Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Grabner vs. Okposo
Grabner vs. Sheppard

Who is better?

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
I just came from the Pogge / Schneider thread and tried to turn down the homerism by OBJECTIVELY critiquing both (seen both WJC last year - I live in Van) and calling them EQUAL for now.

But here, come on now people .....

Tlusty >> Grabner

Tlusty's goal-scoring ability may not be what Grabner's is but it's not SO far off and Tlusty is a better all-round player and,in particular, better skater and passer and I've read that Grabner shys away from the boardwork and, having seen Tlusty on tv and a number of video reels, he does not.

Remember when the Oiler's reached down the draft board to take a "pure sniper" (as Grabner's been called) in Michael Henrich from Barrie? How'd that turn out for them? I have to admit I thought of him when the Canucks went off the board for Grabner. Ty Wishart (B.C. Boy) would have been a much better pick for the organization at the #14 pick IMO I'm not suggesting Grabner will be a bust but Tlusty is very much the better all-round prospect.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I just came from the Pogge / Schneider thread and tried to turn down the homerism by OBJECTIVELY critiquing both (seen both WJC last year - I live in Van) and calling them EQUAL for now.

Tlusty >> Grabner

Tlusty's goal-scoring ability may not be what Grabner's is but it's not SO far off and Tlusty is a better all-round player and,in particular, better skater and passer and I've read that Grabner shys away from the boardwork and, having seen Tlusty on tv and a number of video reels, he does not.

Remember when the Oiler's reached down the draft board to take a "pure sniper" (as Grabner's been called) in Michael Henrich from Barrie? How'd that turn out for them? I have to admit I thought of him when the Canucks went off the board for Grabner. Ty Wishart (B.C. Boy) would have been a much better pick for the organization at the #14 pick IMO I'm not suggesting Grabner will be a bust but Tlusty is very much the better all-round prospect.

Tlusty is not a better skater, there is very few propects in the world that are better skaters than Grabner. Grabner doesn't shy away from boardwork, I don't know where you read that, because every Chiefs fan I've talked to have told me that he goes into the corners, lays out hits, and goes to the net. Grabner isn't nearly as one dimensional as some people are suggesting, he's got areas he needs to work on but he's by no means one dimensional.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London

Ty Wishart MOST DEFINATELY is not the better pick than Grabner. Holy Moses. I would be pissed if Vancouver wasted a 14th pick on Wishart for so many reasons.

And Tlusty > Grabner is just not so. Rationally speaking they are at least even. Looking at the stats, Grabner is outpacing Tlusty in ppg in the more defensive oriented WHL. Ever since coming back from injury he's on a torrid pace scoring 2g's per game. He's on pace to nab the goal scoring trophy in the dub as well.

I don't understand how you can place Tlusty as a better prospect than Grabner other than homer opinions.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I really have no idea, but as a Canucks fan I think the homerism is more likely to be on our end. At the time of the draft, Tlusty was a known commodity, who could've gone top 10. Grabner was a reach that I'm sure left the majority of thinking 'who?' when he was drafted, and for Canuck fans swearing at the Leafs for taking Tlusty, the last 'good' pick, right before us.

Now so far Grabner has looked like he was the right pick, and we've pretty much all jumping on the bandwagon, but unless you actually watch both players and have a good eye for talent, I'd find the comparison questionable when just 6 or so months ago pretty much the consensus opinion of profesional scouts was that Tlusty is better.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Tlusty is not a better skater, there is very few propects in the world that are better skaters than Grabner. Grabner doesn't shy away from boardwork, I don't know where you read that, because every Chiefs fan I've talked to have told me that he goes into the corners, lays out hits, and goes to the net. Grabner isn't nearly as one dimensional as some people are suggesting, he's got areas he needs to work on but he's by no means one dimensional.

Nobody is putting Tlusty down, just for the record; he's a fantastic prospect, but like Grabner, is considered a bit of a project. Whoever said Grabner doesn't go into the corners is wrong, he plays on a team that isn't successful unless the players fight for the puck in the corners, this is no Kevin Constantine coached team, Bill Peters' coaching style is simple: effort, effort, effort. He will throw open ice hits, just ask the players that play with and against him, and we've seen him a little on the PK recently, which means that somewhere, somehow he's working on his 2-way game.

I think Michael has more upside not only because of his skillset but because all you ever hear from him is that he wants to do whatever it takes to be a Canuck, when we saw him in camp this season he was walking around in a Canucks t-shirt, wearing Canuck warm up shorts, and a Canuck hat. The drive alone in him is enough to put him above alot of other prospects.

mooseOAK*

That was before Grabner exploded late in the WHL season.

I'd find it hard to see any scouting services rank Tlusty considerably higher than Grabner right -now-.

They are still essentially the same players they were before the draft, I don't know what changed. Maybe Tlusty's stats in his first season in the CHL don't match Grabner's in his third but give him some time.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
I think Michael has more upside not only because of his skillset but because all you ever hear from him is that he wants to do whatever it takes to be a Canuck, when we saw him in camp this season he was walking around in a Canucks t-shirt, wearing Canuck warm up shorts, and a Canuck hat. The drive alone in him is enough to put him above alot of other prospects.

Wow that's kind of cool.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Ty Wishart MOST DEFINATELY is not the better pick than Grabner. Holy Moses. I would be pissed if Vancouver wasted a 14th pick on Wishart for so many reasons.

And Tlusty > Grabner is just not so. Rationally speaking they are at least even. Looking at the stats, Grabner is outpacing Tlusty in ppg in the more defensive oriented WHL. Ever since coming back from injury he's on a torrid pace scoring 2g's per game. He's on pace to nab the goal scoring trophy in the dub as well.

I don't understand how you can place Tlusty as a better prospect than Grabner other than homer opinions.
Just curious but didn't his recent scoring start to pick up once most of the top players in the league left for the World Juniors?
Secondly Grabner has had a chance to become accustomed to the NA game, whereas Tlusty has just started his first season.

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Just curious but didn't his recent scoring start to pick up once most of the top players in the league left for the World Juniors?

No, his scoring picked up when he came back from injury. I hardly think eight WHL defenseman leaving for the World Juniors had such a big impact on Grabner's play. Especially since Spokane has only played one WHL team with a d-man at the WJC (Juraj Valach) since Grabner has come back from his injury.

What a ridiculous comment.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
No, his scoring picked up when he came back from injury. I hardly think eight WHL defenseman leaving for the World Juniors had such a big impact on Grabner's play. Especially since Spokane has only played one WHL team with a d-man at the WJC (Juraj Valach) since Grabner has come back from his injury.

What a ridiculous comment.
Hence the question mark at the end of my statement.
Regardless Grabner is in his third season playing in North America, Tlusty has done pretty well for his first year. He has 3 goals in 6 AHL games , before being sent down to the Greyhounds, and has 7 goals in 13 OHL games before getting injured.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto

Tlusty was on pace to score 41 goals in the AHL, doesn't mean he was going to get that much.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Tlusty >> Grabner

You have never seen Grabner play and yet you make statements like this? Coffee calling the kettle black I think. Right now, Grabner has higher potential - and that is all we can say.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Grabner has 19 goals in 25 games.

If he kept that up for a full 82 game season that would end up being 62 GOALS SCORED :eek:

He would easily end up with the most goals scored in the Dub but since hes had a few nagging injuries maybe not this season but if he ends up getting sent down next season again then it looks like he should be able to get 60-70 goals if he can stay healthy next season.

This season 50 goals can be realistic.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
With Grabner you are going for the home run toss. Guy has the skill to be an offensive dynamo. But many players like him end up marginalized in the NHL. Others like Hemsky finaly blossum but you have to be patient. Tlusty is a solid player who should make a good pro. skates hard, goes to the body and has strong good shot. Tlusty probably a more reliable choice to play in the NHL but probably less likely to star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->