Grabner or Tlusty ?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
With Grabner you are going for the home run toss. Guy has the skill to be an offensive dynamo. But many players like him end up marginalized in the NHL. Others like Hemsky finaly blossum but you have to be patient. Tlusty is a solid player who should make a good pro. skates hard, goes to the body and has strong good shot. Tlusty probably a more reliable choice to play in the NHL but probably less likely to star.

i dunno guys. grabner certainly has the skill to be a top line sniper, but from what i have seen of him when he still was back in austria, he brings more to the table than offense only. i have seen him backcheck, killing penalties, blocking shots, playing physical and getting his nose dirty. at the time i thought that if he makes it big, he might be a very valuable third liner one day, because he seemed to be such a gritty and well rounded player. now he has obviously developed the offensive side of his game better, but i don't think the rest of his game is lost. so if he fails to make a scoring impact in the nhl, he might still be a very usefull player on the lower lines, thats my opinion.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Now I'm not gonna compare the 2 as I haven't really seen either play.. but I think everyone can agree that Grabner was the better choice for the Canucks considering their lack of anything remotely close to a sniper in the prospect ranks going into the last draft.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Now I'm not gonna compare the 2 as I haven't really seen either play.. but I think everyone can agree that Grabner was the better choice for the Canucks considering their lack of anything remotely close to a sniper in the prospect ranks going into the last draft.

Agreed!

Grabner is a very good talent. I'm a Leafs fan and I'm being really honest here, I was really a big fan of Grabner before the draft and I told everyone that if Jiri Tlusty, Michal Frolik, and Peter Mueller were not available come the Leafs pick I want Grabner, even though in everyone's eyes he would be a reach at that time.

Vancouver has taken a fine prospect after a long time. Their prospect pool is one of the most shallowest in the league if you ask me. Grabner is really someone they need because they have such a lack of offense.

With the Leafs it was about picking the best player available. We saw a solid two-way player, who has the potential to be a good scorer, and we took him. His name is Jiri Tlusty.

I've seen him play and Grabner IMO compares to a Martin Havlat ( His offensive skill is eerily similar )

I've only seen Tlusty play on one occasion but from what I've read he compares to players like Patrick Elias/Marion Hossa. ( Stressing his scoring/two-way ability )

I'm not going to make any false claims on Grabner but I'll say what I know at the draft time. He was only considered a scorer with no defense. Things might have changed now as I've read posters saying that he's playing much grittier and also playing on the PK. Good stuff!

In the end, the Leafs picked the best player available in Tlusty. No real scouting done at that time. It was the obvious selection. However, if JFJ would have taken Chris Stewart I would have e-mailed him and called him a fool!

The Canucks made a shrewd move by reaching for Grabner. A good move! Sometimes making the surprise selection works. I give Nonis credit for that.

P.S - Seriously, there are soo many players I hype up before the draft and they become steals later on. I should be an Internet Scout! :D JFJ if you're reading this...;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad