Value of: Grabner to the Blues

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Blues could really use some help at the 2RW spot for the rest of the season and Grabner would be a nice add next to Steen-Stastny. I am admittedly ignorant to the Rangers’ needs or if Grabner would even be available, more just interested in gauging the value.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If NYR are out of contention around the trade deadline, I would guess a pick in the 2-4 range depending on how well he's performing and what the market looks like. Otherwise, I don't really see anything that would make sense in a swap of roster players unless there was some solid prospect included that NYR couldn't turn down. He an important piece to the team with his speed and defense. Goals are gravy on top of all that stuff.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah his speed and goal scoring would be nice to add for the Blues middle 6. Id be happy for the Blues to pay that price to add him.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
2nd line might be asking a bit much of Grabner, but he can definitely fill in in a pinch. Maybe 2018 2nd + checking winger prospect (someone in the mold of Jesper Fast)?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
2nd line might be asking a bit much of Grabner, but he can definitely fill in in a pinch. Maybe 2018 2nd + checking winger prospect (someone in the mold of Jesper Fast)?

If the Blues were giving up a young, winger prospect in the mold of Jesper Fast...why are they including a second as well? We’re talking about Grabner, right?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Blues could really use some help at the 2RW spot for the rest of the season and Grabner would be a nice add next to Steen-Stastny. I am admittedly ignorant to the Rangers’ needs or if Grabner would even be available, more just interested in gauging the value.
He is available IMO right now, since that would increase production being received and the price paid.
Like everyone else, we want picks and prospects, the more blue chip, the better.

Competition expected to drive up price, your $ as good as anyone else.

The issue is we expect a 1st as a base, but we understand you don't have a 1st this year.

Not looking so much for existing players, but would consider with an open mind.

What do you have...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
While he is not all dimensional in his game, his speed, scoring, and ridiculously low cap hit COMMAND a 1st at min, and competition will drive this up slightly.

There was talk about EDM might be buyers at
Strome + 2018 2nd
for
Grabner + NYR 4th and 7th

What does St. Lou have available that tops that?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
While he is not all dimensional in his game, his speed, scoring, and ridiculously low cap hit COMMAND a 1st at min, and competition will drive this up slightly.

Strome + 2018 2nd
for

Not trying to derail you here, but why do the Rangers want Strome?

Dude is a bust.

STL should easily be able to top that. Rangers need NHL ready (for next season) wing and LHD prospect depth. Draft picks always good too. Really don't want to lose Grabner though. Would need a good offer.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If the Blues were giving up a young, winger prospect in the mold of Jesper Fast...why are they including a second as well? We’re talking about Grabner, right?

OP was interested in gauging value. A (likely very late) 2nd round pick + a prospect that doesn't have top 6 upside for a player that will help them compete now isn't an outlandish request, is it?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not trying to derail you here, but why do the Rangers want Strome?

Dude is a bust.

STL should easily be able to top that. Rangers need NHL ready (for next season) wing and LHD prospect depth. Draft picks always good too. Really don't want to lose Grabner though. Would need a good offer.

Agree we want better than Strome, but it shows the market.
Also, Strome might be salvageable, the same way Benoit Allaire is working on reclamation project Pavlec.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Strome + 2018 2nd
for

Edmonton doesn't offer that. St.louis doesn't need to top it. Easy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Agree we want better than Strome, but it shows the market.
Also, Strome might be salvageable, the same way Benoit Allaire is working on reclamation project Pavlec.
Allaire is a goalie coach. Strome is a Forward that cant score or skate.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania

I’d say something around and A 2nd and a medium ceiling prospect

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I just hope if Grabner is on the table the Rangers are getting more than just a second. He's gonna score 25 plus goals (with no pp time) again at basically no cap hit whatsoever and also plays a responsible two way game/strong pk guy.
If teams are gonna offer a very low prospect and a low pick like third or 4th rounder its a no brainer to keep him

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
How are the Rangers for D prospects? I would offer one of LD Jake Walman, or RD Jordan Schmaltz. Forward prospects Ivan Barbashev and Samuel Blais are also probably available.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
How are the Rangers for D prospects? I would offer one of LD Jake Walman, or RD Jordan Schmaltz. Forward prospects Ivan Barbashev and Samuel Blais are also probably available.

If the blues were offering up those prospects I feel like they can do better than Grabner.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Grabner is on pace for another 25+ goal scoring season on a dirt cheap cap hit.

A weapon short handed as his separation speed is a notch behind a guy like McDavid.

You want that kind of player, be prepared to pay an above normal price for it.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Grabner is on pace for another 25+ goal scoring season on a dirt cheap cap hit.

A weapon short handed as his separation speed is a notch behind a guy like McDavid.

You want that kind of player, be prepared to pay an above normal price for it.

Before he joined the rangers he was averaging 10-20 goals a year for about 5 years. He's already 30 so his legs don't have much time left and as soon as he loses his legs he loses his career. He's definitely not worth a first or a good prospect.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Before he joined the rangers he was averaging 10-20 goals a year for about 5 years. He's already 30 so his legs don't have much time left and as soon as he loses his legs he loses his career. He's definitely not worth a first or a good prospect.

He absolutely is to contenders that need scoring + PK.

Nobody gives a damn what he was producing “years ago”. Nor how his legs will hold up in the future.

This is a what have you done for me now league, and right now, Grabner is a 25+ goal scoring veteran who’s a beast on the PK. And he’s affordable.

1st or [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Grabner is a tough one to get a fair trade out of. He definitely isn't a top 6 winger, but hes a pretty elite bottom 6 guy. Wont' make his linemates better in the slightest but hes an excellent PKer who is the master of broken plays and springing himself on a breakaway. He isn't going to be a guy at the top of any teams prime targets to trade for, but if the Rangers are making him available he is also the type of guy who can find a spot on pretty much every team out there which would drive up his eventual return.

Might return a late first if there is a bidding war, could definitely see it if Rangers add a minor sweetener with a mid/late pick. Since the Rangers are likely to be fighting for a playoff spot I think a more likely return is a cost controlled, younger bottom 6 who would be a small downgrade in the present but they would hope has more(or equal) potential down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad