Grabo - Cheer or Boo ?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Did I miss the year Grabovski put the team on his back and win the Cup? Because with the way some people are talking in here, you'd think the guy has been some saviour for the Leafs organization and was wronged by them to the point that it should be considered criminal.

You'd also think that he wasn't bought out, the ultimate low for any player in any professional sport.

It really is crazy.

GenericFan2*

Neither. Would you cheer Jason Blake? Or Matt Stajan? That's how I feel about it.

I wouldn't boo him, personally. However, I do think he will get it from other fans just because of the big stink he made following his departure.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
You'd also think that he wasn't bought out, the ultimate low for any player in any professional sport.

It really is crazy.

I don't know man, if you offer me to pay me 2/3 of my salary over the course of the next 4 years, and at the same time allow me to look for a new job that could potentially see me make as much or more, I will take it in a heart-beat.

There's no shame and pride in sports contracts. There are numbers and contract lengths. The pride and shame come in the field/court/ice, not via a phone call through the agent.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

It really is crazy.

Yeah, I'm sure that lowered salary cap had absolutely no bearing on the decision to buy him out, right?

Crazy indeed.

And to be clear, just because you've landed a contract doesn't mean you have to stop working to earn that contract. Not saying that Grabo didn't try hard but he wouldn't have been in the position he was in if he had showed up from the start of the season and played like he is capable of playing. It's a bit of unlucky circumstance that he was struggling at the beginning of a shortened season but in reality, sometimes you just have to learn how to adapt quickly otherwise your usefulness begins to lessen.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
And to be clear, just because you've landed a contract doesn't mean you have to stop working to earn that contract. Not saying that Grabo didn't try hard but he wouldn't have been in the position he was in if he had showed up from the start of the season and played like he is capable of playing. It's a bit of unlucky circumstance that he was struggling at the beginning of a shortened season but in reality, sometimes you just have to learn how to adapt quickly otherwise your usefulness begins to lessen.

That's something useful for anyone in a competitive work environment to keep in mind, yes. But I think it's equally true that work environments that make snap decisions about talent based on really small sample sizes sometimes make personnel decisions that aren't in their long-term best interests.

Also, just to keep the facts straight: Grabo averaged a point-per-game in the first five when he was on a line with JVR. Once Lupul went down, lines were juggled, and Grabo had a five-game dry spell, the lines got rearranged, and that was the end of him in a scoring role. So, it's not like he showed up out of shape or unmotivated. Bad roster luck and an ill-timed slump, more like.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
That's something useful for anyone in a competitive work environment to keep in mind, yes. But I think it's equally true that work environments that make snap decisions about talent based on really small sample sizes sometimes make personnel decisions that aren't in their long-term best interests.

Also, just to keep the facts straight: Grabo averaged a point-per-game in the first five when he was on a line with JVR. Once Lupul went down, lines were juggled, and Grabo had a five-game dry spell, the lines got rearranged, and that was the end of him in a scoring role. So, it's not like he showed up out of shape or unmotivated. Bad roster luck and an ill-timed slump, more like.

And what kind of information or relationship with the Leafs organization do you have to have the opinion that it was a snap decision that was made? It's obvious that the lowered salary cap forced the team to make a decision on who they feel has more to contribute to the kind of team and system they're trying to build. Outlier circumstances that force that kind of decision doesn't necessarily imply that the decision was made in haste or made without serious consideration to the pros and cons of all possible alternatives.

You're beating a point to death when it isn't even necessary. People who support or who have come to terms with Grabovski's buyout haven't belittle his abilities or potential. They just understand and acknowledge that the factors that make his buyout understandable. It sucks for him but life ain't roses and rainbows. There's no doubt in my mind that if Kadri hadn't had such a great year, no way would Grabo be bought out. Grabo's struggles and big contract coupled with a lowered salary cap and Kadri's emergence all forced the discussion of which 1-2 tandem you go with. Bozak isn't a hindrance to his line. He is able to act as a defensive anchor for his linemates. He's reliable in the face-off circle especially in his own end, he is an important guy on the PK and if there's one guy on the PK that can play aggressively and score you a SH goal, it's Tyler Bozak. He's not flashy and he isn't as offensively gifted but perhaps it's the smaller details to his game that made the team want him back. Then you look at Kadri and you consider if his current skill and future potential make it worth letting go of a player like Grabo. To Nonis, the answer was 'yes'.

Considering only the future can validate any of these buyout concerns makes it rather overkill that people are still whining about it. I wouldn't boo him personally but if someone chose to, who the hell cares? Grabo worked hard during his years in Toronto and guess what? He was well compensated with millions of dollars for his effort. People should get off their soap boxes and stop acting like people should behave a certain way towards him.

And I'm pretty sure I kept my facts straight when I acknowledged that unlucky circumstances are partly involved in Grabo's struggles.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Just to keep the facts straight should mean that you present the facts. Lupul was hurt in game 3 of the season. Then Grabo got 3 of his 5 points in his 4th and 5th games of the season to cap off his 5 points in 5 games start to the season. The line shuffling seem to have benefited Grabo in the next two that followed as he put up 3 points then put up goose eggs in the next 8 games.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't know man, if you offer me to pay me 2/3 of my salary over the course of the next 4 years, and at the same time allow me to look for a new job that could potentially see me make as much or more, I will take it in a heart-beat.

There's no shame and pride in sports contracts. There are numbers and contract lengths. The pride and shame come in the field/court/ice, not via a phone call through the agent.

Just for clarification he is paid 1/3 of his buyout a season over the next 8 years.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How many forwards per team? 12-14
How many teams in the league? 30
How many players in the first line? 3

So, a little math:

There are between 360 - 420 forwards in the league on any given night.
There are a total of 90 first line spots available.
Therefore 75% - 78.6% of all forwards are made to play in roles which do not necessarily maximize their offensive production.

I liked Grabovsky as a player, particularly his speed and his ability to end plays with an offensive zone face-off. For that, I was grateful. However, he did not stay in Toronto long enough to have a real impact, he was not a captain or alternate captain, he was never even close to being the team's best offensive player and he was never even close to being the team's best defensive player, not even best defensive forward.

I don't see any reason to cheer for someone who was here for a few seasons, left on terrible terms after the first of a 5 year deal which sees him make, essentially, 14.7 million over the next 8 years plus whatever contract he signs in the meantime.

It was a business decision and he took it personally. Normally, I'd be more understanding, but the compensation really makes it hard. Nevertheless, he is not a player I would boo based on events that have happened as of today. It's not as if he quit on the team for half a season and magically doubled in production once he was moved.
That's why I wasn't surprised that he was bought out. He simply costs much @ $5.5 million. Our top line is strong while Kadri is a much more skilled/ cheaper centre. I have a feeling that he is eventually going to be that guy Carlyle depends on heavily to shut down top lines. Much like Giroux, Gilmour and Keon before him.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I'm sure the cap going down by $6M had nothing to do with that.

Yeah, I'm sure that lowered salary cap had absolutely no bearing on the decision to buy him out, right?

Crazy indeed.

He wouldn't have been bought if we didn't have a compliance buyout, sure.

Doesn't take the fact away that it is still a low point in Grabovski's career, no doubt.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I cheer him for the great entertaining moments he brought me. Vs Chara w game winning goal included. OT goal vs Montreal.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I cheer him for the great entertaining moments he brought me. Vs Chara w game winning goal included. OT goal vs Montreal.

This.

That game vs Boston when he scored two goals was nothing short of phenomenal. I will cheer for any guy who plays the game like that. Fearless

Its not always about a player taking their team to a new level, its about how you play the game

mrheat*

This.

That game vs Boston when he scored two goals was nothing short of phenomenal. I will cheer for any guy who plays the game like that. Fearless

Its not always about a player taking their team to a new level, its about how you play the game

actually, im pretty sure it is about taking your team to a new level.. its called winning the stanley cup.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
actually, im pretty sure it is about taking your team to a new level.. its called winning the stanley cup.

1 Cup, 30 teams. This isnt the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore.

Grabo isnt a 1st line center, he is a solid 2nd line center who plays the game the right way. I will cheer for any ex-Leaf who gave it his all for the team. Grabo did that

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/26/mcclement-personified-new-look-leafs-last-season

Kulemin tips his Cap

There will be someone other than Alex Ovechkin for the Leafs to watch the first time they meet the Washington Capitals this year. Count on Mikhail Grabovski being in a feisty mood come Nov. 23 at the ACC, but long-time pal Kulemin is please his friend finally found work many weeks after the Leafs bought him out.

“We’re very close and I said congratulations on a new contract and good luck to him with the new team,†Kulemin said.

Has he circled Nov. 23?

“I don’t check the schedule yet,†Kulemin said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m going to have to play hardâ€

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
This is very true. Grabovski possesses a very different skillset offensively in comparison to Ribeiro. Trying to replace a playmaking center with one who opts to shoot first shouldn't bring about ideal results. Grabovski just doesn't have the offensive acumen and vision to come close to putting up 80 points.

The selfish, low-hockey-IQed, shoot-first center has 5 assists in his last 2 preseason games.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The selfish, low-hockey-IQed, shoot-first center has 5 assists in his last 2 preseason games.

There's not much point in arguing about it now, time will tell what a wonderful move it was to ditch a legitimate top-6 talent to pay Sideshow Dave and Phil's puppet 9.45M for the next 5 looong years.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
We are talking about Grabo and not Kadri....as that is a different matter.

He did not like the role he was given as seen by his rant that you and other dismissed.....well I did not dismiss it as he spoke his true feelings then..as he no longer had a vested interest in the team.

"More chances come if we're going to play against different lines, but that's not my role right now," he said, sounding slightly defiant. "It doesn't mean it's my best, what I can do, but that's what the team needs right now." Does this sound like a happy and content player? Or does it sound more like I suggested a person who values himself by his own personal stats and not that of the team?

I will ignore the last paragraph of your post as I know the direction you are going with it.....and I'm not interested!

Actually that just sounds like a player who knows he's not a third line player but more of an offensive player, yet still accepting the role he was given.

mr grieves

May 21, 2011
There's not much point in arguing about it now, time will tell what a wonderful move it was to ditch a legitimate top-6 talent to pay Sideshow Dave and Phil's puppet 9.45M for the next 5 looong years.

Not arguing about it. Just marking time :)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have no reason to boo Grabovski, however he did seem to take it personally with his comments about the team after he was bought out. It reminded me of Colby Armstrong because both seem to be insulted at being bought out, with their comments after it happened. Although from a business side it had to be done for Nonis to make the type of signings he did, plus since he didn't re-sign Grabovski to that 5 year contract it's not like he owed him anything because of that.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I wont Boo.

Why the hell would I cheer for someone not playing for the Leafs. The only exLeaf I would have done that for is Sundin.

I hate these stupid welcome back games. Screw Tucker, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad