Grade the Avalanche deadline

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The Avs are a better team today than yesterday, but I also believe they would be a better team if they just went with their internal options rather than dealing assets.

C

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Joe looks tired. Long day, bruv.

CcaQQOiUkAA53jc.jpg

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I was just thinking about deals from today.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
C for now. Waaaaaay too early to give a definitive grade.

Not thrilled with the Boedkker trade, somewhat excited about Gelinas. I feel like the former brings too much risk and too little reward. Even if they weren't going to sign the two prospects, they could've just taken the compensatory pick. A 2nd rounder isn't nothing. Again, I'm okay with the trade...just not thrilled with it. I think the Avs will only make a HUGE mistake if they sign Boedkker long-term.

Gelinas is yet another project D-man. I certainly hope he shows more than the previous reclamation projects. It's becoming increasingly ridiculous that the Avs can't for the life of themselves find SOMEONE to bump Nick Holden off that 2nd pairing. And please spare me the "he's played well this year" stuff. He's played well all things considered, but he's still a fringe NHLer who has no business being anything more than a team's 6/7 guy.

Also, somewhat mystified that Duncan Siemens is still around. I suppose he goes this offseason.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
C-

Going for rentals when you are on pace for 87 points shows a lack of willingness be being honest about where you are as a team. But at least they didn't give up any of the most valuable pieces. It could have been uglier.

Not a fan of Gelinas trade, knowing how quickly Roy get bored with defenders.

I almost said a C as well, but I really like Matts man. If we let the other guys walk I hope we keep him and keep that line together.

Gelinas leaves me wanting more on Defense, and Boedker is ok to good depending on how you view it based on what they gave up for help.

Boedker + Matts - Tanguay - Wood - 4th - 52nd = A

Gelinas = D

So it's like a B- for me

Keep in mind, (the draft people can back this up) the prospect quality drops off hard in the 2nd round before that late of a pick from what I've seen said.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
B

Haven't been reading too much here so may be a repeated sentiment:
Regardless of what you feel about acquiring Boedker in the first place, trading Tanger at least shows that Roy/Sakic are totally able to be cold about dealing former teammates/friends.

OTOH getting rental(s) when we're a bubble team is iffy.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Are we certain that any of these guys are solely rentals? We may yet re-sign Boedker and Matthias, I'm never sure why its looked at as being definitively anything at this point.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Are we certain that any of these guys are solely rentals? We may yet re-sign Boedker and Matthias, I'm never sure why its looked at as being definitively anything at this point.

Boedker turned down 5x5 and is reportedly intending to test the market.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That might make it worse depending on the price to re-sign them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Roy seemed non committal on that today, he didn't want to talk directly about signing or not, but did remind (when asked) that they were willing to give up later picks to help the team now for rentals/UFAs

Sounded to me like it highly depends on Boedker's play and asking price, as Sakic mentioned having 'options' in the off-season directly after asked about signing Boedker.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Boedker turned down 5x5 and is reportedly intending to test the market.

I'm presuming he turned down 5x5 from Arizona? Perhaps that has something to do with it. If he's gonna fleece us or leave, we still didn't give much of value. I'd hardly write off the likelihood of him being an asset for us on the same day we acquire him.

That might make it worse depending on the price to re-sign them.

Well yeah, it might be worse if I get hit by a car that day also. Obviously we're trusting our management to handle the factors within their control. What's with the rampant pessimism on this day of all days? This is worse than that actual on-ice fiasco over the weekend.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't mind the Avs letting Boedker testing the market... odds are a team won't pony up the $5m+ for him and he will have to settle.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well yeah, it might be worse if I get hit by a car that day also. Obviously we're trusting our management to handle the factors within their control. What's with the rampant pessimism on this day of all days? This is worse than that actual on-ice fiasco over the weekend.

It's not really pessimism, just my opinion on these players. I wouldn't want Boedker at anything that starts with a 5. I also wouldn't sign Matthias for more than one season.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm giving it a B- for now, A if they manage to reasonably resign Boedker.

But from everything I'm reading I'm not holding my breath on a Boedker extension. It's possible he just wanted to get out of Arizona, I mean who wouldn't, but he sounds like a guy reaching for free agency to me. Too early to tell either way I guess.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I am totally surprised with Boedkker trade. Really did not see that happening, i mean did not expect Avs trade for him. He is kinda good, right?

Otherwise i think there is no point in giving any grades, since we have no idea how well are these players going to play, or the players we gave up or the picks we gave up.... i just say i feel fairly positively about this, since i dont think we gave up any of our most valuable assets...

The question, with deadline over, are we going to call up Rantanen now?

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I mean we can all speculate about the potential deal Boedker had in front of him but that does not matter. He is on a different team and will be playing a much different role. Who knows maybe he was going to test the market simply because he wanted out of Arizona. Honestly for the price we paid it is a good deal and the Soderberg signing last summer gives me hope that we will sign him for a reasonable amount. The Avalanche made the biggest trade of the day and that shows confidence in the team. Now time to call up Rantanen and let Iginla play along side Soderberg and Matthias.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't like that Avs are at 50 contracts again. This means Avs can't sign Compher and burn a year on his ELC. That's one of the ways teams can get good NCAA players to sign and not risk them walking for nothing.

I guess with the forward logjam he wouldn't have gotten 9+ games down the stretch anyway, but still.

I don't think Compher is NHL ready

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's not really pessimism, just my opinion on these players. I wouldn't want Boedker at anything that starts with a 5. I also wouldn't sign Matthias for more than one season.

These are both fair. Matthias I'd probably give 2 years to - I don't think he's going to surprise anyone at this point, but I think he's more consistent than the 3rd liners we've been utilizing. Boedker should get around what Soderberg got, and whether that ends up being a good deal or not, I guess these 20ish games will give us an idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad