Gordie Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No. The guy does his job and produces players. He looks bad right now because the type of guys he brings in and the brand of hockey they play isn't what this current coaching staff wants to coach.

AV wants Detroit. He wants the Zetterbergs, Datsyuks, Tartars, and the guys that play that run and gun east/west hockey.

Gordie drafted players with the identity of this organization being a tough to play against, north south team with greater physical gifts (big, strong, can skate: MCD, Kreider, Skjei, Moore, Miller, McIlrath), over guys with puck skills.

Now the system doesn't fit the personnel. Gordie did his job just fine.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Listen, there needs to be a combination of good drafting, good trades, and smart UVA signings. Our drafts have been mediocre. Passing on Saad for Miller and Tarasenko for McI was absolutely nothing less than brutal. Clark needs to take the hit. once Redden was signed, I gave up my season tickets after thirty years! Slather is too old to run the team. His vision is way to short term I am willing to give Gorton a chance if they allow him to actually build a team. I am truly disgusted with this team.
As a loyal fan for FIFTY years, I am willing to rebuild. Why not management doing it the right way

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
We produced twice as many NHLers as the average team since Gordie took over our drafts. Drafting has nit been a problem.

We didn't finish our rebuilding. We had one late season rebuild effort. We should've dealt away Nylander, Straka, Jagr, etc the post-lockout season. Those assets may have given us the Cup instead of Eastern Conference Finals two years ago.

But fans, including those on this forum, would rather make the playoffs immediately than go for the Cup in 2-3 years. I had this argument here and most of the forum was in agreement that it is important to make the playoffs because it gives you the best chance to win since playoffs=chance.

The inability to sacrifice a little at present for a lot in the future is what has caused us to have one Cup in 74 years.

We were 1st in the Division at the trade deadline in 05-06, had maybe the best player in the league that year (Jagr) and looked pretty good overall. No GM in their right mind would have traded his major players for future assets in that situation. That is just beyond ridiculous.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
But fans, including those on this forum, would rather make the playoffs immediately than go for the Cup in 2-3 years. I had this argument here and most of the forum was in agreement that it is important to make the playoffs because it gives you the best chance to win since playoffs=chance.

The inability to sacrifice a little at present for a lot in the future is what has caused us to have one Cup in 74 years.

There is parity in this league now, and lots of it. 8th seeds have gone to the finals more than once in the cap era. 2012 finals had the 6th play the 8th seed and the 8th seed won.

7s have beat 2s quite a few times. Of course it gives you a chance, guys (well ones that hate losing more than they like winning) play 82 long hard grueling games for that chance.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Clark has been good and bad...just like Sather and just about everyone else in this system...good enough not to be terrible and not bad enough to be terrible. What does that translate into...one cup in 74 years and nothing in the foreseeable future that would lead me into believing that there is greatness on the horizon. The Bruins, Pens, Hawks, Sharks, BLues and a host of other teams that are good now and have the talent in their system to make the Rangers a after thought for at least the next 10 years

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
we've drafted awesome for how we consistently finished year after year.. its always hard to analyze a prospects after top 5 picks.. give it up..

teams would kill to have that many of their own draft picks in the nhl today..

our issue is our players aren't playing as an effective unit of 5 out there and our coaching suckss.. they are not on the same page.. and AV rather make excuses then point the finger at himself..

you guys always think the grass is always greener.. some of you are no better then our GM.. everyone wants quick fixes and when they get our shinny new toy everyones so happy but in realty nothing changes..

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
How about drafting better players with our picks?

Show us this history of Gordie Clark clinically ****ing up our draft picks when loads of better players were available. The only 1st round pick so far he's truly missed on was Bobby Sanguinetti.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Show us this history of Gordie Clark clinically ****ing up our draft picks when loads of better players were available. The only 1st round pick so far he's truly missed on was Bobby Sanguinetti.

That was Maloney. Clarke's been manning the draft since 2008.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Come on, man. He's 20 years old. He should be a junior in college right now. You should know better than this.

What does age have to do with effort?

My point is I don't have a clear picture of what the organization sees him being. And watching him play, I don't have a clear picture myself.

Last edited:

richardsequalscup*

If people don't think Miller is playing hard, they are lost. That's pretty funny. If you want to see a lack of effort, look at Rick Nash. He's a terrific example.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I love hindsight threads. I'm surprised no one has *****ed that we took Cherry over Jamie Benn yet.

The lack of quality 4th liners is my only real complaint from Gordie's drafts.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
There are teams that lose every year and never get a cup. There is no guarantee that if you lose 1,2, or 3 years you get a cup. There are teams that have cups that never had a #1 overall pick. How many high picks have teams like the Oilers and Columbus had? I think even Nash was a #1 pick.

The difference was that the Rangers had Lundqvist. Most teams don't have a Lundqvist. Most teams aren't NY where they can bring in big names. If the Rangers tanked even right after Jagr left for two or three years, this team would be SICK.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The Penguins needed what, 4 #1 picks, and generational talent to win one Cup. Trading away every player worth beans for prospects and picks and picking near the top seems to be the least effective way to build a perennial powerhouse. Chicago had two shots to draft in the top 3 and they wound up with Toews and Kane. Look how many top picks Columbus, NYI, Tampa Bay, Florida, Ottawa, Edmonton, Pittsburgh have had. Between them they have one Cup and it's the team that wound up with a generational talent, possibly two.

I'd rather follow the NJD, Detroit, Boston, Anaheim method of building a solid core through shrewd UFA management, trades, and drafting, and having a roster and coaching philosophy
that reflect an overall united concept of winning hockey.

Losing = winning is only what sack of **** team's fans tell themselves of message boards as they watch mismanagement wreck their rosters on the road to the lottery every year.

Losing for a season or two to get an elite talent is not a wrong way of doing it. Take a look at the Stanley cup champions since the 2004-05 lockout. Only one of those teams didn't have a top 5 or 10 pick at some point before they won the Cup. Even Boston and Anaheim had them.

Of course a big part of it is also getting elite players out of mid-late first round picks. The Rangers haven't quite done that.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Bostons cup came from guys like Chara, Tim Thomas, and Marchand not from tanking for a #1 pick. You named 2 teams that won and ignore all the losing teams that have never won. By the way we were a losing team the year Pitt won the Crosby lottery. The year before the Caps drafted AO #1 overall. Where are all their cups? I have no respect for the idea that we should try to purposefully try to lose games.

Joe Thornton & Phil Kessel (and I guess Zach Hamill) say hello

Not sure if you missed it, but Chara was a free agent (as was Thomas, but unestablished), not a product of their drafting

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
What does age have to do with effort?

My point is I don't have a clear picture of what the organization sees him being. And watching him play, I don't have a clear picture myself.

In what way is he not displaying effort? He's been the best player in Hartford every time he's sent back down there. Do you see him being lazy on the ice or something? I don't understand what it is that you're disappointed with in regards to effort. I don't know what he's going to be and I don't think the organization does either. Again, he is 20 years old. Why does he need a defined role or projection right now? Do you have the same demands of Boo Nieves?

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
In what way is he not displaying effort? He's been the best player in Hartford every time he's sent back down there. Do you see him being lazy on the ice or something? I don't understand what it is that you're disappointed with in regards to effort. I don't know what he's going to be and I don't think the organization does either. Again, he is 20 years old. Why does he need a defined role or projection right now? Do you have the same demands of Boo Nieves?

I just had a flash into the future where Nieves ends up being injury prone and gets the nickname Boo Boo

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Bostons cup came from guys like Chara, Tim Thomas, and Marchand not from tanking for a #1 pick. You named 2 teams that won and ignore all the losing teams that have never won. By the way we were a losing team the year Pitt won the Crosby lottery. The year before the Caps drafted AO #1 overall. Where are all their cups? I have no respect for the idea that we should try to purposefully try to lose games.

Really? The Bruins drafted Kessel high, who was then moved for multiple pieces including Seguin, who was drafted high and played a pretty big role in the playoffs. " They also lucked into signing Blake Wheeler, 5th overall, after he chose not to sign with Phoenix. Though maybe they didn't tank in the way that the Blackhawks or Penguins did, they still did a rebuild of sorts. Lucic was acquired with a 2nd rounder from trading Samsonov. They moved a more established goaltender in Raycroft for Tuukka Rask. Even so, great, you cited one example. That's what the statistics world likes to call an "outlier."

Nobody is saying we should try to purposely lose games, but maybe it's not a bad idea to concede that this season is a lost cause, trade guys such as Girardi, Callahan, and Stralman for some picks & prospects, accept the top-10 pick that would probably come, and move on from there.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lack of quality fourth liners is the organization's fault not Gordie's.

Players like Dale Weise, Dane Byers, John Mitchell, and even now Yogan and maybe Akim Aliu as a reclamation project CAN play fourth line minutes, it's just that they choose to sign the Pyatts and Ashams of the world.

My philosophy; a fourth line should be young hungry kids on Entry Level Contracts who can forecheck, create energy, and also have a special skill like PKing or PPing that can be used to help them develop while they perfect their skills at the ever strength game.

I had no problem with Fast getting fourth line and PK minutes.

You save money, teach responsibility, and strengthen your team in other areas.

Gordie has done a pretty good job drafting. He gets a B from me. Remember, they had no player development and drafting before Gordie took over, and Maloney and Renney really didn't draft well.

The only flaw with Clark is that he hasn't found a true game breaker or an elite talent, just a collection of good to very good players. Time will tell with Fast, Kristo, Lindberg and then Duclair/Buch/Nieves.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

He doesn't stand out. On a time that as a whole doesn't play hard, where the bar is very low when it comes to effort, he isn't noticeable. Being the best player in Hartford really doesn't great me all that excited. This should be an amazing opportunity for him to grab. Team is sluggish. There's not a ton of skill or players who really could keep him out of the lineup.

With Krieder there was flashes and glimpses of what could be. The speed was obvious. He scored a few goal-scorer goals. I could see tools to work with. I don't see anything in Miller that I can say, "he does that's really well." I have no feel for him as player.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
He doesn't stand out. On a time that as a whole doesn't play hard, where the bar is very low when it comes to effort, he isn't noticeable. Being the best player in Hartford really doesn't great me all that excited.

With Krieder there was flashes and glimpses of what could be. The speed was obvious. He scored a few goal-scorer goals. I could see tools to work with. I don't see anything in Miller that I can say, "he does that's really well." I have no feel for him as player.

Kreider was also:

1. A year older
2. A different kind of player
3. Probably a better prospect

How many 20 year old's are there outside of the guys drafted in the lottery who really have made a mark at the NHL level? If anything, blame Sather an co for trying to force him into the NHL lineup. Don't blame a 20 year old for not being ready when most guys his age haven't even stepped foot in the NHL yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce