Grade our trade deadline moves

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Assign a grade to our tread deadline acquisitions of Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky.

Re-cap

Cole and conditional 3rd was acquired for 2nd, Janmark, Backman

Zidlicky was acquired for 2016 3rd (if we make it to ECF we add a 2015 5th, if we make it to SCF the 2016 3rd becomes 2016 2nd)

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
Erik Cole - B, gives us a good forechecker who can score and didn't cost much

Marek Zidlicky - A, fills our need for a RH PMD, cost absolutely nothing

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I give both a B. Both moves fill a need and improve the team. Whether it's enough remains to be seen but we have better potential to go deep in the playoffs and didn't sacrifice a great deal of future

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would have given a C+ for the Cole trade alone, but the combination of both Zidlicky and Cole for no 1st rounders or significant prospects gets a cumulative A- for me.

So

Cole trade: C+
Zidlicky trade: A+

Combined: A-

Overall, I am very excited and pleased with this deadline. I am very anxious for the play-offs, and I just want us to stay healthy and build chemistry. I believe we can do some damage in the play-offs, more so than a few days ago.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Overall I'm very satisfied with the moves Holland made. I give him an A. Got players that will help us come playoff time and it didn't cost much.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cole: B/B-

He's big, fast, gritty. His production isn't really *that* important in light of that. He's not an offensive black hole but not a superstud, but he'll likely be slotting in for Helm and that means he's playing with Datsyuk and Tatar. He just has to be in the right spot and things will happen. I don't think we gave up that much either. We have a ton of depth and prospects both front and back, and the guys we gave up had been passed by a bunch of players already. Our team is young enough to trade them away without killing our future.

Zidlicky: A-

Old, but a RHD and a good puck mover. If we can get him the right matchups and he fits well into our PP, could be a solid addition. I also hope that somehow we keep Marchenko over Smith in the lineup. I dunno, he's just looked so much more capable than Smith in his few games. He's smarter at pinching, sees passes better, makes fewer idiotic turnovers, appears to take fewer penalties as well. And it's just a third. If we make the SCF and it becomes a second, then I think we won the trade. Any time you make it to the SCF, you've made a good move.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Cole - C
Zidlicky - A

I could have lived without Cole. However, he's pretty much Abdelkader with speed. I think both Z and D benefit a lot with Abby on their line but, Babcock prefers to keep them seperated so, Cole sound like a logical fit to me.

Zidlicky is an excellent pick-up. Came at a cheap price and provides us with exactly what we need this season. Perhaps we can even sign him for one more year, which will give Sproul time to fine-tune his skills and if succesful, Zidlicky leaving will be readily replaced with him. At this point, I'm guessing Smith's future with Detroit is pretty much limited as we have Ouellet and Marchy pushing through the ranks, Ericsson signed for a while and Quincey having another year on the contract. Besides, given how Quincey played this season, I rather we keep him and let Smith go, as well as Kindl.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Easy A for me. I'm not so sure how I feel about Cole, but acquiring a rental PMD is exactly what I wanted Holland to do if he couldn't acquire a big name D man like Phaneuf.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cole: B+
Cost of Acquisition: A

Overall: A-

Great 24 hours for Ken Holland. Babcock has enough to win, time for him to push the right buttons and hopefully we stay injury free.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
Cole C+
Zidlicky B+

Zidlicky was an obvious need acquired at a reasonable price. The only way I'd give an A would be for a 1st pairing RHD. As it stands, he should be a capable, veteran 2nd pairing RHD.

Cole is a better acquisition than on paper. I think the price was steep, but it was house money. It's like trying to knock out someone in poker when you have a massive chip lead. It's a dumb hand to play, but a perfect situation to play it in. Our prospect depth in front of the Mats made the situation right.

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Cole: B+
Cost of Acquisition: A

Overall: A-

Great 24 hours for Ken Holland. Babcock has enough to win, time for him to push the right buttons and hopefully we stay injury free.

^This. We're in a better position than we were yesterday and we didn't give up much. I don't understand the complaints here.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
B+. They weren't big moves, and I'm not sure they change our chances a LOT.

But they're well thought out additions to the team. I think Cole in particular seems like the sort of player who could find success here. Zidlicky is a little more up in the air for me. Will his handedness and shot redeem him in Babcock's eyes? or will his somewhat shaky defensive play get him buried?

I think an underrated aspect of this is that Holland HAD to show Babcock that he could make this team competitive in the playoffs, and he had to do it without giving away something he'd really regret. and he did a really good job of that. I'm sure a lot of offers Holland made died after somebody mentioned Larkin or Mantha. But so Babcock is probably happy, and maybe this gesture will move him toward staying in Detroit.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The roster is better today than yesterday. That alone is worth a passing grade. Where Holland and company get high marks is retaining all their top assets and keeping the current roster intact.

Cole: B

Overall B+/A- pretty easy. I like the conditional aspects that ensure the higher price only remains with success.

To get a homerun A grade I would have required more than rentals, but this is pretty awesome for the deadline!

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
A solid B. I like the Cole trade in the sense he can create havoc around the net, giving chances to our snipers. I think of him as a less stupid Abdelkader with better speed & scoring touch. Zids should make the PP even more lethal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really did believe by the middle of yesterday that Phaneuf was Detroit bound. I think the Leafs got greedy, curious what they get at the draft for him.

That would have thrown a lot of these grades into a big debate. Not sure how people are upset about this. These are players having quality years, with quality track records that seem absolutely ideal for the roles we want to put them in and at very low cost to our organizational future.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I really did believe by the middle of yesterday that Phaneuf was Detroit bound. I think the Leafs got greedy, curious what they get at the draft for him.

That would have thrown a lot of these grades into a big debate. Not sure how people are upset about this. These are players having quality years, with quality track records that seem absolutely ideal for the roles we want to put them in and at very low cost to our organizational future.

I do like that the door is still open on Mike Green...

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
Why are you guys giving separate grades for the players? Just rate it as 1 grade. Easy. Look!!:

C

Look how easy that was. I gave it a grade of a C because I feel like it's a "Meh" type of deal. I don't think it makes our team better, and I also don't think it makes our team worse. I hope I'm wrong and that these 2 trades will make our team better but I doubt it. Was hoping for Yandle and or Phanuuuffff, got neither but didn't give up much anyways. So final grade: C (meh)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad