News Article: Gorges doesn't know why he was traded

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He's clearly dense, if he hasn't figured it out by now. Typical Kelowna resident.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At one point, that trade seemed to me to be taken directly through Pierre Gauthier's way of doing business....And frankly...that's not a good point. Wouldn't you at least talk to your guy....prevent him of what's happening...explain to him your thought process? Shouldn't it be the human thing to do? I really didn't like how they handled Josh's departure, even if at one point, I thought he was expendable.
I feel bad for Gorges. He really seems like the kind of guy who wanted to be a Hab for life.

No explanation? I wouldn't expect the team to provide one. Yeah it seems cold but at the end of the day it would be like firing somebody - better for it to just be a clean break. And who knows what the reason is? Maybe he wasn't respected in the room... would it make sense to tell him this?

Anyways, best of luck to him in Buffalo.

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In the end, the guy was REALLY dissapointed to leave. Which personnally, I have no idea how we can bash a guy like that for expressing those types of emotions.

No one is bashing, you're the one who is trying to start a phony controversy.

So much untruths posted, including blaming MB for the Leafs leaking the trade talks.

Gorges was a 5-6 at best - an undersized shot blocker - someone said like Weaver - spot on. We also needed to create cap space and he was the most expendable asset given rookies waiting to play,

Also agree that MB was very forthcoming on why the trade was done. Gorges is being disingenuous by saying he still does not know why he was traded.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Really? It's not rocket science

Stevie Wonder could see the Habs had 3 LHD being paid as Top 4 and a glaring need for a Top 4 RHPMD

MB had a deal in place to fill that void by bringing in Franson, Gorges vetoed that so Plan B was bring in Gilbert which still needed cap shed

Appreciate all Gorges did for the team but his contract, inability to move the puck and lack of physicality sealed his fate - hope he drops this and just moves on

TassieHab

May 3, 2013
Hobart
Still think it could have been handled better, you can't really blindside a player with a trade to a team that is on his no trade list and I feel like we probably cost ourselves a better return for him. It was the right move though, Gilbert is a much better contract and think it will help us in the long term.

People can complain about him whining in the press but I don't mind that, just shows that he really did love the team, players aren't robots ffs. And people wonder why athletes generally answer every question in mundane cliches, honesty apparently gets you crucified.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I feel for the guy. He definitely loved playing here and was really happy but at the end of the day these things happen. Hockey is a business.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

So much untruths posted, including blaming MB for the Leafs leaking the trade talks.

Gorges was a 5-6 at best - an undersized shot blocker - someone said like Weaver - spot on. We also needed to create cap space and he was the most expendable asset given rookies waiting to play,

Also agree that MB was very forthcoming on why the trade was done. Gorges is being disingenuous by saying he still does not know why he was traded.

considering some went as far as comparing him to Bouillon, I'd say bashing it is.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
In the end, the guy was REALLY dissapointed to leave. Which personnally, I have no idea how we can bash a guy like that for expressing those types of emotions.

Alright. However, I don't it's fair either to bash MB in how the trade was handled. We probably never should have heard anything of the Toronto deal but it got leaked out and Bobby Mac made an error in judgement in making it public.

During the July 1st press conference, you could tell that MB wasn't happy about it and I'm sure he'll think about it twice before having trade talks with Toronto again.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Trying to start a phony controversy? Where have you been all those months? When people wondered what the heck happened when he was traded? When Gorges was said to be traded to the Leafs, a team he didn't have on his list? And that article that I didn't write that still shows that this was done in a strange way to say the least.

So what you're saying is that Gorges is lying? Yep...Bergevin told US why he did it. But clearly, he didn't address it to a guy who thought that he'd probably played his whole career with the Habs. Is it his fault to have taken this for granted? Surely. Part of the job to be traded. But that's not what it's at stake here. I will choose to believe that Bergevin didn't played that the best way. Either for Gorges and/or for the type of return we should have gotten.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
I was listening to the radio a few months back and I think that Filosa mentioned Gorges had a horrible exit interview wit the coaching staff the year Montreal got raked out of the playoffs by Ottawa. I wonder what role that played in the whole process.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Alright. However, I don't it's fair either to bash MB in how the trade was handled. We probably never should have heard anything of the Toronto deal but it got leaked out and Bobby Mac made an error in judgement in making it public.

During the July 1st press conference, you could tell that MB wasn't happy about it and I'm sure he'll think about it twice before having trade talks with Toronto again.

I'm not bashing Bergevin for the leak. I'm criticizing him for trying to put the Leafs in Gorges throat without telling him first hand. When you want to trade a guy to a team that is not on the list of a guy who dressed a list of do not want.....I'd think that the decency would be to talk to the guy first. Yep, we knew all this because it was made public. But the gesture was done anyway. I mean, we bash Gainey for the almost trade that was going to be done to get Lecavalier...but only because it was also leaked.

Then, once it's rejected, you know that you have to trade your player....as soon as you can to avoid the drama of keeping the player. And you get what you got by not being in a position to even try to trade him in a package and all...

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
he was trade because he was taking too much place in the loockeroom. Nothing is more annoying than a bottom player with a big mouth trying to be the "leader".

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I like Gorges but a second round pick from a bottom feeder like the Sabres is a decent return for a guy deemed expendable. We needed to make room for Beaulieu to play more but I wish Gorges all the best.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
he was trade because he was taking too much place in the loockeroom. Nothing is more annoying than a bottom player with a big mouth trying to be the "leader".

You know, I don't know if calling him annoying is fair.

When you are a leader you have to walk the walk before you can talk the talk. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he wasn't walking the walk... Blocking lots of shots just isn't enough.

Relate it to this. Your boss in a mechanics shop keeps yelling for you to be the best, to really bring it this year in terms of being the best auto service around. But he can only change tires.

Gorges was not good at:

Controlling offensive zone attacks
Passing
Shooting
Fast transition skating
Fighting
Laying down hard hits

And probably a couple more things, this is all my opinion of course (it's like a disclaimer)

He was good at:

Being a DEFENSE man.

Unfortunately these day's you almost have to be more than just a shot blocking, defensive defense-man to command a salary more than say 1.5 Million.

And that's what happened.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Boullion is tough as nails for his size.

Man everytime I think of Bouillion I want post a phony thread saying Habs sign Radek Bonk, but I understand that is frowned upon.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
When Therrien said he wanted to go with Tokarski instead of Budaj he said he spoke to Gorges and Gionta to see how the other guys in the room would feel about it, based on this being from the coach who knows more than us in the locker room, it seems Gorges was a leader in the room for the coach get his advice on a situation like that.

Dude was simply not good enough to be a top pairing dmen and while I think he is a great number 4 dmen, him and Emelin on the 2nd pair isn't a good fit, so no issue with trading him away.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I like Gorges but a second round pick from a bottom feeder like the Sabres is a decent return for a guy deemed expendable. We needed to make room for Beaulieu to play more but I wish Gorges all the best.

It's the Wild 2nd round pick in 2016 I believe, not really great return, but decent.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Its more than just about the leak. This was the first time Bergevin had to trade away a tenured player on the team and he bungled it pretty bad. Gorges was one of the most respected guys in the locker room and we treated him like crap on the way out. Combine that with perceived antagonism with regards to the Subban negotiations and players may start to question their commitment to the team if the team isn't willing to commit to them. That was what doomed us in 2012, players tuned out because it was clear Gauthier didn't respect them, and while that hasn't happened here, there are little hints coming out that perhaps Bergevin doesn't respect the players or have their best interests in mind.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Its more than just about the leak. This was the first time Bergevin had to trade away a tenured player on the team and he bungled it pretty bad. Gorges was one of the most respected guys in the locker room and we treated him like crap on the way out. Combine that with perceived antagonism with regards to the Subban negotiations and players may start to question their commitment to the team if the team isn't willing to commit to them. That was what doomed us in 2012, players tuned out because it was clear Gauthier didn't respect them, and while that hasn't happened here, there are little hints coming out that perhaps Bergevin doesn't respect the players or have their best interests in mind.

According to whom was Gorges one of the most respected guys? For all you know everyone in the room hated his vocalness.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
According to whom was Gorges one of the most respected guys? For all you know everyone in the room hated his vocalness.

Is this a serious post? Gorges was one of the longest tenured members of the team, an alternate captain, and frequently consulted by the coaching staff to get a feel for the locker room. If Gorges was hated by his teammates none of those would happen and he probably would have gladly accepted a trade out of town. It is quite obvious that Gorges was a respected leader of the team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You know, I don't know if calling him annoying is fair.

When you are a leader you have to walk the walk before you can talk the talk. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he wasn't walking the walk... Blocking lots of shots just isn't enough.

Relate it to this. Your boss in a mechanics shop keeps yelling for you to be the best, to really bring it this year in terms of being the best auto service around. But he can only change tires.

Gorges was not good at:

Controlling offensive zone attacks
Passing
Shooting
Fast transition skating
Fighting
Laying down hard hits

And probably a couple more things, this is all my opinion of course (it's like a disclaimer)

He was good at:

Being a DEFENSE man.

Unfortunately these day's you almost have to be more than just a shot blocking, defensive defense-man to command a salary more than say 1.5 Million.

And that's what happened.

and none of what you listed has anything to do with leadership. And your example is ridiculous at best.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
and none of what you listed has anything to do with leadership. And your example is ridiculous at best.

If Gorges possessed all of the abilities in that post (although fighting and laying hard hits were just added to make his list look bigger since they are irrelevant) he would be the best dman in the entire league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad