Grade The Coyotes Ownership

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Fishy that after a major arena announcement, Leblanc delets his Twitter, they secure the owner's box, no town halls, and a complete diminishment of ownership visibility.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Fishy that after a major arena announcement, Leblanc delets his Twitter, they secure the owner's box, no town halls, and a complete diminishment of ownership visibility.

Everyone was warned they would not hear more from them regarding the arena until later this coming spring.

This is going to get real dicey the next 2-3 months in the legislature and anyone who follows the conversations in BoH knows by now Glendale has already fired the first shot with the AZLeg to stop IA from getting the relief they'll be seeking.

Given the team's play so far this year, it isn't to hard to figure out that there's been some rather nasty behavior directed at anyone connected with the team. Dave Tippett's wife had to shut her Twitter account down as well due to the abuse she was getting.

Definitely sucks..... but that's what it is.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
D from me. The first mistake was firing Maloney (although Chayka has done decently), the second was extending/promoting Tippett, 3rd was continued shenanigans with CoG, 4th not backing up their promise to increase roster $, 5th mistake (although not typical of most owners), no public reaction to current on-ice failures.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Throw in the fact that the chances of them getting any public funded money is slim and you have renewed relocation drama. Lovely...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Throw in the fact that the chances of them getting any public funded money is slim and you have renewed relocation drama. Lovely...

If they don't get public money the team is gone. Leblanc made that pretty clear. Barring some kind of debt forgiveness from the league, the team isn't sustainable in Glendale.

With Vegas coming in, the Coyotes could be quietly shuffled off to Quebec without much fuss.

Feb 12, 2003
Keep in mind there is a second round of expansion coming up after Las Vegas enters the league. There is no way that Bettman would allow the Coyotes to flee to Quebec when they could be sold an expansion team instead. I think the Coyotes are safe until the next round of expansion is official and the money is in the bank. Then the Coyotes will be sold to the market that lost out on expansion (Seattle?).

We still have a couple of years for them to tear down the franchise to bare bones loaded with higher end draft picks to make it more attractive for a buyer to come in with a low payroll high asset value team that can splurge in free agency to reach the floor.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Keep in mind there is a second round of expansion coming up after Las Vegas enters the league. There is no way that Bettman would allow the Coyotes to flee to Quebec when they could be sold an expansion team instead. I think the Coyotes are safe until the next round of expansion is official and the money is in the bank. Then the Coyotes will be sold to the market that lost out on expansion (Seattle?).

We still have a couple of years for them to tear down the franchise to bare bones loaded with higher end draft picks to make it more attractive for a buyer to come in with a low payroll high asset value team that can splurge in free agency to reach the floor.

Personally I think Quebec is more likely to get a relocated franchise than an expansion franchise unless the NHL lowers the expansion fee. I gather (mostly from reading the BOH board so I don't have any sources to quote) that during the expansion process that Quebec was interested in an expansion team and more or less began preparing for a bid, but ultimately balked at the expansion fee, and in the end it was only Las Vegas who actually submitted a formal expansion bid. The only way I see the expansion fee going lower is if the next round of expansion asks for $500 million again, and nobody bids for an expansion team because of the high fee.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Person who voted A want to give any reasoning?

I knew the Russian judge would score an "F", so had to go with an "A" to counterbalance the ridiculous negativity.

Other than that...
- new arena on the horizon in east valley
- changed name to "Arizona"
- bought AHL team and moved to Tucson
- team rebuilding, full prospect pool, and the future is bright
- hired Dawn Braid
- support youth and collegiate hockey
- ice girls

biggest reason...still in the Valley 8 yrs after the league bought the team. Who would have bet on that? :thumbu:

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I knew the Russian judge would score an "F", so had to go with an "A" to counterbalance the ridiculous negativity.

Other than that...
- new arena on the horizon in east valley
- changed name to "Arizona"
- bought AHL team and moved to Tucson
- team rebuilding, full prospect pool, and the future is bright
- hired Dawn Braid
- support youth and collegiate hockey
- ice girls

biggest reason...still in the Valley 8 yrs after the league bought the team. Who would have bet on that? :thumbu:

Considered doing same, but could't find large enough blinders to block the completely ignorant debacle with the COG and prematurely extending DT.

Seems I'm missing a negative or two at the moment, but would like to point out that I look at Chayka as a positive, thus far as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Seems I'm missing a negative or two at the moment, but would like to point out that I look at Chayka as a positive, thus far as well.

I agree. Chayka has been better than anyone ever expected him to be. The alchemy he worked on our budget and prospect pool was outstanding for a kid who's still under 30. I have more faith in him right now than I had with Maloney.

The only thing tempering the deal with Chayka for me is the fact that they went that route because nobody else wanted to come within 10 miles of this dumpster fire. But since our entire team is built around waiting for puck luck to happen, Chayka's success so far seems very much in line with our overall philosophy. :sarcasm:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
D. And I consider myself more optimistic than many in this forum.

I'll leave alone the on-ice performance, the extension of Tippett, etc., and comment only on the relocation prospects. My number 1 concern is whether or not we have a team. If they do relocate, I'll cheer harder for them to fail than the Blackhawks.

Ownership has done nothing to convince me that the team is staying. They're good for no more than lip service. After that bogus Tempe announcement, they have gone completely opaque.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
D. And I consider myself more optimistic than many in this forum.

I'll leave alone the on-ice performance, the extension of Tippett, etc., and comment only on the relocation prospects. My number 1 concern is whether or not we have a team. If they do relocate, I'll cheer harder for them to fail than the Blackhawks.

Ownership has done nothing to convince me that the team is staying. They're good for no more than lip service. After that bogus Tempe announcement, they have gone completely opaque.

I considered mentioning LeBlanc's BS, but I don't know what else we can expect of him, he's their mouthpiece and the fans poor support over the years doesn't give them much wiggle room. They had a golden goose in Glendale and either blew it, or intentionally sabotaged it.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I voted a D.
I feel I am a realist. I am not grading on a curve. Here are my factors that went into the grade.

1. A teams job is to do everything possible to win championships. That means hire the best coach, trainer, marketing team, equipment guy. Build a home ice advantage. Be honest about your prospects, get rid of the ones that don't work, and push and develop those that will be a part of the future. Bring in free agents that fill holes. Don't be cheap.

2. Provide a level of consistency when communicating to your fans regarding the teams expectations, the arena situation, and the reality of what you expect to accomplish this year. I don't think anyone expected to make the playoffs this year and would have been ok with management saying our first priority is to get our prospects as much experience good and bad as to build the team we hope will be a perineal champion, however we may sacrifice some wins this year in order to do it, and who knows if the cards align maybe some playoffs.

3. Actions should be consistent. If were going for the playoffs, go for it hard (we shouldn't be) and if your goal is development, sacrifice wins this year to get a read on who works and who doesn't.

4. No one in life gives you credit for existing. Its time that stops being an excuse here. I have had tickets since the end of the first season. I have seen a lot of ****** hockey. No Professional sports franchise other than the Washington Generals prides itself by winning miss congeniality. At some point ownership needs to sack up and show the money, which creates stability. We have great weather, good family life, nightlife for singles in Scottsdale and Tempe, all of the things that can be used to recruit top tier players. Either make Tempe happen, invest in Glendale or commit to playing somewhere.

5. Treatment of STH and local fans. It keeps getting worse. Is it really going to kill you to hold back a tshirt or bobblehead the one game i get stuck at work? Do I really want to renew when i keep seeing specials that are lower than what I pay for my seats? I have committed tens of thousands of dollars over the years (11 years lower bowl, 9 upper ) and I still don't know where the team is going to play in September.

So here's how it breaks out.

1 B
2 F
3 F
4 C
5 F

That's a composite d in my book

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
5. Treatment of STH and local fans. It keeps getting worse.

I've never been a STH, but think you guys should be treated like royalty. I mean, we don't have that many fans, need to make the loyal ones feel special.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I voted a D.
I feel I am a realist. I am not grading on a curve. Here are my factors that went into the grade.

1. A teams job is to do everything possible to win championships. That means hire the best coach, trainer, marketing team, equipment guy. Build a home ice advantage. Be honest about your prospects, get rid of the ones that don't work, and push and develop those that will be a part of the future. Bring in free agents that fill holes. Don't be cheap.

2. Provide a level of consistency when communicating to your fans regarding the teams expectations, the arena situation, and the reality of what you expect to accomplish this year. I don't think anyone expected to make the playoffs this year and would have been ok with management saying our first priority is to get our prospects as much experience good and bad as to build the team we hope will be a perineal champion, however we may sacrifice some wins this year in order to do it, and who knows if the cards align maybe some playoffs.

3. Actions should be consistent. If were going for the playoffs, go for it hard (we shouldn't be) and if your goal is development, sacrifice wins this year to get a read on who works and who doesn't.

4. No one in life gives you credit for existing. Its time that stops being an excuse here. I have had tickets since the end of the first season. I have seen a lot of ****** hockey. No Professional sports franchise other than the Washington Generals prides itself by winning miss congeniality. At some point ownership needs to sack up and show the money, which creates stability. We have great weather, good family life, nightlife for singles in Scottsdale and Tempe, all of the things that can be used to recruit top tier players. Either make Tempe happen, invest in Glendale or commit to playing somewhere.

5. Treatment of STH and local fans. It keeps getting worse. Is it really going to kill you to hold back a tshirt or bobblehead the one game i get stuck at work? Do I really want to renew when i keep seeing specials that are lower than what I pay for my seats? I have committed tens of thousands of dollars over the years (11 years lower bowl, 9 upper ) and I still don't know where the team is going to play in September.

So here's how it breaks out.

1 B
2 F
3 F
4 C
5 F

That's a composite d in my book

All of this. :handclap: In the last couple of years, the only perks I've felt like I've had as a STH were paying more money than anyone else. That's not a good way to create the Halo Effect.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Positives:
1. moved AHL team closer
2. basically turned our prospect pool around within a matter of two years (when Henrik Samuelsson was the closest to being NHL ready, and now, mainly due to health, he is about #10-15 on our prospect rankings, that says something)
3. plans for the new building in Tempe (dicey, but I will look at that as being more positive than negative)
4. created a front office that doesn't appear to be divided (none of us know exactly what went on, but it is clear that not everyone was close enough to being on the same page to continue)
5. supporting in-state hockey

Negatives:
1. play of team (obviously a negative, but there were a slight few who actually thought the team was going to be worse than last year, b/c integrating new players is not easy)
2. maybe the inability to spend, but that is something that we have been through before with Maloney - some good years, some bad years. I truly believe that we went after Goligoski, and that is going to be our big free agent spend over 2-3 offseasons. In the meantime, we keep contract scales low over the span of Smith's and OEL's remaining years. Even if Smith and OEL wind up leaving for a payday somewhere else, we still have a group of ELCs that will get bridge deals and decent payouts that don't break the bank.

Probably not an A, and I was waffling between B and C. Honestly, it may be closer to C, but the negatives aren't as big of a negative as people are making it out to be, IMO. You have to be down before going back up and this market can work. Even though not announced, I think that there is a big picture plan in place to where in 3 years, we are going to be both a fiscally-responsible and consistent team, which bodes well for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad