F Alex Tanguay - 36 y/o, $3.5m [UFA]
F Colin Smith - 22 y/o, $0.63m [RFA]
F Conner Bleackley - 20 y/o, unsigned
F Marc-Andre Cliche - 28 y/o, $0.7m [UFA]
D Kyle Wood - 19 y/o, unsigned
2017 COL 3rd round pick
2016 COL 4th round pick

--

Roykic add the top 6 winger we've been asking for in Boedker, but he might walk as a UFA this summer. The bottom 6, big body arrives in Matthias. Gelinas comes for the bottom pairing, but isn't a rental like most of us expected.

Our 1st, 2nd, Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Pickard, Meloche(IMO our top 5 prospects) all remain. They improved the team without sacrificing the main pieces of the future.

Let's see your grades.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I give it a solid B.

If Gelinas is better than he sounds from Devils fans and can play a third pairing role then I really like our trades. Hopefully Matthias picks it up and Boedker can make a positive impact up front. It will definitely be nice to have Boedker's skating over Tangs'.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
C-

Going for rentals when you are on pace for 87 points shows a lack of willingness be being honest about where you are as a team. But at least they didn't give up any of the most valuable pieces. It could have been uglier.

Not a fan of Gelinas trade, knowing how quickly Roy get bored with defenders.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
B+. I like it a lot more than a lot of people it seems. I feel like Boedker will re-sign at a good rate (especially with how he's said that Arizona were the ones that pulled the deal).

Matthias was a great 3rd line pickup.

Gelinas has upside and could turn it around. Either way his shot is worth a shot and a 3rd isn't a big deal either way.

Tanguay is gone and that is a big help to the team. He looked so slow out there while Boedker flies. Kyle Wood is an okay prospect but some people are way too high on him. Bleackley had no future here.

GOOOOODBYE CLICHE!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Like the Matthias addition a lot, Boedker's a clear upgrade on Tanguay, thought they got away without giving up anything that will hurt them long term. PP should be better. Pretty good deadline IMO.

Only downside is they didn't improve defensively on the backend. A little worried about overpaying to keep Boedker but it sounds like that hasn't been decided yet.

18Mike18

Aug 3, 2007
BC
B. I expected a bit more. Sad about tang and smith. But the team is better. Prospects are always hit and miss you never know.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say a B. Gelinas is a worthwhile gamble and improves the PP for the rest of the season. Matthias was a good pick up for the small price. Boedker is a player I don't mind (I'm not a huge fan, or detractor of his) and he should improve the PP and be an upgrade 5v5 vs Tangs.

The Avs got better without mortgaging the future. They shipped out players that are behind other prospects in the pipeline. Still have their first two picks in each draft into the future.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
B-

I want to see what we do with Boedker before I go to extreme one way or another. If we sign him to $4-4.5m, I'd go up to an A. If he gets $6m+ or walks for free, I'd drop it to a D.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A for me and here's why:

- We acquired a legitimate top-6 forward with speed
- We acquired a legitimate bottom-6 forward with speed and size who wins a hell of a lot of board battles
- We acquired a depth defensemen with a cannon of a shot who is an upgrade on Redmond/Guenin/Bodnarsuck/Gormley

- We kept Rantanen/Bigras/Zadorov/Compher/Meloche/2016 1st/Pickard. Cream of the crop of our prospects are all still here
- We got rid of Tanguay
- We got rid of Bleackley who by all accounts wasn't even going to get signed

Really, giving this management group an "A" is a no-brainer for me. People are going to disagree with trading for Boedker and giving up Wood/Bleackley but I see it as we improved short-term and are not hurt long-term, either.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Right now id give it a C+.

We did get better as a team, and the Matthias deal was pretty solid.

If we resign Boedker under at 4 or under I would give it a B+, if we sign him over 5 it goes straight to F for me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'll go with a C. I didn't want any rentals but we ended up with two of them. I like Boedker as a player though and we kept all of our top assets so that's why it's not a lower grade.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Also giving this a solid B. I'm sad about Tangs but, he just plain lost his mojo. Hope he does better in AZ. Don't know much about Gelinas. However, if hes able to get Bondarchuk off the ice then that's fine with me. Also everyone says hes got a cannon. Always good to bring a cannon to a gun fight.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
glad Tanguay is gone, excited to see what Boedker can do, stoked Bodnarchuk is pushed out of the lineup, very intrigued at how good Gelinas' advanced stats are, amazed that Cliche is out of the organization, mildly perturbed about Bleakley and Wood but not really. B+

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
B+. I like it a lot more than a lot of people it seems. I feel like Boedker will re-sign at a good rate (especially with how he's said that Arizona were the ones that pulled the deal).

Matthias was a great 3rd line pickup.

Gelinas has upside and could turn it around. Either way his shot is worth a shot and a 3rd isn't a big deal either way.

Tanguay is gone and that is a big help to the team. He looked so slow out there while Boedker flies. Kyle Wood is an okay prospect but some people are way too high on him. Bleackley had no future here.

GOOOOODBYE CLICHE!
this

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
It's a B that will turn in to an A depending on the Boeds contract situation.

Smith and a 4th for a legit NHL player who not only can keep up with our speed but play sound defensive hockey and crashes the net is always good in my books. Smith was never going to make it here, and a 4th round pick is a 4th round pick.

Giving up basically nothing for Boedker was a good move, he's another guy who can skate like the wind and will help out our PP. Wood was the best piece we gave up, and he was our 5th best D-prospect.

Gelinas, while currently not the greatest, can be a solid addition to the bottom pairing and especially adds another element to our PP. He brings more speed as well (reoccurring theme here) and has some pretty decent upside. It's pretty easy to see why the Avs targeted him, now they have to hope they can turn him into something more than he was with the Devils.

Cliche for Beck is basically a win in all possible ways, Beck is decent for the AHL and a safe 13th/14th F. Just a shame they lost Wagner. Blame the stupidity of the Bodnarsuck claim on that, but that's a whole different discussion.

We still have all our important draft picks too.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
B+

The bottom line is the Avs are a better team and gave up relatively little.

If they can re-sign Boedker to a reasonable contract, I'll change this grade to an A.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'll go with a C. I didn't want any rentals but we ended up with two of them. I like Boedker as a player though and we kept all of our top assets so that's why it's not a lower grade.
Only Boedker is a rental. Edit: Oh, right forgot about Matthias

I'll give it a B as well, Tanguay was done and we got an upgrade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
A- or a B+. I like all of the acquisitions. I think Gelinas is a better player then Devils fans say he is. He should help our PP this year with that shot of his, and in a bottom pairing role I think he'll do well for us. Given what Polak, and Russell went for I am glad we decided not to go after the obvious names and went with a lower key guy instead.

With Boedker. I really like the trade in that I dont think we gave up much. A late 2nd round pick(53rd overall) in the 2017 draft. An addition by subtraction in moving Tanguay, and a prospect that they weren't all that high on either despite us as a fan base being higher.

The one thing I dont like about the Boedker trade is the comment about how they aren't necessarily concerned about re-signing him right now. I wish we wouldn't have went out for a full on rental like we did. I hope we look into re-signing him for something around 3.5-4.5M, basically what Tanguay was making for us.

I dont like that deal if we have no intentions of re-signing him this summer as I dont think we're in a position to be buying rentals like that yet, we should be adding guys with the intentions of bringing them back.

Matthias was a good add also. Gives us a really strong fore checking and puck possession 3rd line in Matthias - Soderberg - Comeau

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't like that Avs are at 50 contracts again. This means Avs can't sign Compher and burn a year on his ELC. That's one of the ways teams can get good NCAA players to sign and not risk them walking for nothing.

I guess with the forward logjam he wouldn't have gotten 9+ games down the stretch anyway, but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad