Grade The Coyotes Ownership

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why not start a thread on "Grade the market?"

Because the market didn't hire any of thr decision makers in a series of awful decisions that didn't require hindsight to recognize? The market didn't hire a conflict of interest and abandon a sweetheart subsidy. The market didn't lie to the Coyotes. The market didn't incompetank. The market didn't promote and extend Tippett. I'm reasonably certain a successful team would have garnered some market support.

And if the market truly sucks, the market isn't the one that bought a lemonade stand in Siberia. You can never blame a market for a business failure. Your business model sucked and you misevaluated the market. I don't feel sorry for these clowns at all. They've creatively financed their way into half a hockey team for nothing. And they'll cash out big time if they sell and move. Boo hoo.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Look up the attendance numbers for the Yotes while at GRA...
The start of this whole ownership mess killed attendance, and it never recovered. Under no ownership, our attendance started off awful, but got better every year. Under this ownership, attendance has gotten worse, and this year is probably going to be the worst that this group has experienced.

This isn't just about results. The best numbers on this list were from years we finished 13th, 12th, 15th, 12th, and 13th. The lowest numbers were from our three playoff seasons when we had no owner.

Why hasn't this "dedicated" ownership boosted attendance? It's not just because people want to see a winner. Check the Suns attendance. The Suns are awful this season and they average 17k a game.

Current Ownership
16-17:12,792
15-16: 13,433
14-15: 13,345
13-14: 13,775

NHL Ownership
12-13: 13,923
11-12: 12,420
10-11: 12,188
09-10: 11,989

Pre-bankruptcy ******** saga
08-09: 14,875
07-08: 14,820
06-07: 14,988
05-06: 15,582
03-04: 15,467

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Coyotes are only doing 900 more people a night than coming right out of the recession under NHL ownership/constant threat of moving? Amazing.

Maybe the product sucks?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The start of this whole ownership mess killed attendance, and it never recovered. Under no ownership, our attendance started off awful, but got better every year. Under this ownership, attendance has gotten worse, and this year is probably going to be the worst that this group has experienced.

This isn't just about results. The best numbers on this list were from years we finished 13th, 12th, 15th, 12th, and 13th. The lowest numbers were from our three playoff seasons when we had no owner.

Why hasn't this "dedicated" ownership boosted attendance? It's not just because people want to see a winner. Check the Suns attendance. The Suns are awful this season and they average 17k a game.

Current Ownership

NHL Ownership

You do realize that the pre be days numbers are completely unreliable?

Everybody went.... nobody paid.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why not start a thread on "Grade the market?"

Victim blaming. "If you didn't want to be forced into the back of a van at knife point to purchase season tickets, you shouldn't have been wearing that suggestive Coyotes jersey, or been walking around with all those extra entertainment bucks in your pocket". I swear, some of these posts read like a battered spouse with Stockholm syndrome. "You gotta sssstand by your man" she whistled through her broken teeth. There's a difference between loyalty and boot licking. Fan isn't shorthand for sycophant.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Current Ownership

NHL Ownership

The suns have been here for 50 years, are in a great location, and the NBA is a different market. You can get cheap Suns tickets on line for almost any game.

The NHL is still a non traditional sport. People move to Phoenix because they broke traditions, like warm weather and have more options in the winter for entertainment than cold weather cities. There is zero reason to ever go to Glendale for the entire valley except for 8 Sundays a year, agin it is the NFL. 41 NHL games is too much to ask for an out of the way location.

They needed to build the arena or play in the Phoenix/Tempe/scottsdale market and have a winning team to get the fan support they need in the valley. The Coyotes need both to succeed.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I voted D when this poll came out, based on the factor of them keeping the team in Arizona, which they were technically "passing" at the time, but barely so. If we're to continue to draw parallels with the A-F grades like a college class, the Tempe arena proposal falling through is the equivalent of a student with a D in a class bombing an exam to bring their grade down to an F. We are now in finals week and they need an A on the final to pass the class.

Was that too academic? :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Victim blaming.. I swear, some of these posts read like a battered spouse with Stockholm syndrome. "You gotta sssstand by your man" she whistled through her broken teeth. There's a difference between loyalty and boot licking. Fan isn't shorthand for sycophant.

Interesting analogy, not a good one, but interesting

I'd say we're pretty beat up indeed, but it's better than living alone. :laugh:

But then (based on what I read) it's pretty obvious many prefer to play with themselves. :naughty:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
F-

Leblanc was surprised when the city of Glendale cancelled the management deal for the arena
Leblanc was surprised again I just read when ASU dumped the Coyotes

Why was he suprised?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Mr. Leblanc reminds me of one of those guys that spends too much time talking and not enough time listening.

This is the reason God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
F-

Leblanc was surprised when the city of Glendale cancelled the management deal for the arena
Leblanc was surprised again I just read when ASU dumped the Coyotes

Why was he suprised?

Reminds me of my first job as a telemarketer. You could get fired by not using the "no response" on each call (yes they monitored the calls)...

ME: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of [insert crappy charity name here], how are you today
POTENTIAL DONATION GIVER: yeah whadya want?
ME: We are currently [insert spiel for whoever I was calling for--they contracted with charities]... and will mark you down for a $35 donation today
PDG: What? No, f--- you, you piece of s---.
ME: I'm surprised to hear that, would you be interested in donating $15 or $20 to the cause?
PDG: [click]​
At least I did the "No response"

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Reminds me of my first job as a telemarketer. You could get fired by not using the "no response" on each call (yes they monitored the calls)...

ME: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of [insert crappy charity name here], how are you today
POTENTIAL DONATION GIVER: yeah whadya want?
ME: We are currently [insert spiel for whoever I was calling for--they contracted with charities]... and will mark you down for a $35 donation today
PDG: What? No, f--- you, you piece of s---.
ME: I'm surprised to hear that, would you be interested in donating $15 or $20 to the cause?
PDG: [click]​
At least I did the "No response"
You're saying it wasn't self-evident that someone had cursed at you and hung up?

Ownership has had one job to do for four years, and they haven't done it. There's really nothing else to say. The only worse record around right now is Tipp's.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
You're saying it wasn't self-evident that someone had cursed at you and hung up?

Actually, I'm saying it was self-evident that it was a "no" but I still did the "no response" because my employers felt all telemarketers had to do the "no response" unless the person hangs up earlier in the call.

My point was that I wasn't surprised the person was a "no," but I still had to say "I'm surprised to hear that" because it's what was expected by the company. Of course, the company had a pretty high turnover rate largely due to what they called "misconduct" when they fired people ("misconduct" for not doing the "no response").

In other words, LeBlanc's response ("I was surprised") was simply bs for fans and the public (a la scuzzy used car salesman--"I'm surprised that car you bought from us broke down so soon after buying it, but it was sold 'as is.' We do have some other cars if you are interested in buying another from us.")

Okay, slight exaggeration, but hopefully that clarifies the point.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It certainly is puzzling that they could ever be surprised that a subsidy would not pass or that it would spook whatever partner they convince to take them on. The surprising thing would be if they got it passed AND beat the watch dog groups that would go after them in court to stop it. I can't understand how they could be positive about their chances at all. More and more this is all looking like a stall tactic for a move out of state.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thrilled the Clowns are gone.

Very happy Smith is gone.

The Doan thing I'm ambivalent about. It was time to go but if they'd have just traded Smith and fired Tippett, Doan would've quit on his own. That was the correct course.

Tippett hasn't been fired yet. My biggest complaint. Fire that moron right now.

Feb 12, 2003
I feel like the grading resets since it is technically a new group, even though Barroway was the majority owner before, it is clear the direction of the team has changed and the old way of doing things seems to be gone. That said, it is too recent to grade the current ownership group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad