Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
Isles fan here,

Any insight on these two players (while ignoring contracts please)?

My opinion on Kulemin is he's a decent checking forward, but nothing to write home about. I think he's a bit over-rated around these parts, but he functions as a very solid third line player. He had one incredible year with Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur on the second line where he scored 30 goals, but has never been able to find anywhere near that offense again.

Grabovski is a hard working center with a good shot and great passing ability. People say he holds on to the puck a lot as if it's a bad thing, he just doesn't give it away when there's not a play to be made. He'll play decently defensively and will probably drive possession on your team. I loved this guy on the Leafs and was sad to see him go - his last year on the Leafs he was played in a very heavily defensive role (the percentage of his starts in the defensive zone is crazy to see) and didn't generated near as much offense, which combined with his high cap hit led to the buy-out. I don't know how well he played for the Caps (just remember him having a hot start), but I think you'll like him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Both underrated severely on this forum... Grabovski is a possession driver who plays 200ft and is a good skater. Kulemin very D minded but has a wicked wrister, a BIG MAN but can also skate, can hit hard but will make the smart play instead of taking the big hit, something Leafs fans don't always like.... They also have great chemistry together

Both should see time on #2 PP and Kule will get a lot of PK time, maybe even grabo on the second unit.

Thanks for the response. To be honest, if both guys can chip in 15-20 goals while bringing a strong defensive game and work ethic, this is a huge win for the Islanders. 1M overpaid? Yes, but these guys have a history together and the Isles need to get to the floor (plus no NTCs!).

It allow Nielsen to shift to 3C which is a great spot for him and allows Strome to develop on the wing while he builds his "man-strength". Plus, this makes a forward (probably Bailey or Grabner BIG maybe on Lee) expendable for a defenseman, which after getting Halak/Johnson and Grabo/Mulemin is the last piece to our playoff puzzle.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I like Kulemin but for that price I'm glad Nonis didn't sign him. Would have been nice to get some assets for the players that eventually walked but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
no good teams wanted Grabo***

Kulemin I'm sure received plenty of calls

Were you singing his praises 4 years years ago? We had the best 2nd line when these two were together, then the Lokomotiv accident happened in the off-season and Carlyle and his inability to manage players the following season. They're very capable of playing at a high level with good teams.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Isn't it funny that the Leafs had to buyout Grabo's contract because it was untradeable and now the Isles sign him for almost the same money and he's even further removed from the years where he actually played at a level that would justify the amount.

To sell a house expeditiously, it often helps to stage it, to present it in its best light.

The leafs prefer to try to sell their chattel with dog poop covering the front lawn. Lack of curb appeal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My opinion on Kulemin is he's a decent checking forward, but nothing to write home about. I think he's a bit over-rated around these parts, but he functions as a very solid third line player. He had one incredible year with Grabovski and Clarke MacArthur on the second line where he scored 30 goals, but has never been able to find anywhere near that offense again.

Grabovski is a hard working center with a good shot and great passing ability. People say he holds on to the puck a lot as if it's a bad thing, he just doesn't give it away when there's not a play to be made. He'll play decently defensively and will probably drive possession on your team. I loved this guy on the Leafs and was sad to see him go - his last year on the Leafs he was played in a very heavily defensive role (the percentage of his starts in the defensive zone is crazy to see) and didn't generated near as much offense, which combined with his high cap hit led to the buy-out. I don't know how well he played for the Caps (just remember him having a hot start), but I think you'll like him.

Thanks for the response!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Just reading the comments in the "Free Agent Frenzy" forum about this signing, and it's hilarious. Here are a few.......

"Good signings for NYI. Kulemin puts on his helmet and goes to work- that is what you can expect.
He has every tool in the tool box; speed, shot, work ethic. What he lacks is a killer instinct. His off the puck stuff is great, he just doesnt have the self confidence to be a threat all the time in the offensive zone."

"Not bad signings and both these players will workout fine for the islanders."

"Good combo. Good signing. Underrated guys. Intense with consistent effort. Congrats Isles."

Now imagine if the Leafs had signed these two, for 9.2 million bucks combined, for the next 4 years.

I wonder if the comments would be any different??

:)

Kulemin was highly regarded around the league even when he was a Leaf. Just that Pens fans did not think he was worth Staal if you catch my drift.

Grabo was also some one people liked but after hearing about that he was the center on the best 2nd line in the NHL and had great value perhaps ppl on this forum grow tired of hearing of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
lol man I hope these two light us up just to silence posts like this.

Kulemin is a stud. He will get the freedom to do his thing in New York. Grabo is the type of player we suck at containing.

Money for Kulemin doesn't work here however his contract isn't our issue anymore.

Also, how did Grabo leave Washington in bad taste? They wanted him back. For all you advanced stats people, guess who led the team in that Corsi thingy? Grabo.

If Kulemin is a stud, I have no words.

Freedom to do his own thing? Were coaches in Toronto telling him not to be an effective offensive zone player?

Grabovski is the kind of guy who is going to skate himself into Tim Gleason, so I wouldn't be very worried about containing him.

I'm amazed at how our decade of suckage has completely warped some Leafs fans notion of what a good player is. We basically lost the equivalent of an old Mikael Renberg and a Sergei Berezin after his big goal year.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Isles fan here,

Any insight on these two players (while ignoring contracts please)?

They're both going to play in your top-6.
They'll both put up 40+ points.
They'll both be at the top of your team in +/-
They'll both lead your team in Corsi.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Thanks for the response!

Grabo is a heart and soul kind of player. Never holds back and give his all every game. He got good hands, is a good skater but have tunnel vision so he tends to overwork the puck at times.

Kulemin is a low profile hard worker with a good shot. Very solid defensively, team loyal and can be a good compliment on any line he plays on.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Very sorry to see Kulemin go. He was one of my favourite Leafs. Nice payday, though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now imagine if the Leafs had signed these two, for 9.2 million bucks combined, for the next 4 years.

I wonder if the comments would be any different??

:)

Burke signed Grabs to 5 years $27.5 mil ($5.5 mil AVV) His buyout price 2 years ago is higher than his $5 mil AAV today.
&
Kulemin for 2 year @$5.6 mil = ($2.8 mil AAV)

That is $8.3 mil combined for the Leafs and that was years ago. NYI are only taking a +$900k combined hit at today prices.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Kulemin contrary to what some say is fairly under-rated. He has top 6 scoring potential, definitely on NYI but its the other facets that round out his game that make him valuable. Highly flexible position wise (up and down 2nd-3rd, C, Wing), great on PK (I realize TO was 28th on PK but Nik was probably the best forward in a **** PK squad), good board work, great instincts, defensive first but can be a silent playmaker as well. Never flashy, Kulemin really just needed to shoot more and be used in an offensive role to get more out of him that way. His 30 goal seasons are gone but I still see him able to get close to 20G if he is used on 2nd + PK.

I agree with this. I've always been a fan of Kulemin and I think he'll be an excellent addition to the Islanders. He definitely needed a change of scenery, and I often questioned how Randy Carlyle used him here.

Depending on how he plays with, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him score 20 goals and 45+ points in New York.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
It's amusing to see Leafs scraps getting overpaid by other teams. Makes our cap management look good. Sad, I know.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks for the response. To be honest, if both guys can chip in 15-20 goals while bringing a strong defensive game and work ethic, this is a huge win for the Islanders. 1M overpaid? Yes, but these guys have a history together and the Isles need to get to the floor (plus no NTCs!).

It allow Nielsen to shift to 3C which is a great spot for him and allows Strome to develop on the wing while he builds his "man-strength". Plus, this makes a forward (probably Bailey or Grabner BIG maybe on Lee) expendable for a defenseman, which after getting Halak/Johnson and Grabo/Mulemin is the last piece to our playoff puzzle.

These are pretty realistic expectations if they are given some good playing time. Both players have had multiple seasons like that.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Kulemin getting Bozak money, you can't compare the two at all when you talk about contribution to the team. Bozak's deal looks quite nice now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With the raising cap more and more budget teams playing at the Cap floor are required to overspend on contracts now in the new CBA just to spend enough on players to reach the cap floor bare minimum spending.

NYI's after these contracts have 22 players under contract and >$15 mil spare cap space.

Contracts on these teams don't mean much in the big picture because they still have loads of free cap space thereafter so they aren't hurting competitiveness.

In comparison Leafs only have 14 players under contract (- 8 less than NYI) and about the same cap space remaining.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
With the raising cap more and more budget teams playing at the Cap floor are required to overspend on contracts now in the new CBA just to spend enough on players to reach the cap floor bare minimum spending.

NYI's after these contracts have 22 players under contract and >$15 mil spare cap space.

Contracts on these teams don't mean much in the big picture because they still have loads of free cap space thereafter so they aren't hurting competitiveness.

In comparison Leafs only have 14 players under contract (- 8 less than NYI) and about the same cap space remaining.

100% True.

That said, the Leafs and other teams who spend to the cap are still overpaying for guys. Which becomes a much bigger issue when you have multiple guys like that and capped out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
100% True.

That said, the Leafs and other teams who spend to the cap are still overpaying for guys. Which becomes a much bigger issue when you have multiple guys like that.

Bad contracts on Salary Cap ceiling teams hurt teams ability to sign and add players without cap space and directly effect team competitiveness.

Florida started yesterday $19 mil below the cap floor so it made little difference if they paid Bolland $5 or $5.5 mil or $6 mil per just to get to the floor.. The Leafs couldn't afford to give Bolland that deal as every penny counts when you have limited cap space available and numerous players to sign to complete your team.

Leafs compliance bought out Grabs when his contract was similar to today because they needed his cap space for other players and Leafs couldn't really pay Kully >$4 mil, but to the NYI its has little to no effect in terms of cap management and spending.

Even after all Florida and NYI spending on former Leafs it just takes them above the cap floor and still among the lowest spending teams.

NYI could offer sheet PK Subban $12-$14 mil a season as a RFA and still have no cap issues even with the signings of Grabs and Kully today.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bad contract on Salary Cap ceiling teams hurt teams ability to sign and add players without cap space.

Florida started yesterday $19 mil below the cap floor so it made little difference if they paid Bolland $5 or $5.5 mil just to get to the floor.. The Leafs couldn't afford to give Bolland that deal as every penny counts when you have limited cap space available an numerous players to sign to complete your team.

Leafs compliance bought out Grabs when his contract was similar to today because they needed his cap space for other players and Leafs couldn't really pay Kully >$4 mil, but to the NYI its has little to no effect.

Even after all Florida and NYI spending on former Leafs it just takes them above the cap floor and still among the lowest spending teams.

NYI could offer sheet PK Subban $12-$14 mil a season as a RFA and still have no cap issues even with the signings of Grabs and Kully today.

This is why you draft your core first.
Barkov/Huberdeau/Bjugstad/Ekblad/Gudbransson all on ELCs.
So your core is cheap. Sign vets while they mature and they're contracts will be up by the time your core is ready to get paid.
Also during this time you are drafting the players that will replace the Bolland's,Thorntons etc. who will be on ELCs to now support the mature core. They learned, now they teach.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Burke signed Grabs to 5 years $27.5 mil ($5.5 mil AVV) His buyout price 2 years ago is higher than his $5 mil AAV today.
&
Kulemin for 2 year @$5.6 mil = ($2.8 mil AAV)

That is $8.3 mil combined for the Leafs and that was years ago. NYI are only taking a +$900k combined hit at today prices.

Yup. And they both underperformed badly and were nowhere close to worth what we were paying them.

Someone else's problem now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad