Proposal: Gostisbehere to Montreal

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Contrary to believe, the Habs are not desperate for Ghost. Now if Nurse was made available by the Oilers, I would move Gallagher for him. Not interested in a offensive minded D like Ghost who has one very good season and is a career -21. I would consider overpayment for a guy like Nurse but not a guy like Gostisbehere. We already have Mete who is a good puck mover but a smaller type D man.

Interested in Gost but I know fully well he is not a shut down D type. I rather be desperate and provide pry away value for a Nurse type vs a Gost type.

I don’t think the Habs are in the market for him either but going with the +/- isn’t the way to do it. The teams don’t line up in a trade like this.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Yes, he started at a earlier age. So are you saying Drouin at 23 should be compared to Gost at 25? I repeat, Gost has years more of maturity vs Drouin. Will Drouin close the gap in those 2 years? It's anybodies guess.

We don't have the option to see what Drouin looks like at age 25. We have to project and estimate

Both players were signed in June of 2017 at similar cap hits and exact term of 6 years. If the potential was the same and you were correct that Gost is worth more cause he plays D, he would have a higher cap hit vs Drouin don't you think?

I do think it's fair to compare the 2 of them since they have played almost the exact same amount of professional hockey.

Contract makes Gostisbehere more valuable. 4.5 million for a defensemen who can score 60 points is an absolute steal. 6 million for a forward who can score 60 points isn't as good. I'm not saying Drouin has a bad contract at all btw.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Yes, he started at a earlier age. So are you saying Drouin at 23 should be compared to Gost at 25? I repeat, Gost has years more of maturity vs Drouin. Will Drouin close the gap in those 2 years? It's anybodies guess.

We don't have the option to see what Drouin looks like at age 25. We have to project and estimate

Both players were signed in June of 2017 at similar cap hits and exact term of 6 years. If the potential was the same and you were correct that Gost is worth more cause he plays D, he would have a higher cap hit vs Drouin don't you think?

I don’t believe the problem with Drouin is a maturity issue, I believe it’s more of an entitlement, attitude and ego issues that Drouin has.

If your not listening to the coaching staff or your teammates that’s an issue.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Gostisbehere is not a for sure top pairing D man. He has very good offensive skills but his play in his own end as a D man is average at best. Certainly not known to be a shut down type D man and this means he is not a top pairing quality IMO. Drouin has issues in his game as well. Soft style but loads of skill.

What player matures more moving forward? Hard to predict. Gostisbehere has 2 years of maturity years on Drouin.

However, if the Flyers don't like how their D looks after trading Gost, then I get that. No deal that works. Habs are not adding Mete on top of Drouin. Were not adding anything
Shut down = Top pairing?

Kris Letang, Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, John Klingberg, Keith Yandle (prime maybe?), and so on would challange that statement.

————
PHI shouldn’t be trading D for F. We have enough of them and Drouin isn’t going to turn that table, but rather make a hole at D for us. Only way we could trade Ghost is what another poster above said- Top Pair RHD around the same age. Additions could be made to even it out.

Not saying the 1-1 is a bad deal, the value is probably close, but this doesn’t do anything for PHI rather than actually hurt us even more. PHI may be in the market for an elite F, but I wouldn’t call Drouin that yet. More likely in the market for offer-sheeting someone like Marner or signing Panarin if he would even come to PHI.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think the Habs are in the market for him either but going with the +/- isn’t the way to do it. The teams don’t line up in a trade like this.

+/- is a stat that is tracked for a reason. It does have some value but you have to be careful with it. All I am saying is Gostisbehere is not a shut down D type and when I look for a top 4D, that's the first thing I look for. Then I look at puck moving ability, skating mobility, and offensive vision. If they have a very good shot, you start to talk top pairing guy.

I'm interested in Ghost but do I think he deserves pry away value? NO. The only deal I consider is Drouin for Gost straight up but even then I'm thinking about it. Drouin is still young at age 23 and who knows how he looks from 25-30.

I will never drool over offensive type D man who are average at best in their own end. If they had skills like Karlsson, that's a different story. I even have concerns with Mete but in his ups and downs during his development, you do get to see that he is very smart and moves the puck well. How does this look when the games count and in the playoffs? That's where my concerns are. Gostisbehere is taller vs Mete but weight is similar. Were talking about undersized D man here that don't play physical games. You need to pair them up with a physical guy to shelter them a bit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shut down = Top pairing?

Kris Letang, Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, John Klingberg, Keith Yandle (prime maybe?), and so on would challange that statement.

————
PHI shouldn’t be trading D for F. We have enough of them and Drouin isn’t going to turn that table, but rather make a hole at D for us. Only way we could trade Ghost is what another poster above said- Top Pair RHD around the same age. Additions could be made to even it out.

Not saying the 1-1 is a bad deal, the value is probably close, but this doesn’t do anything for PHI rather than actually hurt us even more. PHI may be in the market for an elite F, but I wouldn’t call Drouin that yet. More likely in the market for offer-sheeting someone like Marner or signing Panarin if he would even come to PHI.

When I look at top pairing D man, I value Hedman and Burns over guys like Karlsson and Yandle. I don't drool over offensive ability only. I look at the overall game and their shut down ability is important. But you can assume that I value Shut down ability only if you wish.

Back to Gostisbehere. He is up and down with his offensive ability to produce and he is not known to play a physical game and provide shutdown ability. There are all kinds of top pairing talent but Gost has a ways to go yet to be more consistent offensively like the guys you mentioned.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Both are not on the same development paths due to 2 year age difference. Both have skills but holes to their game. Both show flashes of brilliance and also struggle. It's part of the maturity process for players in their early 20's.

Gost has a 2 year maturity advantage over Drouin. Will either player mature substantially more from where they are today? It's anybodies guess.

If you want to pump Gost tires, I can pump Drouin's. If you want to deflate Drouin's tires, I can deflate Gost tires. In terms of value, I think it's very close between these two and the deciding factor is the faith you would have with how they look moving forward and can they become more consistent
Age isn't the only development factor. Drouin has more NHL experience and defenseman typically develop later than forwards so if you're going to use age for the development curve there's the other side of the argument.

Also, I didn't pump or deflate anyone's tires. I simply stated that if Ghost's .72 PPG as a defenseman in '16 isn't good in your mind then I'm not sure how you can argue that Drouin has ever had a good season considering his best was .73 in '17.

Last edited:

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Just to further echo. The flyers have holes on the blue line still. Ghost could be a chip to go after someone big or he could revert to his performance of last year and be a top pairing player. The flyers have multiple forwards coming that project to have similar inpact as drouin—frost is right there and farabee is probably close too. Just taking into consideration organizational needs, the flyers don’t do this. Montreal could use ghost for sure, so I understand the ask and purely on value the op is pretty nice. It just makes the flyers forwards better while further compromising the organizations biggest issue right now.

Also, not a fan of drouin. Comes off as a petulant child, so it rubs me the wrong way.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn't say fine for forwards.. or else we would still have Sergachev.
At that time we didn't have KK or Domi. Drouin is expendable.

That's not to say that we couldn't make a run at somebody like say... Panarin (I think we should) but Gost is exactly what Montreal needs. Drouin has incredible potential and would probably blossom next to Giroux but we've got to do what we've got to do. To get quality you have to give. He's 23 with an elite skillset. He might be the next John Leclair but to get Gost it's worth the risk.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pretty much Drouin situation.

Him and Julien are not going well at the moment.

I wouldn't touch Mete though ( he is doing well on the first line) for Ghost. Ghost is not worth a 1 first winger + 1 line D... it's too much.

at this state its' drouin + pick for Ghost or Drouin + Juulsen for Ghost. Mete is a big no.
Just because Mete plays on the first pairing doesn't make him a first pairing D. That's like saying Kyle Wellwood or Desharnais were first line centers.

Mete should be in the AHL right now. He's on the first pairing because it's him vs Kulak and some other scrub who's name I can't even remember right now. Montreal's D is a total mess.

Mete has the potential to be good but he'll need development. The reason he's included is that Montreal skips the development phase with him and fills it's prime need immediately.

This wouldn't be my first offer to Philly btw, it would simply be my best. Gost fills exactly what Montreal needs.

That being said, Philly fans in this thread seem to be viewing him as simply a 'throw in' and he's far from that. He's going to be a solid blueliner some day. He won't be Gost but he's going to have a good career. I don't like including him but I think Gost is worth more than Drouin straight up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy

TrapGod Jr

Apr 22, 2017
Contrary to believe, the Habs are not desperate for Ghost. Now if Nurse was made available by the Oilers, I would move Gallagher for him. Not interested in a offensive minded D like Ghost who has one very good season and is a career -21. I would consider overpayment for a guy like Nurse but not a guy like Gostisbehere. We already have Mete who is a good puck mover but a smaller type D man.

Interested in Gost but I know fully well he is not a shut down D type. I rather be desperate and provide pry away value for a Nurse type vs a Gost type.
Trade gallagher?? Its a no fly zone no doubt

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Drouin is nice but i wouldn't give up ghost for him. This really comes down to ones opinion of mete who i know little about though Google says hes been less than impressive statistically yet even being in the league at his age is a feat unto itself. Can't call or

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don’t believe the problem with Drouin is a maturity issue, I believe it’s more of an entitlement, attitude and ego issues that Drouin has.

If your not listening to the coaching staff or your teammates that’s an issue.

You might want to be careful playing that card to support Gostisbehere, given his quotes about ignoring Hakstol and playing his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad