Gorges overpaid?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he plays well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprised that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

Players with similar contract: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?season=2012&player=83

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normally I think he should had have 3.5M/5 years.

What is your opinion on this? Agree or not?

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he play well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprise that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

Players with similar contract: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?season=2012&player=83

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normaly I think he should had have 3.5M/5 year.

If he is, it's by a real marginal amount.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I would say he's slightly overpaid for the type of player he is. I'm not too worried about the contract though, because he is very good at what he does. I am a little worried about how he will look in a few years, but considering how well he came back from ACL surgery...

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
You define his overpayment as 0.4M. 0.4 M isn't much of an overpayment, it's marginal at best.

Jmac1160*

His leadership and shot blocking alone is worth every penny.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Yes you are right, but the real problematic in his contract is: Gorges at 3.9 in 2017-18. I don't feel comfortable about that.

Gorges' style of play doesn't really indicate that he'll be less effective by then. He's a shot-blocker, a great stay-at-home guy, he doesn't really pinch in the offensive zone, he's a grinder...and his intangibles like his leadership abilities, his composure under pressure, and his always-safe decision-making skills will earn him most of that contract year in, year out.

He's not going to lose offensive production because he's not an offensive defenceman. He's not going to slow down due to age because he's not fast. He's not going to suddenly become terribly out of shape due to partying too much because he's much more responsible and mature than many players on the team. He's exactly the kind of guy who will be what he is now late into his career.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a good soldier and a top 4 D. There are 30 teams in the NHL. 30 x 4 = 120. Yet if you count the number of top 4 Ds there are in the NHL one at a time you will realize that there are less than 120 of them.

Conclusion: If we ever need to move him to make cap room, we will find takers. MANY teams are looking for top 4 Ds.

Having said that I would gladly keep him for now and He is likely our next captain. He is a great asset.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I would say he's slightly overpaid for the type of player he is. I'm not too worried about the contract though, because he is very good at what he does. I am a little worried about how he will look in a few years, but considering how well he came back from ACL surgery...

Yeah agreed, a little overpaid, but not by much. And you know that with a guy like Gorges, he wont sit on his contract. He always works his ass off.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not overpaid. There's a big difference between ideal value, market value and overpaid. He's paid more than ideal value but still less than market value. He's not overpaid. People would've paid 4.5 for this type of guy 3 years ago, see komisarek.

dukeofjive*

Hes a blocking shot machine, will probably be the next captain for the habs, he rarely gets penalties, hes a workhorse. I dont think hes payed too much.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Nope.

He leads - or is always close to - leading the NHL in shots blocked. He is great defensively and he is a true leader both on and off the ice. He was paid for not only his play on the ice, but his worth to the team as a whole.

Lizard King*

Most Habs players are overpaid. Gorges is one of the only Habs players that has a decent contract that I'm happy having, he's a great dman that would probably get just as much on any other team if not more.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
The little but of overpayment is just his babysitter payment for watching BGally, so he's worth it :D

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Overpaid is overrated. It's not the end of the world when you are slightly overpaid but you are a consistent player that brings it every night, that the coach can count on. Gorges salary will not hurt the team in the cap world because of what he brings for the team.

Gorges or Prust might be slightly overpaid but they are the kind of players every teams need to be successful. The kind of players that we don't need to watch the scoresheet to see if they played well because you know they did.

hockeyrules123

Oct 2, 2011
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he plays well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprised that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normally I think he should had have 3.5M/5 years.

Average salary is around 2.5M. He's a leader, Habs wanted him long term while the team was a disgrace. Who cares if he's worth "only" 3.5 ?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
No, he's not overpaid. If you could have an acid trip that involved flashing through the past 5 seasons in a few hours (or maybe a bit more depending), I think you'd see that he is NOT overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad