Grade the Avalanche deadline

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
A

The team got an overall upgrade. And they didn't part with anything that will come back to bite them in the ass.

Make the playoffs and anything can happen. Plus battling abs hopefully making the playoffs is good for growing this team instead of throwing in the towel.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
sure Boedker is likely not worth 5 mil (yes, someone may likely be stupid enough to pony it up) and I'm sure if he was offered it from ARZ he declined because it's ARZ

if anything getting the opportunity he will have now with his new linemates here he will have to prove he is worth that coin and if he does he has done us a solid .... if he doesn't produce we can cut ties or negotiate at a reasonable asking price

Tanguay is gone and I'm thrilled about that

I believe we are better today than we were yesterday but we would also have been better if we just brought up Z and Rants

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm giving it a B+ so far and if Sakic made the Boedker trade with having a strong indication that he can re-sign him than he gets an A (A- to A+ depending of the amount).

My reason for the B+ is we have upgraded on Tanguay, Martinsen and Bordnachuk while retaining all of our top picks (except for next year 3rd) and also all of our top prospects. Obviously the Boedker trade is not as good if he walks at the end of the year but if he helps getting us into the playoffs the experience the team will gain from that is huge in my eyes. I might put more emphasis on this than other people but to me it is very important that we start making steps in that direction.

I still believe we had to offer Bleaks a contract and him refuse it in order to get the 53rd pick so until somebody can refute that I'm looking at this way: we lost a player that had no future in this organization and another that they weren't sure of signing this summer so obviously they were not too high on him as well.

Regardless two of our weakness was top-6 FW and PP. I believe we improved them both so it's a good day. Furthermore I don't think Gelinas can be worst than Redmond and Bordy so that's another win in my book.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
F

Teams competing for a cup make these types of moves, unfortunately the Avs arn't close to being one of those teams.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I gave it a B-

Don't like trading any amount of assets for rentals at this point, but in the end we did get better....and we didn't really give any of our good prospects or draft picks.

Balls on the table.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Only on HF where two players who are not in a teams future plans or even have a contract are worth more than top six forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
C+/B- Would've been a B/B+ if we hadn't given up Wood, or used him to get an ELC like Rychel or Drouin instead of Boedker. At least it seems we won't overpay Boedker just because of what we gave up though. That's a positive.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Only on HF where two players who are not in a teams future plans or even have a contract are worth more than top six forward.

Because it's 20 games of that top six forward and Wood/Bleackley could have been turned into something that has value long term even if Avs didn't see a future for them here.

There is a reason every other wild card fighting team chose not to be big buyers this trade deadline. Just one. Because we're going for it! :yo:

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I get people being mad that we gave up prospects, even if they weren't in the plans, but the Avs need to start making the playoffs in order for this team to get to the next level. If the Avs missed the playoffs this year and did nothing then I believe some big changes would have been made and we would be set back a couple/few more years.

This team making the playoffs is very important and I am fine that we gave up assets to help the cause. We need to start gaining a winning culture and mentality, otherwise we develop a losing culture and end up being the Oilers. Even just making it to the playoffs is a huge accomplishment, and unlike last time, we will have largely the same team next year to follow it up.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
B

I posted in the GDT so won't repeat my thoughts.

Becomes an A if the additions help us to the playoffs and/or 2 of them are retained at reasonable contracts to possibly help us in the future

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Because it's 20 games of that top six forward and Wood/Bleackley could have been turned into something that has value long term even if Avs didn't see a future for them here.

There is a reason every other wild card fighting team chose not to be big buyers this trade deadline. Just one. Because we're going for it! :yo:

Penguins have made a few deals this year. Senators acquired Phaneuf. Predators acquired Johansen. Sure not trade deadline deals but all teams battling for wildcard spots.

I also don't believe Bleackley was going to turn into anything long-term, here or not.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Penguins have made a few deals this year. Senators acquired Phaneuf. Predators acquired Johansen. Sure not trade deadline deals but all teams battling for wildcard spots.

I also don't believe Bleackley was going to turn into anything long-term, here or not.
The Ottawa and Nashville trades aren't remotely close to what we did with a rental.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
B.

I can't believe people are getting this up in arms over Wood. He was probably the Avs most overrated prospect.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Phaneuf and Johansen aren't rentals and I have the feeling Ottawa will live to regret that trade. Penguins added Justin Schultz as a rental, so they are clearly out of their minds.

Bleakley was 100% going to turn into at least 53rd overall pick, confirmed by Sakic. That has value. But who knows, perhaps they just saved us from getting another Stuart or Berra.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For me a lot of players are overpaid in the NHL, but if Soderberg makes 5 mill a year who has never reached a 50 point mark playing on a good team, Boedker should be worth 5 having scored 50 points and on pace to do it again and he played on a much worse team than Soderberg.

People really underestimate the difference between playing on a good team vs a bad team when it comes to individual numbers of players, it makes a big difference

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Current Grade: B

Could go to a C+ to an A depending on if and how much Boedker resigns for. Anything under 4.75m gets an A and anything over 5m gets a C.

Gelinas is an improvement with a small chance that he can develop into an all around guy.

Beck deal was smart as was the Matthias deal.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I'm surprised we were one of the more aggressive teams at the deadline. Really hope it all pans out with a playoff spot.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Solid B. Ups to a B+ if the Avs make the playoffs. Drives into the A+ category if they can sign Boedker to a reasonable deal without costing them Mac, Barrie, or any other key pieces.

The only deal with any real risk is the Boedker one....and if the Avs either make the playoffs OR sign him reasonably it is a decent hockey deal. Only way I really hate it is if the Avs miss the playoffs AND do not sign Boedker.

Matthias is a no brainier, very low risk deal.

Gelinas is about on par with a 3rd round picked prospect anyways....and is probably NHL ready now. Would have liked him to be a righty, but meh?

Also, for those who pull at Berra and Stuart...... at least we get to see how the player fits this time before giving up both the pick AND the cash.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I believe we are better today than we were yesterday but we would also have been better if we just brought up Z and Rants

This is prevailing wisdom and I can't help but wonder if we're all wrong - both are killing it in the AHL at the moment, but neither brought diddly squat to our NHL roster earlier in the year. Might just be in both party's best interests to leave them alone for the moment, since (presumably) NHL caliber improvements can be and have been made at the deadline for a pittance anyways.

In any case, we have something we haven't had for awhile: options.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I gave it a 'B.' An 'A' would have required a perfect trade deadline, which I don't even know what that would have been.

A few things jump out about this deadline to me:

Going into the deadline, outside the fact Rantanen and Zadorov are in the AHL, the Avs had a few glaring problems with the team (there is obviously more than just this list):

1) Bodnarchuk or Redmond being forced into the lineup
2) A power play, that despite having a high percentage this year, looking dysfunctional
3) Guys like Tanguay and Iginla being useless in bottom-6 roles, and dragging players down in the top-6. Thus having roster spots filled by players who are in the wrong role.
4) Not enough depth to keep guys like Martinsen out of the lineup, and Mitchell on the 4th line.
5) No winger options for Duchene/MacKinnon.

1) Sakic has already stated Gelinas will play with Bigras. We don't know quite yet if he can be an upgrade on what the Avs had, but he isn't a rental, is young, big, and was looking like a 40 point defenceman a couple seasons ago. Potentially takes care of the first problem, and might help the power play. If the Avs find they can trust him, he will allow Bigras to play more, which in turn reduces the miles on EJ and Beauchemin.

2) Boedker has more power play points than any Avs forward, playing on a team that has a slightly worse power play percentage than the Avs. He will help out here, and will hopefully take Comeau off the power play.

3) Tanguay being gone, even if it was for nothing, is an upgrade. He had to be used in the top-6 to not be entirely useless, and even there he was dragging down whoever he played with by constantly going offside and making bad passes.

4) Matthias took Martinsen off Soderberg's wing, and finally gives the Avs a legitimate 3rd line. Going forward, they will probably take all the hard matchups.

5) Lastly, the Avs obviously got a top-6 winger, which they needed very badly.

They potentially improved some big issues with the team. We will just have to wait and see if Boedker, Matthias, and Gelinas are enough to improve the puck possession of the club. It may seem like a waste adding these players to last week's team, but with them in the lineup it could look very different, and make more sense in the long run. The Avs might not be "just a bubble team" now.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
but neither brought diddly squat to our NHL roster earlier in the year.

nor did Duchene .... sometimes it takes a little gameplay to get things going

by no means am I saying either/both are our saviors but I do think either/both are better than alternatives we are currently icing in their respective positions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad