Gordie Howe Passes Away at the age of 88

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Leaf fan here: you lost one of the greats today Detroit, a legend and a gentleman. Best wishes to his family and I know the Red Wing organization will do him proud. RIP Mr. Hockey.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Gordie

I have been a Red Wing fan since I was 5 yrs old in 1958. Gordie was the reason I became a Wings fan and he was my first idol. I spent hours practicing his autograph and, to this day, I still form my "e" the same way.

While I am saddened by his passing, and have shed what will be the first of many tears as Gordie is remembered and then laid to rest, I choose to celebrate his life and accomplishments by recalling the many great memories that he gave me as a fan. I was fortunate enough to see Gordie score his 600th. goal one night in Montreal(where he received a standing ovation from a very partisan Canadiens crowd).

Over the last six decades, he was the most humble of all the "superstars" that I have seen in sports.

Condolences to the Howe family.

RIP Mr. Hockey

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
My mom is 59. She met Gordie Howe when she was around 18. He kissed her hand. She was starstruck, lol.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Our condolences to the Howe family. He WAS hockey. The death of a real honest-to-God Legend!! A sad time for all true fans.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Seeing him at the Winter Classic last year was brutal. So I'm just going to watch this again. Excuse me, I have something in my eye

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Grandfather used to run Pullar Arena up in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan and the Wings used to have training camp up.He got to be great friends ver the years with Gordie and the Production Line. When my Grandfather passed last year he left me several autographs from all those teams that used to me up there. Have some pretty old programs signed from back then that I plan passing on to my 2 sons. My grandfather was also a roommate of Yogi Berra while both were in the Coast Guard

http://www.saultstemarie.com/the-sa...raft-hockeyville-usa-contest-sault-ste-marie/

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Grandfather used to run Pullar Arena up in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan and the Wings used to have training camp up.He got to be great friends ver the years with Gordie and the Production Line. When my Grandfather passed last year he left me several autographs from all those teams that used to me up there. Have some pretty old programs signed from back then that I plan passing on to my 2 sons. My grandfather was also a roommate of Yogi Berra while both were in the Coast Guard

http://www.saultstemarie.com/the-sa...raft-hockeyville-usa-contest-sault-ste-marie/

I'm from Soo, Ontario, and although my dad was young at the time, he remembers when the Wings had Training Camp at the Pullar. I don't think he ever got to go over to watch camp, but we met Gordie back in the 90's, I believe it was during the 1994 strike, he was doing charity hockey games. Great man as well as player. I always considered him the best player after Gretzky.

Sad day, and my condolences to all the family, friends and other fans of the legend.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I always considered him the best player after Gretzky.

Very fitting Gretzky originally wanted to wear #9 because of Howe, but had to settle for #99 due to a number conflict on his Greyhounds team. Nine - the most iconic number in hockey? I think so.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Very fitting Gretzky originally wanted to wear #9 because of Howe, but had to settle for #99 due to a number conflict on his Greyhounds team. Nine - the most iconic number in hockey? I think so.

That's correct. When Gretzky arrived in the Soo, Brian Gualazzi wore the #9 and did not want to give it up. That's when he suggested Gretzky wear 99

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We should start a campaign to change the name of the new arena from the Little Caesars arena to the Gordie Howe arena
Not gonna happen without a multimillion dollar donation attached, but you'd have my vote.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
tumblr_o8kgv7s2Dv1qb4rpho1_1280.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad