Gordie Howe Passes Away at the age of 88

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Love hearing all the stories people have about him.

Me too. If anyone's got one they should post it.

He was my old man's favourite player when he was growing up. Beyond that, I don't have a lot to add (Gordie was way before my time). All I know is that he's a hockey legend, and just the man in general from what I've read.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Condolences to the Howe family, the Wings organization and its fans on the passing of one of hockey's greats.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Couldn't have been a nicer man.

Loved the game, loved the Red Wings and always treated the fans as his peers.

Rare these days to see such a supremely talented and famous individual live with such humility and respect for everyone and treat regular joes as his equals.

The hockey world has lost a true great in every sense of the word.
I'm going to miss him!

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Back when Hallmark started to release a hockey figurine ornament every year at christmas time they had #9 one year and I went to his signing for it...I had to have been like 8 or 9 and I shook his hand. He pulled me across the table with ease. Granted I was a small boy he was still elderly and very strong given his age.

Then again about 2 years after that I seen him walking through downtown Plymouth with a woman. (Not sure if it was his wife, i was like 11? lol)

I also was able to watch him play for the Detroit Vipers :D

Memories I will never forget. #9RIP

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Sad day for the hockey world and us Wings fans. But let's be grateful having had such an outstanding player to wear the winged wheel for so long.
R.I.P., Mr. Hockey, you'll be missed.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Gretzky said" Unfortunately we lost the greatest hockey player ever today. But more importantly the nicest man I ever met" I think that says it all. Great player, Great person. Very well liked by people in Traverse City when he was there. "Friendly" seems to be a word people use to describe him.
Rest in peace Mr. Hockey and condolences to the Howe family.

Also love the idea of Gordie Howe Arena.

Last edited:

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I first saw this on tumblr when I woke up. It was a post from a spambot account so I didn't believe it at first, so I had to check HF to confirm.

This one hurts.

13435319_811987512267596_8445898710505999205_n.jpg

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
He lived a long and fruitful life. His last appearance at the Joe for birthday was a little uncomfortable because he still wasn't himself. It's tough watching our heroes age. We'll always love him and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I got to meet Gordie once. He is one of those people that makes a building full of people comfortable just becasue he is around. Generous, friendly, and larger than life. He was signing autographs at Fraser Hockey Land. I always brought a red pen with me because I wanted the red to stand out form the black print and they always seemed to have black sharpies at signings. In a rush out the door I actually grabbed an orange pen. He gave me a giant razing for bringing him an orange sharpie, to this day I chuckle when I walk by this on the wall you can see the signing in a slightly different hugh but over time it has faded to be a little red haha.

https://i.imgsafe.org/c285f4bc19.jpg

c285f4bc19.jpg

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
Respect and condolences to all generations of Red Wings fans on this loss.

Thanks for all of the nice memories in this thread. This was a special man.

Number 9 forever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad