Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Just beautiful. What are you guys smokin. Grabo is garbage. Everywhere he goes he leaves in bad taste. He may score a few goals against us but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Kully is way over paid. These guys got paid day one money at the end of day two. I love Snow, he makes all the other GM's look brilliant. Hahahahahaha

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Isles have to overpay to get players to come here unfortunately. Of course, most FA's get more than expected and it doesn't matter much with us since we were scraping the salary cap floor. Curious to hear what you guys think of these 2 despite the salaries. Thanks!

Kulemin contrary to what some say is fairly under-rated. He has top 6 scoring potential, definitely on NYI but its the other facets that round out his game that make him valuable. Highly flexible position wise (up and down 2nd-3rd, C, Wing), great on PK (I realize TO was 28th on PK but Nik was probably the best forward in a **** PK squad), good board work, great instincts, defensive first but can be a silent playmaker as well. Never flashy, Kulemin really just needed to shoot more and be used in an offensive role to get more out of him that way. His 30 goal seasons are gone but I still see him able to get close to 20G if he is used on 2nd + PK.

Grabovski it may be better to get capitals opinions but from what I know of him when he was here... hes a skilled smallish center that really cant be anything other than 2C to which he can perform adequately. Never found him to be exceptional on the PP and he is ineffective in a PK or checking role.

both salary and term are awful but like you said NYI has to pay even for leftover UFAs (don't worry TO isn't that much different). Its almost good in a way Kulemin got so much, it makes me less depressed about losing him.

buttman*

Got to make room for that $5.25M elite stud David Clarkson!

Clarkson deal is bad. Leaf fans don't deny that, but these are just as bad.

Funny thing though, Clarkson was coming off a 30 goal season and 15 goals in the lock-out shortened season. Kulemin is coming off 7, 7, and 9 goals in the last 3 years.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Kulemin could score 30 if he played with Tavares

Both players were not Carlyle players.

Big chance they get played in big roles with NYI which is how they shine.

And all these people say Grabo is bad defensively, but then why is he perennially near or at the top of his teams +/-?

2009-2010 = +3 for 3rd on the team behind Carl Gunnarson and Ponikarovsky
2010-2011 = +14 to lead the team in +/- by a wide margin... WIDE margin.
2011-2012 = 0 to be near the top. MacArthur led the team at +3. Lombardi -19
2012-2013 = -10 bottom of team and oh, by the way, RANDY CARLYLE.
2013-2014 = +6 for 4th on the team. 2nd and 3rd tied at +7. Penner with +25.

Grabo is good defensively, and the NYI will let him play a big role where he likes to be. Kulemin is also a great defensive forward who only fell off in production because of Carlyle. End of story. Nevermind the $$$. Perfect fit for the NYI. Both players are going to have great seasons there.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Id still rather have Kulie at that contract then bloody Clarkson :shakehead

I honestly think if hes given constant top 6 minutes & power play time he could pot 20-25 next season

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
*softly sobs into my Kulemin jersey*

That's a pretty nuts amount of money for him though.

:( :( :(....

RIP

kulemin3rd.jpg

Will still rock this proudly as I expect him to do well.

buttman*

Kulemin contrary to what some say is fairly under-rated. He has top 6 scoring potential, definitely on NYI but its the other facets that round out his game that make him valuable. Highly flexible position wise (up and down 2nd-3rd, C, Wing), great on PK (I realize TO was 28th on PK but Nik was probably the best forward in a **** PK squad), good board work, great instincts, defensive first but can be a silent playmaker as well. Never flashy, Kulemin really just needed to shoot more and be used in an offensive role to get more out of him that way. His 30 goal seasons are gone but I still see him able to get close to 20G if he is used on 2nd + PK.

Grabovski it may be better to get capitals opinions but from what I know of him when he was here... hes a skilled smallish center that really cant be anything other than 2C to which he can perform adequately. Never found him to be exceptional on the PP and he is ineffective in a PK or checking role.

both salary and term are awful but like you said NYI has to pay even for leftover UFAs (don't worry TO isn't that much different). Its almost good in a way Kulemin got so much, it makes me less depressed about losing him.

Kulemin is not under-rated and has 23 goals in the last 3 years. I have seen plenty of Nik over his career and he does not have that spark anymore. Ever since Tim Gleason one-punched him he has lost a lot of the mojo necessary to play this game.

Hopefully a reunion with Grabo will help but this guy is not under-rated. You simply cannot under rate a 7 goal scorer.

Grabo is a great skater but does not play well in traffic. He gets hit, and hit hard.

buttman*

Both players were not Carlyle players.

Big chance they get played in big roles with NYI which is how they shine.

And all these people say Grabo is bad defensively, but then why is he perennially near or at the top of his teams +/-?

2009-2010 = +3 for 3rd on the team behind Carl Gunnarson and Ponikarovsky
2010-2011 = +14 to lead the team in +/- by a wide margin... WIDE margin.
2011-2012 = 0 to be near the top. MacArthur led the team at +3. Lombardi -19
2012-2013 = -10 bottom of team and oh, by the way, RANDY CARLYLE.
2013-2014 = +6 for 4th on the team. 2nd and 3rd tied at +7. Penner with +25.

Grabo is good defensively, and the NYI will let him play a big role where he likes to be. Kulemin is also a great defensive forward who only fell off in production because of Carlyle. End of story. Nevermind the $$$. Perfect fit for the NYI. Both players are going to have great seasons there.

Blaming Carlyle is sad. Carlyle has only been here 2 years. Kulemin has averaged just over 7 goals for 3 years.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Blaming Carlyle is sad. Carlyle has only been here 2 years. Kulemin has averaged just over 7 goals for 3 years.

I don't make a habit of it, but the reality is that there are Carlyle players, and the ones who aren't leave town. Grabos exit interview is quite clear.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Grabs is still living off his Leaf buyout.

He is getting ~$1.8 mil from Toronto per year for the next 8 years still.

If Grabs is worth this money to the Isles they should have just grabbed him last summer when he was on waivers. Hahaha.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You guys crack me up. Grabo is the most selfish player in the NHL. He sees no one else out there. Kully was going fine until he got his nose broke by Gleason and since then he is a shadow of his former self. No other team wanted them but NYI. That should say everything.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
When you consider Bolland got 5.5x5 and Clarkson got 5.25x7 in free agency... these are both solid deals.

Overpayment on both maybe by .5 million but can you not say the same about any other free agent that isn't taking a good deal to play for a cup?

Islanders just got much better.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Being a free agent in the NHL is one of the most foolproof 'get rich quick' schemes out there.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Toronto and NYI were separated by only 5 points last year 84 to 79.

NYI lost JT for over 20 games to injury.

These two teams are not that far apart in overall standings.

They also had Thomas Vanek and Andrew McDonald, who were a large part of those points they amassed. They are no longer there.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Just beautiful. What are you guys smokin. Grabo is garbage. Everywhere he goes he leaves in bad taste. He may score a few goals against us but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Kully is way over paid. These guys got paid day one money at the end of day two. I love Snow, he makes all the other GM's look brilliant. Hahahahahaha

lol man I hope these two light us up just to silence posts like this.

Kulemin is a stud. He will get the freedom to do his thing in New York. Grabo is the type of player we suck at containing.

Money for Kulemin doesn't work here however his contract isn't our issue anymore.

Also, how did Grabo leave Washington in bad taste? They wanted him back. For all you advanced stats people, guess who led the team in that Corsi thingy? Grabo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad