Grade our trade deadline moves

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We'll look back at this in 3 years to re-evaluate.

That is not possible to re-evaluate. We have no idea who we would pick with the picks we gave up. And you cannot use whoever the teams that used our picks on to determine who we would take.

Our team's scouting department for quite a long time has done much different things than the normal thing most experts/insiders have. Since Devellano (spelling probably) we have always marched to the beat of a different drummer in regards to who we have preference in selecting.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wasn't all that enthused about trading for Cole and after last night's game nothing has changed my opinion. Perhaps he will prove to be a solid acquisition but I didn't feel the need to age the team with a guy who may end up being a very minor upgrade over Franzen. I wasn't pushing to trade for Zidlicky either but at least he addresses a very clear need. That goal last night was total luck but hopefully it is a sign he will have a productive career in Detroit - however long that may be.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I wasn't all that enthused about trading for Cole and after last night's game nothing has changed my opinion. Perhaps he will prove to be a solid acquisition but I didn't feel the need to age the team with a guy who may end up being a very minor upgrade over Franzen. I wasn't pushing to trade for Zidlicky either but at least he addresses a very clear need. That goal last night was total luck but hopefully it is a sign he will have a productive career in Detroit - however long that may be.

He's a pretty massive upgrade over Franzen. Franzen isn't playing at all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's a pretty massive upgrade over Franzen. Franzen isn't playing at all.

tumblr_inline_nkq2xqjpZe1r2efhr.gif

Cole in the top six gives the Wings a more potent 3rd line, which if we've learned anything in the past playoff series, the 3rd line can really tip the scales in a tight series. That 3rd line against the Hawks almost pulled it out for us in 2013.

This, of course, assumes Cole produces in the top 6. Next to Zetterberg, I'm thinking he should be okay. But we'll see.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
tumblr_inline_nkq2xqjpZe1r2efhr.gif

Cole in the top six gives the Wings a more potent 3rd line, which if we've learned anything in the past playoff series, the 3rd line can really tip the scales in a tight series. That 3rd line against the Hawks almost pulled it out for us in 2013.

This, of course, assumes Cole produces in the top 6. Next to Zetterberg, I'm thinking he should be okay. But we'll see.

I mean, he performed pretty well with both Seguin and Spezza. He should perform well with Zetterberg who is definitely better than Spezza. Still paid too much for him. Guy isn't particularly great. Third liner at this point in his career. So long as we don't resign him in the offseason, I can deal with it.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I thought we paid a lot for Cole but I thought we got a great deal on Zids.

Liked a lot what I saw from Cole today, Zids scored the OTW.

Hard to complain yet

I'm sorry but how is a second round pick for Cole and a third an overpayment? Nill did his buddy Holland a favor.

I mean, he performed pretty well with both Seguin and Spezza. He should perform well with Zetterberg who is definitely better than Spezza. Still paid too much for him. Guy isn't particularly great. Third liner at this point in his career. So long as we don't resign him in the offseason, I can deal with it.

Agian not sure how a second for a 20 goal scorer in Cole and a third round pick is at all an overpayment.

The demand was high for rental players, prices were set and we got a huge favor from Nill

Last edited by a moderator:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

The goal was not total luck. He went very deep and scored the goal just outside the crease.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Seems to me that "aging the team" is only a concern when you're talking about the longterm health of the organization. It's not something you need to worry about too much since Cole is just a rental.

The goal was not total luck. He went very deep and scored the goal just outside the crease.

Agreed. I thought it demonstrated good offensive instincts.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
My favorite thing about the deadline pickups is that they both seem thrilled to be with us.

Okay Marek Grumpycat Zidlicky has never smiled in his life but he had to waive a NTC to come here so it must have been for a reason.

And Cole on the other hand just seems ecstatic, like he just graduated from college and got drafted by his favorite team.

Good vibrations.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I am a "Win now" kinda guy. If if means selling our farm and picks to get Keith, do it. But we didn't do that. We got rid of two players who will never make our team and got two solid acquisitions. I am happy about Cole. He is like Primeau Plus. Not a difference maker but not the reason you lose either. And Zid has already won us a game.

B+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad