Grade The Coyotes Ownership

zz

Nov 1, 2006
D, mostly because of the Tippett long-term contract.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Even though not announced, I think that there is a big picture plan in place to where in 3 years, we are going to be both a fiscally-responsible and consistent team, which bodes well for the future.

Well, there's optimism, and then there's this statement. :amazed:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I must have missed the part where IA successfully lobbied for the public money they need. :rolleyes:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Well, there's optimism, and then there's this statement. :amazed:

Well, are we not going to be better managed money-wise, since most of the players that we are adding to the talent pool are going to be on ELCs or bridge contracts within 2-3 years?

Some players (Domi + 1 or 2 others) are probably going to have a little more long-term deals ready to go. That will occur as the Smith contract runs out. OEL is the only other player that a big dollar amount will be attached to.

So, yes, in 2-3 years, we should be in a good position financially for our contract situation. At that point, it will be on the team to produce - which, depending on the view of who the coach is, should be at a decent level. Even if Tip gets canned at the end of this year or stays on for the remainder of his contract, we should be coming into our own in 1-2 years on the ice.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, are we not going to be better managed money-wise, since most of the players that we are adding to the talent pool are going to be on ELCs or bridge contracts within 2-3 years?

I don't think anyone knows. Making that assumption presumes that the team will remain static from now until then. The only thing we really know for sure is that the "dead money" we're carrying comes off the books at the end of the season so IN THEORY we'll have a ton of budget room, but given IA's spending history it doesn't necessarily mean anything more than that we'll have a ton of cap room to fill to meet the floor.

Still staying in a roster-only context, it's my estimation that, based on previous spending habits by this owner group, we're still going to have one of the lowest real payrolls in the league. And venturing into the new arena context - even if everything goes 100% right with the legislature, IA is going to have to come up with $200M to go with the $200M in subsidies they're looking for to get the new barn built - which to me means that the purse strings on the roster will remain tight.

Even if Tip gets canned at the end of this year or stays on for the remainder of his contract, we should be coming into our own in 1-2 years on the ice.

Again, there's too much coming up - the trade deadline, the expansion draft, the amateur draft, and free agency that are going to complicate matters, as will Shane Doan's decision on retirement. And that's if the team stays past June, which is certainly nowhere near a sure thing at this juncture.

I don't mind optimism at all, but you're making some assumptions that require a lot of things to be frozen in place over a period of years. I think things are way too fluid all around to be that certain.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't mind optimism at all, but you're making some assumptions that require a lot of things to be frozen in place over a period of years. I think things are way too fluid all around to be that certain.

Crouse
Domi
Duclair
Dvorak
Strome
Chychrun
DeAngelo
Fischer
Perlini

OEL
Smith
Goligoski
Murphy

Well, these are the assets that I would declare to be as close to frozen in place, save for a trade of one of those forwards. Those players in the first group are all on entry level contracts at this point, so we hold all the cards. 2nd group are players with longer term deals. That's 13 out of 20 players on the roster that we pretty much have for the next 3 years. That doesn't include Keller or other players who have not signed an ELC. That also does not include some players like Wood, Bunting, and others who may be shuffled between AHL and NHL in that time.

So I would argue that most of the player assets are frozen, and likely to get better over time. What is not frozen in place is where the team plays and how much of a budget spend we can have. Only budget spend really affects the roster, which is where my optimism of 1-2 years is referring to.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
As a side note, this is why I love how Chayka has addressed rebuilding both roster and prospect pool to work with. For this year, at least, so few players actually need to be exposed. The players that we have to protect will get protected.

I understand the danger of expansion for the next team, b/c at that point, we will have a ridiculous amount of talent that needs to be protected. Hopefully, we can leverage some trade ideas to get the expansion team to take a specific player (which I have full confidence in our management doing).

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Eichel and Matthews would be playing for us today if our owners have went with a real tank.

:laugh:

y'all'll take that belief to your graves...jeez let it go, already

coulda, woulda, shoulda...

didn't

In a way, and nothing personal to Sabres fans, but I kinda hope they fail longer term, just to show some of you that loser strategy is no guarantee.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
F. Words never reflect their actions.

All the talk about adding 10M payroll followed immediately by a scorched earth budget. Rebuild (if you can call it that) ended this past offseason according to LeBlanc. He is the Joe Isuzu of NHL owners. And unfortunately none of the others poke their noses out of the tent. I'd love to see someone quiz Drummond about his going all in prematurely on Tippett, which has been a predictable disaster, but we don't have a real sports media locally and the Coyotes don't matter enough nationally or league-wide to garner more than raised eye brows in real media.

The team is still here, and I think they've made an honest attempt at keeping it here within their means, but their pockets are shallow. These guys are investors, not owners. So A+ on picking up an undervalued asset worth millions for essentially nothing. They've got an open dance card this summer which raises the value even more. It's impressive in its own right, but from a narrower fans perspective, they get an F for lying through their teeth constantly and ultimately for this on ice fiasco led by their hand picked architect.

My evaluation remains unchanged.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Tbh the grade was always based on if they could keep the team here, it's pretty much an F now.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We're sorry.

Sorry for all the slogans and taglines.

Sorry we asked you to "Join the Hunt," "Run with the Pack," and to "Be Coyotes Cool"... especially that one.

Sorry for "Hockey Headquarters," "Together We're Full Strength" and "Not Your Dad's Original Six." We get it.

We're sorry for the insecurity. It's not by choice that we face some new questions and question marks season after season. But hey, it's hard to overcome being the underdog (no pun intended) without some adversity.
But we WILL overcome. We need you to buy in. We need you to see the heart, dedication and sacrifice these players bring to the ice EVERY night. We need you to see our commitment to this community, and to the entire state of Arizona. We're not merely going to promote that we're "Here to Stay." We're going to SHOW you.

We're not going to tell you that we're "One Pack." We're going to show you.

We're not going to tell you its "Hockey the Hard Way." We*are going to show you.

No taglines.
No promises.
No excuses.

Coyotes 2.0

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Easily the worst marketing campaign, I've ever seen by a professional sports team.

Targeted towards literally no one, except a few thousand hardcore fans.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Easily the worst marketing campaign, I've ever seen by a professional sports team.

Appeals to literally no one, except several thousand die hard fans.
It looked like bad marketing then. It's more like open fraud now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We're sorry for the insecurity. It's not by choice that we face some new questions and question marks season after season. But hey, it's hard to overcome being the underdog (no pun intended) without some adversity.
But we WILL overcome. We need you to buy in. We need you to see the heart, dedication and sacrifice these players bring to the ice EVERY night. We need you to see our commitment to this community, and to the entire state of Arizona. We're not merely going to promote that we're "Here to Stay." We're going to SHOW you.

God was that really part of that? How insulting, especially with how the much discussed arena hunt has gone.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Targeted towards literally no one, except a few thousand hardcore fans.

Leblanc was VP of sales at Blackberry (RIM) during the time where they basically failed to take advantage of every step they had ahead of the competition and essentially died on the vine due to zero effort.

Not sure what everyone expected. They are carpetbaggers that got to run a team for a few years on the NHL's LOC.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I was honestly flabbergasted with the marketing campaign this year. A college marketing freshman who shows up to class once a semester could do better.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If this team ever gets marketed to anyone, corporate sponsors or the fans, it will be the first time. The current group's crowning achievement is adding some Canadian coffee stands to the arena. Woohoo!

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Why not start a thread on "Grade the market?"

Please compare our ownership group to the rest of the league.

IA is bush league. They had to secure a high interest loan from an investment firm to even buy the team.

Whereas other teams are owned by billionaire's or sports conglomerates.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Please compare our ownership group to the rest of the league.

We're now on to "blame the customers" for folks that were eager to cheer on IA's clownish behavior. Still in the denial/anger stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad