Speculation: Grabovski bought out

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Alfie repotedly wants between 4.5-6 million per. I don;t think we can afford to sign him unless we make cap room.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A 40 year old winger isn't exactly what I had in mind. Ugh. Also, per the Dreger tweets. How AREN'T we even in the murmurings regarding Grabovski?(I suppose Mindfly already adequately covered this.)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Alfie repotedly wants between 4.5-6 million per. I don;t think we can afford to sign him unless we make cap room.

"Well he fits in our 1-2 year contract window." God damn. I'd take Lecavalier for 5 years at 4.5 mil over Alfredsson at 6 mil for 2.(Yes, I know, I know. Broken Record.) But Holland's UFA season track record post lock out is seemingly getting worse every year.(Though I don't know if he can top last year's blunder.) I'm not completely against bringing in Alfredsson so long as it doesn't hinder playing Tatar and Nyquist. But this feels like indication to me that we're out on Weiss and Grabbo.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Was just reading this on Spector's rumours:

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/grabovski2.jpgNo KHL for Mikhail Grabovski.

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: Jason Brough cited a tweet from Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov claiming former Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski wants to sign with an NHL team, having rejected the one offer he received from a KHL club. Brough suggested Winnipeg might be a good destination, as they could use depth at center following the departure of Alexander Burmistrov to the KHL.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: That shouldn’t be surprising. Grabovski gave no indication the KHL was an option. One reason he hasn’t landed a contract yet is he was on his honeymoon, as the Leafs bought him out the day before his wedding, which coincidentally was July 5, when this year’s UFA market began. The Jets could be interested, but it’ll depend on what Grabovski’s asking price. He won’t get over $5 million per season. Indeed, because of his buyout, he might have to accept half that.

If Grabo is in the 2.5m per year range, and given he could play with Datsyuk, wouldn't it be worth a chance? Put it this way,. I'd rather see Grabo get 2.5 for 3 years than Cleary.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'd rather sign Grabo at 2.5 for 3 years than Cleary for one year at the league minimum.

As long as Babcock is the coach, I'll never be a proponent of bringing back Cleary.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
If Grabo is in the 2.5m per year range, and given he could play with Datsyuk, wouldn't it be worth a chance? Put it this way,. I'd rather see Grabo get 2.5 for 3 years than Cleary.

Given today's prices, I'll be very surprised if he's willing to settle for $2.5m on a short-term contract.

RedWingsNow*

Teams aren't going to suddenly find money. Teams that can't afford $4M a year today won't be able to afford it 4 weeks from now.
UFAs who want to play are going to have to accept less.
Won't hurt Grabovski much, since he's getting paid anyway

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not if we're not going for it because we need Cleary back.

Wait...you're saying we're the only team that could sign Grabovski for $2.5? I think a bunch of other GMs might want to do that too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wait...you're saying we're the only team that could sign Grabovski for $2.5? I think a bunch of other GMs might want to do that too.

I'm just going based on your premise. That if he could be had for 2.5 he'd be signed by now.

Wings are in the east now. A contender that added a couple of good pieces this year and had good talent coming up. Has his good friend Datsyuk. And could pretty easily find 2.5M somewhere.

If he could be signed for just 2.5M I think the only reason we aren't hearing about a potential deal with the Wings is because we got enough centers and he wouldn't be on the wing because that's where Captain Canada goes. Plus, signing Cleary gets rid of any money we'd need for Grabo anyway.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm just going based on your premise. That if he could be had for 2.5 he'd be signed by now.

Wings are in the east now. A contender that added a couple of good pieces this year and had good talent coming up. Has his good friend Datsyuk. And could pretty easily find 2.5M somewhere.

If he could be signed for just 2.5M I think the only reason we aren't hearing about a potential deal with the Wings is because we got enough centers and he wouldn't be on the wing because that's where Captain Canada goes. Plus, signing Cleary gets rid of any money we'd need for Grabo anyway.

Again, can you point out where I said that we're the only team that could sign him for $2.5 and Cleary is stopping us? You're putting words in my mouth, as you seem to enjoy doing to my posts.

My point stands: if he would have accepted $2.5, he'd have signed with someone by now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Again, can you point out where I said that we're the only team that could sign him for $2.5 and Cleary is stopping us? You're putting words in my mouth, as you seem to enjoy doing to my posts.

My point stands: if he would have accepted $2.5, he'd have signed with someone by now.

Same with Brunner. I'm wondering when they break and either just sign somewhere to have a paycheck for a season and raise their value or if the go across the pond for a payday.

crashman

Same with Brunner. I'm wondering when they break and either just sign somewhere to have a paycheck for a season and raise their value or if the go across the pond for a payday.

Now that NJ has signed Jagr, it seems like Brunner might be screwed.

Like I said before free-agency, I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to goes back to Europe to play next year.

RedWingsNow*

As is always the case, unless you're Parise and Suter, if you're not signed 4-5 days after free agency starts, you're out of luck,.

It's a great time to get bargains.

And this year, because of the cap dropping off-- the number of bargains out there is higher than ever.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I'm not putting words in your mouth.

You said if he could be had for 2.5 he'd be signed by now.

I said if he could be had for 2.5 he'd be signed by now unless the reason the Wings weren't going for him was because they are dead set on Cleary. And then I gave a few reasons why Grabo would be amenable to signing with the Wings.

I did not say that you said Cleary was blocking this signing. I said that you said if Grabovski could be signed for 2.5 he'd be signed already.

And then I added my own thought to it, not yours! I'm saying on my own, that if Grabo could be had for 2.5 the Wings could sign him and should try and should be on his shortlist. But NOT if they are obsessed with Cleary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad