
and Sweeney chose to buy. Bad choice.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yep, F for complete Fail is my grade too; but as was suggested, Jerry & Thanksdad Charlie probably saw visions of home PO dates dancing in their heads, so they might've told Cam to tell Sweeney that he can buy if he so chooses,

I don't think they gave Sweeney the choice in the matter.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When you add meh players, to a meh team, you still have a meh team. Big F from me.

Go big or go home.

If we couldn't get the big fish, nobody wants the little ones ............especially if they get away after all.

Stone Roses

Dec 27, 2009
I don't think they gave Sweeney the choice in the matter.

I never get this. So many people here blame all the bad things on Chiarelli. But everything doubtful Sweeney makes he is forced to do or has inherited or [other excuse].

It is to early to judge Sweeney. But the defence he gets for almost everything he does from some writers here is absurd.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

It wasn't a choice.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never get this. So many people here blame all the bad things on Chiarelli. But everything doubtful Sweeney makes he is forced to do or has inherited or [other excuse].

It is to early to judge Sweeney. But the defence he gets for almost everything he does from some writers here is absurd.

Do you understand he's been on the job for 10 months? What are you going to do with the NMC? You can't fix a team in cap trouble in a year. Takes time.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
When you add meh players, to a meh team, you still have a meh team. Big F from me.

Go big or go home.

If we couldn't get the big fish, nobody wants the little ones ............especially if they get away after all.

Ah the Trade Deadlinr thread.

"Hello darkness my old friend..."

Still stings. Still an F. Still confused, frustrated, and appalled today as I was then.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This team had the talent to beat Ottawa yesterday and to match up against any team in the east but Washington. The deadline gets a B-/C+. B for the talent filling the needs (top six wing and top 4 D) and then a drop off for the price which IMO was higher than it probably needed to be.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I am scared to see who will be the Rinaldo, Irwin, Kemoananen, McQuaid type of moves of this off-season. I am expecting Pastrnak for Griffin Reinhart and Killer Miller extended for 6 years.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Well, they missed the playoffs. Whatever grade I gave him at the deadline automatically changes to an F.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
In the last 2 years we have traded at TD ,

3 2nd's
1 3rd
1 4th
1 5th

What do we have to show for it,

2nd consecutive season we don't make the PO's