Speculation: Grabovski bought out

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If Jarnkrok isn't ready for 2C 3 years from now, he won't ever be. I definitely think he's the guy they have in mind, and with some luck he'll be ready for the role by then.
And if he is, you relocate Lecavalier down a line. Not a problem. Flyers fans speculate Lecavalier will play second line center until Schenn or Couturier are ready, by which time he will fall down a line. Similar scenario here.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Wow,really? Greg Stefan? Just when I was starting to like you, you go and rip Ozzie like that. I hope you get packaged in whatever deal we put together to get rid of Holland and then Cleary signs an 8 year deal with that team. I hate you with the power of 1000 suns right now.

Okay, he was a little better than Greg Stefan.

That having been said, do you really think it's a coincidence that "Meltdown Manny" Legace put up ridiculously good numbers as a Wings goalie as well? I mean we both KNOW Manny wasn't any good right? You'd never know it if you just looked at his record tho.

For the record, I do actually believe Ozzie belongs in the Hall... but not now, a long time from now after generational talents from his same era have already gotten in.

*shrug* :)

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Re Grabovski's comments: So he didn't like how Carlyle used him. That's perfectly understandable. Did he still play hard and do a good job playing a mostly defensive role on the 3rd or 4th line, despite his unhappiness with his usage?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I really hope so because I'm a huge Jarnkrok fan, I just expect him to get the couple-of-years-as-a-3rd-liner-then-maybe-some-time-on-a-top-6-wing routine that has happened to the likes of Franzen, Hudler, Flip, even Z/ D did their time, etc. 3 years from Europe -> top 6 C in the NHL is scary fast progress in Detroit Red Wings world.

I think that's fairly apt, Eternal Sunshine. Lecavalier would have also provided essential leadership and experience to the team. A locker room of leaders has always lead to a tradition of success for this franchise. My expectations for Jarnkrok, however, remain fairly high.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Re Grabovski's comments: So he didn't like how Carlyle used him. That's perfectly understandable. Did he still play hard and do a good job playing a mostly defensive role on the 3rd or 4th line, despite his unhappiness with his usage?

The Grabovski apologists will say he did but the answer is he sulked and in numerous games he was stapled to the bench. That's where I stopped being a fan of his. The comments today just cemented my opinion.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Okay, he was a little better than Greg Stefan.

That having been said, do you really think it's a coincidence that "Meltdown Manny" Legace put up ridiculously good numbers as a Wings goalie as well? I mean we both KNOW Manny wasn't any good right? You'd never know it if you just looked at his record tho.

For the record, I do actually believe Ozzie belongs in the Hall... but not now, a long time from now after generational talents from his same era have already gotten in.

*shrug* :)

I'm not hung up on the hall thing. He is borderline at best. I just hate when when fans,especially Wings fans,talk about him as if he was a barely above replacement player. He wasn't just a product of stacked all time great teams. He wasn't flashy,he didn't have a sick mask and got a lot of undeserved flack because that's what happens in Detroit, blame the goalie. I'm just a big goalie fanndefending my boy. I always seem to have the goalie's back from the days of getting into a fight on the playground defending Timmy Cheveldae till now. ;)

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I'm not hung up on the hall thing. He is borderline at best. I just hate when when fans,especially Wings fans,talk about him as if he was a barely above replacement player. He wasn't just a product of stacked all time great teams. He wasn't flashy,he didn't have a sick mask and got a lot of undeserved flack because that's what happens in Detroit, blame the goalie. I'm just a big goalie fanndefending my boy. I always seem to have the goalie's back from the days of getting into a fight on the playground defending Timmy Cheveldae till now. ;)

You do realize you're talking to the girl who was slinging Dryden/Tony O highlights around here huh? :) #GoalieFetish

Edit: Also Tim got a bum rap; he was a very good goalie for a team that didn't play defense.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Not signing players in fear of what prospects may or may not contribute is not a good recipe for success. Besides, in this particular scenario, I'd rather take the chance at Lecavalier while Datsyuk and Zetterberg are performing optimally. It shows a commitment to winning which is a vibe I haven't received from management in recent seasons. I understand we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, but Zetterberg and Datsyuk are not getting younger. I'm not suggesting we mortgage the future of our franchise, but signing VL4 would have made our team much better in the next 2 seasons.

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or if you misread my post / my post was unclear, but we both have the same line of thinking and are in agreement on this topic.

I think that's fairly apt, Eternal Sunshine. Lecavalier would have also provided essential leadership and experience to the team. A locker room of leaders has always lead to a tradition of success for this franchise. My expectations for Jarnkrok, however, remain fairly high.

Yeah, exactly.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I would get SportsBallChic to be your campaign manager. She's doing a hell of a job with the GDT voting. Maybe Bench can write a jingle and Flashy can can make posters. Me and the rest of the anti-holland crew will post up outside voting booths strong arming votes.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I would get SportsBallChic to be your campaign manager. She's doing a hell of a job with the GDT voting. Maybe Bench can write a jingle and Flashy can can make posters. Me and the rest of the anti-holland crew will post up outside voting booths strong arming votes.

"Ask not what the Detroit Red Wings can do for Ken Holland. Ask what Ken Holland can do for the Detroit Red Wings."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
too bad about those comments really,i'll be pretty surprised if the Wings pursue him all that seriously after that

I still want him but the Wings are incredibly stubborn about things like that

Toronto is gonna give Weiss gobs of money now too with Grabovski gone

Wings are gonna end up with someone like Cullen at best if they get anyone at all

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I don't know if you are agreeing with me or if you misread my post / my post was unclear, but we both have the same line of thinking and are in agreement on this topic.

Yeah, exactly.

isnt the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth more then 2 in the bush" Vinny could have been our bird in hand

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Wings can't be afraid to sign a guy that rips his former coach, who everyone agrees misused him, after being bought out of a his contract. Can't just sign boy scouts.

4 years, $4.5MM would be great. Holland is probably going to go for 3 years, $5MM.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
too bad about those comments really,i'll be pretty surprised if the Wings pursue him all that seriously after that

I still want him but the Wings are incredibly stubborn about things like that

Toronto is gonna give Weiss gobs of money now too with Grabovski gone

Wings are gonna end up with someone like Cullen at best if they get anyone at all

You guys don't want passion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad