Gordie Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Slather has come under heavy criticism and rightfully so. How about our draft guru? It appears to me that he also must share some responsibility. Our drafts have not produced many full time players, certainly no stars. Do you agree?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Slather has come under heavy criticism and rightfully so. How about our draft guru? It appears to me that he also must share some responsibility. Our drafts have not produced many full time players, certainly no stars. Do you agree?

We produced twice as many NHLers as the average team since Gordie took over our drafts. Drafting has nit been a problem.

We didn't finish our rebuilding. We had one late season rebuild effort. We should've dealt away Nylander, Straka, Jagr, etc the post-lockout season. Those assets may have given us the Cup instead of Eastern Conference Finals two years ago.

But fans, including those on this forum, would rather make the playoffs immediately than go for the Cup in 2-3 years. I had this argument here and most of the forum was in agreement that it is important to make the playoffs because it gives you the best chance to win since playoffs=chance.

The inability to sacrifice a little at present for a lot in the future is what has caused us to have one Cup in 74 years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There are teams that lose every year and never get a cup. There is no guarantee that if you lose 1,2, or 3 years you get a cup. There are teams that have cups that never had a #1 overall pick. How many high picks have teams like the Oilers and Columbus had? I think even Nash was a #1 pick.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Whenever I see Giroux or Carlsson or Tarasenko or Eberle in highlights, I always thank Gordie Clark.

richardsequalscup*

This thread is laughable. The Rangers don't tank seasons and have produced about 12 good NHL players over the past 5-8 years. It's not Clark's fault they lost 2 defenseman studs to career ending injuries. You take that hit on your defense, it's hard to recover from immediately.

Guy produces quality NHL players almost every season without drafting in the top 5.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
how about kreider, hagelin, and stepan highlights? do you thank him for those?

At what point do these kind of players become redundant? Clark has been unable to produce any top line dynamic players or any useful bottom 6 guys.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I would love to know what they envision Miller projecting to be. No urgency in his play.

Remember when people were ready to give Miller the third line center job prior to last season.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Just by looking at this roster and the state of the farm system, they entire FO deserves blame.

Reactions: Ori

RangersHank*

I would love to know what they envision Miller projecting to be. No urgency in his play.

Remember when people were ready to give Miller the third line center job prior to last season.

Remember 12-13 when people threw Kreider in the top 6? Lol

RangersHank*

This thread is laughable. The Rangers don't tank seasons and have produced about 12 good NHL players over the past 5-8 years. It's not Clark's fault they lost 2 defenseman studs to career ending injuries. You take that hit on your defense, it's hard to recover from immediately.

Guy produces quality NHL players almost every season without drafting in the top 5.

Where are the top 6 forwards?

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
There are teams that lose every year and never get a cup. There is no guarantee that if you lose 1,2, or 3 years you get a cup. There are teams that have cups that never had a #1 overall pick. How many high picks have teams like the Oilers and Columbus had? I think even Nash was a #1 pick.

The Penguins needed what, 4 #1 picks, and generational talent to win one Cup. Trading away every player worth beans for prospects and picks and picking near the top seems to be the least effective way to build a perennial powerhouse. Chicago had two shots to draft in the top 3 and they wound up with Toews and Kane. Look how many top picks Columbus, NYI, Tampa Bay, Florida, Ottawa, Edmonton, Pittsburgh have had. Between them they have one Cup and it's the team that wound up with a generational talent, possibly two.

I'd rather follow the NJD, Detroit, Boston, Anaheim method of building a solid core through shrewd UFA management, trades, and drafting, and having a roster and coaching philosophy
that reflect an overall united concept of winning hockey.

Losing = winning is only what sack of **** team's fans tell themselves of message boards as they watch mismanagement wreck their rosters on the road to the lottery every year.

RangersHank*

You can build a good team through free agency, just gotta make the right signings and make sure those guys fit the team. We had Gaborik and Richards, two signings that somewhat worked more than the others did but we destroyed the chemistry.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

That is on those team's management at the time, same as it is on the Rangers management right now.

None of those teams had a plan and stuck to it. The Oilers had a bunch of high picks, none used on D, none used on goalies.

Columbus kept drafting players who would rather go back overseas than play with them. They were even trading of players who did not want to be there

The Rangers in their market will always have players who want to come to them. When the time is right, once they have a foundation built on young talent, they should have no trouble attracting the right type of free agents need be. That can not be said for Edmonton or Columbus. Rangers have and have had an advantage they have been using to not only attract free agents, but they've used it to not only overpay for them but to also buy the wrong ones.

Look no further than Boston, Chicago, Pens, they have no problem with their top picks, and they have no problem signing the right free agents to supplement their picks.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
You can build a good team through free agency, just gotta make the right signings and make sure those guys fit the team. We had Gaborik and Richards, two signings that somewhat worked more than the others did but we destroyed the chemistry.

I do not see any examples in the league where any contender or recent past cup winner filled their most important positions with free agents.

RangersHank*

I do not see any examples in the league where any contender or recent past cup winner filled their most important positions with free agents.

I said sign guys to fill the most important positions? No i didnt. I said IF YOU MAKE THE RIGHT SIGNINGS, IT CAN WORK. Teams like us who fill positions with FA's suck

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd rather follow the NJD, Detroit, Boston, Anaheim method of building a solid core through shrewd UFA management, trades, and drafting, and having a roster and coaching philosophy
that reflect an overall united concept of winning hockey.

NJD when they were in true contention were built on draft pick, same as Detroit albeit later ones

Same for Boston, Anaheim, where do you think their players came from?

San Jose might be the only team out there who is not majorly built on their own draft picks but they used their own draft picks to trade for the players they wanted and even then they still have a couple former of their own first round picks on the team.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I said sign guys to fill the most important positions? No i didnt. I said IF YOU MAKE THE RIGHT SIGNINGS, IT CAN WORK. Teams like us who fill positions with FA's suck

It does not work, it works to a point, if you need some less improtant player, Stralman, Fedotenko... but unless those guys are added to a team who already has a bunch of home grown cost controlled talent all they do is improve the team to not good enough for real contention while never being bad enough to draft in position to get players who could put them into real contention.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
What kind of thread is this? The Rangers drafting is not the issue. They've produced good players. They never tank, which is what you need to do to get the top elite talent. That's Sather's fault.

RangersHank*

What kind of thread is this? The Rangers drafting is not the issue. They've produced good players. They never tank, which is what you need to do to get the top elite talent. That's Sather's fault.

How about drafting better players with our picks?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Clark has not been as great as most say but there is a nice homegrown core to build around. Slather has totally crapped the bed with his FA signings and trades which are a big disaster. I illustrated this very clearly here in the Fire Sather thread yesterday. Fire him. Clark is otoh a real jerk to work with. This I know for a fact from someone that worked with him. Can him too

Reactions: Ori

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That is on those team's management at the time, same as it is on the Rangers management right now.

None of those teams had a plan and stuck to it. The Oilers had a bunch of high picks, none used on D, none used on goalies.

Columbus kept drafting players who would rather go back overseas than play with them. They were even trading of players who did not want to be there

The Rangers in their market will always have players who want to come to them. When the time is right, once they have a foundation built on young talent, they should have no trouble attracting the right type of free agents need be. That can not be said for Edmonton or Columbus. Rangers have and have had an advantage they have been using to not only attract free agents, but they've used it to not only overpay for them but to also buy the wrong ones.

Look no further than Boston, Chicago, Pens, they have no problem with their top picks, and they have no problem signing the right free agents to supplement their picks.

Bostons cup came from guys like Chara, Tim Thomas, and Marchand not from tanking for a #1 pick. You named 2 teams that won and ignore all the losing teams that have never won. By the way we were a losing team the year Pitt won the Crosby lottery. The year before the Caps drafted AO #1 overall. Where are all their cups? I have no respect for the idea that we should try to purposefully try to lose games.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
*Looks back to past year's drafts and try to identify the one player picked in a late round that has been successful*

Well, how come you didn't pick THAT guy, Clark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad