Management Grade the deadline & Sweeney's moves/non moves

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
For armchair GM's, this letter is a fascinating read. (warning: link leads directly to a PDF)

It is also 13 pages of relatively dense material, so a quick summary: the link leads to the resignation letter of Sam Hinkie, now-ex GM of the Phllly 76ers. Under Hinkie's leadership, the team won fewer than 20 games for 3 straight years, missing the playoffs each year. By all measures from a fan's perspective, the link above leads to the resignation letter of an abject failure.

However, it is also a rare insight into the mind of a pro-sports General Manager, and the philosophy by which he ran his organization. Hinkie drew inspiration and guidance from sources as diverse as other pro-sports leaders (including Belichick), finance and science. Though his team did not succeed, it was clearly not the result of a lack of planning or intelligence from the front office.

Hinkie's plan required enduring short-term sacrifice for eventual gain. And that probably cost him his job. But his final note to the ownership group was that the team was in better shape to face the future than when he started.

I read it and couldn't help reflecting on the B's, and the general uncertainty over the direction of the team. As you probably know, Don Sweeny worked at Philips Andover Academy prior to re-joining the team. I wonder how that experience (working in an institution with a longer history than the Bs, and one with very different measures of annual success) shaped his approach to the GM job? I suspect it led him to insights different from GMs who've been career hockey guys. I further hope that, as a good Haavahad boy, Sweeny's approach is no less intellectual - or considered - than Hinkie's.

I'm reluctant to give short-term scores or quick judgements to DS's job performance, as the product on the ice is only the tip of the proverbial 'berg. Ultimately, all I know is that this is an interesting time to be a fan... which does not necessarily mean a happy time.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.

thasan

Apr 12, 2016
Stempniak and Liles were both solid additions for a contender - but this team wasn't one.

However, I wonder if Sweeney misjudged their chances or if he was under pressure from ownership to go for it. If he was, then it's hard to fault him for those moves (and keeping Loui).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Problem is that he didn't need a crystal ball. Whenever you are making trades "just to get in" stop. This team wasn't built for a Cup so why throw good money after bad? Now the double whammy of not getting in. Sweeney better show his face soon and face the music because this team is in a bad way right now.

No team in the league operates that way.

Only one team in the league wins the Cup. The attainable goal for most teams is the playoffs. And hockey isn't a rich enough sport for teams to piss away playoff money just because they don't have a great chance to win it all.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Problem is that he didn't need a crystal ball. Whenever you are making trades "just to get in" stop. This team wasn't built for a Cup so why throw good money after bad? Now the double whammy of not getting in. Sweeney better show his face soon and face the music because this team is in a bad way right now.

Pretty much agree 100%.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is that confirmed, Glory?

As in, is this what Sweeney tried to do, at the behest of JJ?

Is what confirmed? That Sweeney tried to deal Loui for Shatt? Don't think that will ever happen, but I was told that was the way it went down by a guy who has "insider" status here, with my apologies to Dreghorn and adding to his frustration.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

As a fan, I agree with this.

No team in the league operates that way.

Only one team in the league wins the Cup. The attainable goal for most teams is the playoffs. And hockey isn't a rich enough sport for teams to piss away playoff money just because they don't have a great chance to win it all.

However, I think this is also true, and probably the more realistic of the two approaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad