Gorges overpaid?

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Hes a blocking shot machine, will probably be the next captain for the habs, he rarely gets penalties, hes a workhorse. I dont think hes payed too much.

I don't believe the habs need a shutdown defenceman as their next captain. I believe a captain needs to be someone who indeed has leadership but also someone who is a beacon of the team's success. Yes Gorges brings a lot to the table but I don't think it's enough for him to wear the C. Gionta still has at least 3 years before he retires I think that by then someone else than Gorges will come to mind for the job.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do other boards have this bizarre need to discuss minutiae ad nauseum?

Can't we just have a pertinent thread discussing Diaz's transvestism?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well if he wasn't on the team, we'd be begging for Bergevin to overpay for an inferior player of similar ability in the offseason.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't think the D coach use him well, in my opinion. He was such a force in Martin's system, especially on the right on the PK. Habs' coaching staff should look at past videos.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was actually gonna start a thread about Gorges. I know this board has a love affair with him for whatever reason but I've got no idea why.

He's terrible on the PP, he's small and weak, and has a soft shot yet he's our 4 million #4 D, because he blocks a lot of shots?

I'm not trying to offend but I don't see why he's regarded as such a big part of this team?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I was actually gonna start a thread about Gorges. I know this board has a love affair with him for whatever reason but I've got no idea why.

He's terrible on the PP, he's small and weak, and has a soft shot yet he's our 4 million #4 D, because he blocks a lot of shots?

I'm not trying to offend but I don't see why he's regarded as such a big part of this team?
He's not a PP guy....

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He's not a PP guy....
Yes, point taken, dumb comment. I know he's not a PP guy but I guess what I was trying to say is that he is not good offensively. At all.:laugh:

Which is OK for a #4 Dman, but he has to be one of the best paid #4 D in the league? So what else does he offer besides blocking shots? He does not add toughness, he can't fight, he's not necessarily a crease clearer, and he can't provide offense. So why is his value to the Habs so high? Is a comparable to him Jason Smith or Adam Foote?

I honestly don't know, I know that he is highly regarded around here but I don't know why. I don't know the game (outside of the goaltending position) that well, so there are nuances that I don't pick up.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yes, point taken, dumb comment. I know he's not a PP guy but I guess what I was trying to say is that he is not good offensively. At all.:laugh:

Which is OK for a #4 Dman, but he has to be one of the best paid #4 D in the league? So what else does he offer besides blocking shots? He does not add toughness, he can't fight, he's not necessarily a crease clearer, and he can't provide offense. So why is his value to the Habs so high? Is a comparable to him Jason Smith or Adam Foote?

I honestly don't know, I know that he is highly regarded around here but I don't know why. I don't know the game (outside of the goaltending position) that well, so there are nuances that I don't pick up.

He's an effective shutdown defenseman, and also provides veteran leadership and character.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So who do you see as some current comparables to him around the league?

I've mentioned Rob Scuderi on prior occasions. He was on the shutdown unit of two different stanley camp champions.

Karl Alzner possibly but I'd have to watch more Caps games, it's been a while. No idea if Alzner has the same leadership skills though.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm not nearly as high on gorges as most. He's fine for what he does and is probably paid slightly above his worth, but it's close enough to not matter.

He is certainly not one of the untouchables for me.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think he was worth $4.45M last season. And so far this season has only been worth $3.57M. Although it's complicated by not having the dominance of the Subban pairing factor in play. But still. They got something like a $2M bargain on him last season. That'll buy 5 years of being $400k overpaid, even if there is no salary inflation and even if Gorges doesn't play at his best-ever level ever again (neither of which are likely).
:dunno:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think he was worth $4.45M last season. And so far this season has only been worth $3.57M. Although it's complicated by not having the dominance of the Subban pairing factor in play. But still. They got something like a $2M bargain on him last season. That'll buy 5 years of being $400k overpaid, even if there is no salary inflation and even if Gorges doesn't play at his best-ever level ever again (neither of which are likely).
:dunno:

That simply is not true.

The only thing that matters is the % of the salary cap that a player eats up in any 1 given year. His previous salary is of no benefit or consequence on the current salary cap.

I understand where you are coming from but it is only in a hypothetical sense.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
He will be 34 in 2017-2018, not that old. 3.9 is about 6% of next year salary cap, which is reasonable. In 2017-2018, the cap should be somwhere like 70-75M, which will take his percentage down to about 5.5-5.2%. He doesn't do anything special that will be harder as he gets older.

Georges is not overpaid and is worth every penny. Making sure he signed long term before he hit UFA was the best way to handle the situation. On the open market in his prime, I'm sure a team that needs D like Detroit would offer him 4.5 over 4 years.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
The money isn't the issue, it's the length of contract.

The way Gorges plays he sacrifices the body. Bet on him not closing out the contract with this team, but, enjoy him while he's here.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The money isn't the issue, it's the length of contract.

The way Gorges plays he sacrifices the body. Bet on him not closing out the contract with this team, but, enjoy him while he's here.

He played hockey for 5-6 years on a partially torn ligament in his knee. 2 years ago it was finally completed severed and needed surgery. I don't see him falling apart, it's just not him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've mentioned Rob Scuderi on prior occasions. He was on the shutdown unit of two different stanley camp champions.

Karl Alzner possibly but I'd have to watch more Caps games, it's been a while. No idea if Alzner has the same leadership skills though.

Scuderi is also 34 and is somewhat of a late bloomer who had established himself as something of a jouneyman type d-man in the eyes of many NHL GMs. Gorges had leverage due to his age and projected growth as a leader and player.

He will be the captain when Gionta either retires or goes elsewhere. The Habs simply couldn't afford to let him go. Relative to his physical skillset he is overpaid but there are other intangibles that make his contract somewhat reasonable.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Not at all. Plus the cap will likely be a lot higher in the last couple years of his contract and by then he'll look like a steal at only 4M for one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Not at all. Plus the cap will likely be a lot higher in the last couple years of his contract and by then he'll look like a steal at only 4M for one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

That could very well be true but the thing that worries me is that he can't afford to lose a step. That would make him a bottom pairing guy at best.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
It's not Gorges that is overpaid. The problem is not there.
Gally is staying with Gorges. YES. well this bring a key question to my mind. Knowing that Gorges has a young pretty wife, that now has to wash this perfectly healthy 20 year old young man with what God gave him down there with all the DNA samples that that would produce every day, that fact that my wife would be that close to this DNA might make me rethink this arrangement before Mrs Gorges has to announce she is having new BLOND BLUE EYED Right hand shooting child.;)
Thats a LOT of DNA boys looking for an egg with nothing to do.;)

How do I know all this? well it's an excuse was was handed by an X wife. " I did not do anything, it must have *** from the dryer"

Last edited:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Yes he is. In 2 years, he'll be a liability with his contract. He's Craig Rivet 2.0. Great leader, marginal player. If he can bring a Craig Rivet like return, I'll be happy (meaning another younger Josh Gorges and a 1st round pick).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad