Staples Twitter: Grabovski Not Cleared For Training Camp

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Interesting now in a cap world, it appears the physical is becoming a crucial issue unlike ever before.

Better identification, advanced testing, education, but also do not discount...the larger issues: cap space, ability to escape a contract, and the almighty insurance to pick up the tab.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Also, folks noticing that Weight is now regularly being quoted in the press (newsday, ok) about players/team and being a little more frank/transparent about things since L&M took over vs. the Snow/Wang lackthereof?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I saw him take a nudge in the head against Washington last year and that was the last game he played I believe.

When he was rule out for upper body the next game, I said his career was over and I still stick by that.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Also, folks noticing that Weight is now regularly being quoted in the press (newsday, ok) about players/team and being a little more frank/transparent about things since L&M took over vs. the Snow/Wang lackthereof?

havent really been reading newsday--can you give a few examples?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i feel bad for him and wish he was ready to help the team, but if he isnt ready after almost 6 months, it is time to call it a career--he has kids and a wife...one more concussion (which is probable if he suits up again) and he will b f'd up for a long time (if he isnt already)

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
havent really been reading newsday--can you give a few examples?

“When it comes to a situation like this, there’s basically one team you can trade him to that would appease him and he’s got an incredibly favorable cap hit. So it’s an awful tough situation for Garth to be in,” said Doug Weight, Isles assistant GM and assistant coach.
“Full disclosure though: The first 2-3 months, Garth and I, we’re going to say hey, this is going to be a problem, it’s going to be apparent.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/travis-hamonic-happy-that-he-stayed-with-islanders-1.12330956

“You’ve got to grow from those things,” Isles assistant GM and assistant coach Doug Weight said. “He was beat up from it, frankly. We didn’t talk to him for a couple months after because we wanted him to work it out for himself.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/josh-ho-sang-is-back-with-islanders-with-positive-attitude-1.12330977

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Capuano's in Toronto.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Capuano's in Toronto.

Those are GM-like/management comments, not coach-style comments. I would not expect Capuano to say such things, if he was the voice.

Not tossing this as some conspiracy, just curious whether this could indicate a little more openness from the organization under a new ownership regime - again, something Isles fans have criticized the Wang regime for.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Those are GM-like/management comments, not coach-style comments. I would not expect Capuano to say such things, if he was the voice.

Not tossing this as some conspiracy, just curious whether this could indicate a little more openness from the organization under a new ownership regime - again, something Isles fans have criticized the Wang regime for.

Doug Weight is an assistant GM as well as an assistant coach.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I can't imagine that Snow is going to let Weight be his mouthpiece to the media this season but that remains to be seen. When Cappy returns to NY he will be the main source for the media and Weight will be talking less.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I hope he can get healthy...

How much do we save if he goes on the LTIR list?

5 mil. Not that I expect anything but it's a LOT of cap room to make something happen, if they could.

(looks in kucherov's direction, wherever he is)

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I can't imagine that Snow is going to let Weight be his mouthpiece to the media this season but that remains to be seen. When Cappy returns to NY he will be the main source for the media and Weight will be talking less.
I've always felt like Garth is a little uneasy talking to the media, at least on camera he never looks comfortable. Could be that he's more than happy letting Dougie do the talking.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I've always felt like Garth is a little uneasy talking to the media, at least on camera he never looks comfortable. Could be that he's more than happy letting Dougie do the talking.

Anyone else remember that prospect scrimmage where Garth came out onto the ice with a prepared speech for the crowd, and was shaking as if he was in sub-zero weather?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Some other tweets from Staple regarding whether they LTIR Grabo:

I don't think Staple has this one correct. I'm pretty sure any bonuses carry over and have cap implications for *next year's* cap (see: Panarin in Chicago -- his bonuses from last year are affecting their cap space this year, thus part of the reason for the Bickell/Terrevainen cap cutting). Barzal's cap hit for this season is simply his base salary of $894,166.00

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't think Staple has this one correct. I'm pretty sure any bonuses carry over and have cap implications for *next year's* cap (see: Panarin in Chicago -- his bonuses from last year are affecting their cap space this year, thus part of the reason for the Bickell/Terrevainen cap cutting). Barzal's cap hit for this season is simply his base salary of $894,166.00

I trust you over Staple lol...and that's not a knock on Staple as much as it seems you know this stuff inside and out. At least somebody does I can't make heads or tails of the rules. I read an article yesterday by someone who insists that Mantha will be expansion draft ineligible.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
And on Grabovski guess he was being overly optimistic in his summer interview. This is for him:

ImageGen.ashx

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's a solid player when he plays. He's just so reckless with his head down. I really hope he doesn't suffer beyond hockey.

hb6947

Hooked Since '78
Nov 18, 2003
Bellmore, NY
Staples report and a conversation I had today with a source close to the team leads me to believe he is done. Hope for his health he doesn't push it.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Staples report and a conversation I had today with a source close to the team leads me to believe he is done. Hope for his health he doesn't push it.

Problem is, most players do push; they still want to play and they don't feel like they're done. Look at Lafontaine, he was told to hang 'em up, he didn't, went to the rangers and got knocked out again. May not be affecting him now, but it probably will in the future. You can't keep beating your brain up like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00